Ioq3 unofficial experimental test

Test packets synchronization-timing changes for the Urt-4.x engine

#11 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

Barbatos pre compiled for OSX..

“Quake3-UrT cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure Quake3-UrT works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.”

I then opened it up.. Went to contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64, dropped that in the Terminal.. Here’s the log. Hope it helps..

“LoveShack:~ loveshack$ /Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64 
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
	/Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
Trace/BPT trap: 5
LoveShack:~ loveshack$ “

I'm running OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) in a Mac Pro Tower, 12 gigs ram,two 2.66 GHz dual core Intel Xeon 5150 processors(quad core), Nvidia GTX 620 2 ghz card, UrT 4.3.2 client

This post has been edited by drunkrabbit: 10 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

#12 User is offline   travmon Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: travmon

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

compiled new linux-x86_64 binary. New test cpu usage seems normal. 4.3.1 sv_fps 60 test here My link

#13 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

View Postdrunkrabbit, on 09 March 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Barbatos pre compiled for OSX..
“Quake3-UrT cannot be opened because of a problem.
Check with the developer to make sure Quake3-UrT works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.”
I then opened it up.. Went to contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64, dropped that in the Terminal.. Here’s the log. Hope it helps..
“LoveShack:~ loveshack$ /Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64 
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/Quake3-UrT.x86_64
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
Trace/BPT trap: 5
LoveShack:~ loveshack$ “

I'm running OSX 10.11.6 (El Capitan) in a Mac Pro Tower, 12 gigs ram,two 2.66 GHz dual core Intel Xeon 5150 processors(quad core), Nvidia GTX 620 2 ghz card, UrT 4.3.2 client

I'm not MacOs user, but maybe you could try downloading the file libSDL-1.2.0.dylib from the official github, as it seems in last release there was a problem with it. After download maybe you must change execution permissions and substitute it in your folder
/Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/

#14 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

View Posttravmon, on 09 March 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

compiled new linux-x86_64 binary. New test cpu usage seems normal. 4.3.1 sv_fps 60 test here My link

Thanks for participating. Added IP:port of your test server to a list at the end of first post.
We will meet there.

This post has been edited by karnute: 10 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

#15 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

View Postkarnute, on 10 March 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'm not MacOs user, but maybe you could try downloading the file libSDL-1.2.0.dylib from the official github, as it seems in last release there was a problem with it. After download maybe you must change execution permissions and substitute it in your folder
/Users/loveshack/Games/UrbanTerror43/Quake3-UrT.app/Contents/MacOS/

I replaced the 1.2.0 dylib with your suggestion from github. It lives! heh.. Thank you.. For any one in OSX, here is a copy that should work for you..

https://www.mediafir...lr9rkmlojreur46

Thank you karnute and Barbatos.. :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   travmon Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

More test servers including openBSD here My link Compiled binaries for openbsd-amd64, linux-i386 linux-x86_64 and windows here My link

#17 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

View Posttravmon, on 11 March 2017 - 05:30 AM, said:

More test servers including openBSD here My link Compiled binaries for openbsd-amd64, linux-i386 linux-x86_64 and windows here My link

Again, thank you very much. Added links in first post.

My preliminary impressions, trying in your first test server (only few players) is that the changes do not harm and they can be slightly better only with well configured clients, but we will see. Don't forget to ask the players about their client and net configuration (specially snaps, rate, cl_maxpackets) and taking note if you see them warping.

#18 User is offline   travmon Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

From what i see 4.3.1 was released with cl_maxpackets and rate defaults too low and players with cl_maxpackets 30 and rate 8000, we got screwed out of unlocked sv_fps/snaps.

#19 User is offline   Mookiii Icon

• Account: mookiii
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

My Net-Configs from the last Weekend when we played was:

rate "32000"
cl_maxpackets "40"
snaps "60" 

And if its important in any way:

cg_smoothClients "0"
g_antiwarp "0"

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostMookiii, on 18 March 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

My Net-Configs from the last Weekend when we played was:
rate "32000"
cl_maxpackets "40"
snaps "60" 
And if its important in any way:
cg_smoothClients "0"
g_antiwarp "0"
Posted Image

Thanks, for the details. Your value of cl_maxpackets seems a little bit low compared to rate and snaps, but it also depends on your value of com_maxfps. If your internet connection has enough upload (to server) bandwidth, then cl_maxpackets can be equal to com_maxfps (if you have same stable real fps).
cg_smoothClients would have minor effect (and depends on g_smoothclients value on server), and g_antiwarp cvar is only applied on server.

Probably, as Travmon said, the problems of warpings could be produced in some servers due to bad combination of configs from weird default values in some clients. My proposed changes in this experimental test server should tend to compensate in some way those cases as it provides a little bit of adaptability to interpacket timings.

I am considering if an (optional) adaptive autoconfiguration for network cvars in clients could be feasible, so that users don't need to find magical combinations of cvars values to optimize the packets synchronization, and also that can adapt values in runtime depending on network connection and server response. But, as Frankie V said, netcode is an old beast very difficult to manage, because it was designed for the era of landline telephone modems with a very limited range of bandwidths...

This post has been edited by karnute: 19 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942