• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake physics in Unreal Engine

#21 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:22 AM

That killstreak nonsense is more than enough to keep me away.
CoD gets close to my taste in many ways, but the things that ruin it are complete deal-breakers for me.

UrT has a strong platform of movement that I don't see Titanfall or CoD getting close to yet. I really wanted to fall in love with Titanfall, but so much of the finesse just feels clunky among many more important problems.
The movements in that CoD video remind me of Action: Half-Life which had a stunt/dive button but no wall jumps or Quake physics. It was fun, but it always ended with at least one idiot rolling around on the ground after a dive.

This is the direction I'm happy to see all of these mass produced FPS spin-off-sequels go. These games have always been WAY too slow to hold my interest when there's Urban Terror.
This sure doesn't look like it will pull me away entirely, but it's the first time I've felt any interest in giving a recent major studio multiplayer FPS a shot.
They're so pretty to look at, too bad the flavor is all chewed out of them before they ever get released.

I'm not against comparing UrT to CoD, C-S, AQ2, or anything else that it shares some spirit with. The differences between them put them in completely different classes other than 'FPS' once you learn to sprint.

#22 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

not sure if you watched the video i linked. the main difference between urt and cod.bo.3 appears to be urt's skill-driven approach. something fs can "afford" since they don't want to earn big money.

aim-down-the-sight seems rather obsolete in cod.bo.3 now since movement doesn't seem to have any effect on your aiming abilities. you can wallrun and intertwind with jumps you basically are walljumping. you even can hover in mid-air. powersliding is in there as well. aside from the unfair perk/ killstreak bullshit they need to even the odds for noobs, this game actually looks like something urthd migth aspire to be. holy shit.

imagine the stripped down e-sport version of cod.bo.3 and you might and up with something called urthd.

those major titles seem to have caught up when it comes to freedom of movement.

everything i wrote is based on this gameplay video, i have no idea how this game actually feels...
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#23 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 19 August 2015 - 06:40 AM

There's definitely a much smaller gap between UrT and cod.bo.3 than earlier titles, based solely on this video.
No apparent (need for) iron sights/ weapons always usable, people can fly, movement doesn't destroy aim...

It really is kinda hard to say without playing yet.
This looks easier to get from the start but doesn't top out as high; UrT physics make no sense until you figure them out, and then you can move 10x faster than this.
I think I'm seeing controller assistance with wall running clicking into a track. This gives an illusion of freedom but like Titanfall, it's actually pretty linear just more vertical than most FPS.
Not sure if I'm seeing that right.

Exactly what you said about FS being able to afford having no skill ceiling is what I see the differences will always be, and across the board.
This is not to say that it takes no skill to play CoD or that you can only get to a certain point, but CoD is made for profit and the game comes second. It has to be homogenized for mass consumption.

More agility in all FPS is a step forward to me.
This is good news.

#24 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

I'm personnally sure that it will feel like a TitanFall, slightly more dynamic though. I don't think they'll risk to have a bigger gap between their fans using a strafejumping substitute coming from another space/time like Shootmania or Titanfall shyly tried to have. These devs have to control a defined gap between players. They know Quake 3 "no limits" and how frustrating it can be. But still, they can play with these illusions mentionned above by BNihilist.
They added over the years the illusion that you rock, that you earn, that you move, that it is dynamic, that a lot of stuff is happening in the scene. But it's full of parasits (just like the sentence above). With huds notifications, FX, in 1st person animations, in third person animations, with camera moves. And now, they add to these illusions a new frame to the picture which are these new moves.
The reason it looks similar to Urt is that we can easily see Urt's limits which are today defined by stam, weaponry and accessories. But, I don't think you'd be catched that much by similarities between BO3 and Urt if Urt had grown with a leveldesign adapted to the gameplay the game had to offer years after the leveldesign spirit was defined. Having both of them compared so often recently is in a way a good thing to see which direction Urt should be pushed in. If you have played TitanFall or Brink you know how frustrating it can be to come from a game with almost no limits in terms of moves.

Anyway eventhough it's all about fun and popcorn I totally agree that this is great and promising to see this happening on consoles.

#25 User is offline   Kojakmbp Icon

• Account: kojakmbp

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Like to start mapping a jumpmap.
Is there any guide who can tell me the maximum gaps after 1, 2, 3…prejump?
For example:
1.pj = 1m
2.pj = 2.5m
3.pj = 4m

Or does it makes absolute no sense to start mapping right now?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:13 AM

View PostNounou, on 25 August 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

I'm personnally sure that it will feel like a TitanFall, slightly more dynamic though. I don't think they'll risk to have a bigger gap between their fans using a strafejumping substitute coming from another space/time like Shootmania or Titanfall shyly tried to have. These devs have to control a defined gap between players. They know Quake 3 "no limits" and how frustrating it can be. But still, they can play with these illusions mentionned above by BNihilist.
They added over the years the illusion that you rock, that you earn, that you move, that it is dynamic, that a lot of stuff is happening in the scene. But it's full of parasits (just like the sentence above). With huds notifications, FX, in 1st person animations, in third person animations, with camera moves. And now, they add to these illusions a new frame to the picture which are these new moves.
The reason it looks similar to Urt is that we can easily see Urt's limits which are today defined by stam, weaponry and accessories. But, I don't think you'd be catched that much by similarities between BO3 and Urt if Urt had grown with a leveldesign adapted to the gameplay the game had to offer years after the leveldesign spirit was defined. Having both of them compared so often recently is in a way a good thing to see which direction Urt should be pushed in. If you have played TitanFall or Brink you know how frustrating it can be to come from a game with almost no limits in terms of moves.

Anyway eventhough it's all about fun and popcorn I totally agree that this is great and promising to see this happening on consoles.

Hi all,

I have not played those games but with most games they are focused on multiplayer but also have a single player mode urt is only focussed on multiplayer so with the unreal 4 engine the modders and mappers are given new possibilities.

Right now it is still being worked on so we are all hoping for the best and see how it play's out anyway im sure if urt hd will stay true to urt also with the correct aspect ratio's and how it looks it should be nearly identical to the current urban terror when you would overlap the old and urt hd version of the game.

Adding more functions and is always nice but in my opinion the multiplayer aspect and gameplay are solid and are the game's strongest points and if this
would be taken out of proportion the is just not the same.
If it would look and feel like any other unreal engine 4 shooter out there I'm not sure how it would go.
And when urt comes out on a console i hope that console have a mouse and keybord haha.

This post has been edited by killspree: 29 August 2015 - 04:14 AM

#27 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:33 PM

If you look up why people like bad company 2 so much, compared to the other Battlefield games in the series, the most common word that keeps reappearing is 'simplistic'.

See where I'm going with this?

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 29 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#29 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:24 PM

Yes but that is a mainstream game with a single player mode urt focused only on multiplayer and it's not configured so that everybody can play and basicly have the same skill urt set's itself apart by being more competitive in that aspect.

#30 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 30 August 2015 - 12:15 AM

Jump mode is Urban Terror single player.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942