• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hit Detection Explained Rate Topic: -----

#101 User is offline   TehReaper Icon

• Account: tehreaper

Posted 31 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

View PostCritofur, on 25 January 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Sometimes it's so bad [to play vs a high pinger], that it's almost like cheating, to play w/a ping over 150. Not always, sometimes the high ping is still a disadvantage (as it should be!!!). It feels like more of a problem when the server has a lot of these high ping players on it (or, just a lot of players, it just feels like this game doesn't WORK properly on most servers, with more than about 6 players per side).

What's particularly bad, is high ping players moving side to side, it's like a glitch/exploit and they can avoid so many hits that they should have been taking - it can make you feel like you're shooting "ghost bullets" that have no affect.

When /SNAPS was briefly unlocked, and I could play at /SNAPS 60, ALL my hit detection problems were solved, it was like a miracle, the game play became so wonderful, I was in UrT Heaven. But then, it all came crashing down and the dream life ended, now we are forced back into the Hell that is /SNAPS 20 as the devs decided to re-lock the setting.

One thing for sure over the years - the hit detection for me, has been very inconsistent, across all versions of the game - in both 3.x and 4.x versions I've had some times where my hits were SO GOOD that it felt like I was cheating - I easily cut through 7 - 8 players in a row before being killed myself on some days, I felt like some kind of Demigod. It was not my skill, or the skill of my enemies going up or down, it was performance of the game/hits/netcode - for whatever reason, I wish so badly, that I could analyze complete what is behind when the game works well or does not.

Previous to 4.x there were some issues that do seem to have been resolved - there used to be this one player I saw all the time on Pub CTF servers named PoH. PoH was almost "hit proof" for me most of the time I played him. But, once 4.x came out, his magic power to avoid hits was GONE, and now I found him to be easy to beat, consistently. The lost of this almost magical hit-proof ability must have been discouraging - I presume that is why he quit from Urban Terror and I haven't seen him in years and years now.

Yeah, you're wrong. I notice no difference whatsoever in how my hits land on people based on ping. What does matter is how good the player is. This includes how well they can move in addition to aiming. I have a harder time hitting some players in particular because they're really good at not being stationary targets, not because of their ping. I've played on servers where I had 200+ ping against people that all had low ping and still had near 30% accuracy. I've also played where I'm the only low pinger and everyone else is over 200 ping and did the same. Where many people in the US get confused and blame it on ping I think, is that in general people from other countries are better than the players in the US IMO, and thus ping gets blamed instead of being honest about your skill level.

I hope a dev can chime in and explain to you why you should STFU about snaps.

#103 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:33 PM

Speaking of hit detection according to what I saw in Unreal as a performance I suggest that it might be a good idea to switch to projectile weapons .

#104 User is offline   bloodlock Icon

• Account: bloodlock

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:12 PM

the rate setting perceptively affect hit detection.
for a long time I though it was placebo effect, bot no, it really affects the shots you hit, and affects the hits you take also...
It vary from server to server, on some servers it works better at high values between 25000~32000, on other servers, specially the ones with more than 20 players, it works better with values between 12000~18000.
It also appears that using packetdup 3 helps with hit detection... in both ways.... so, low rate and packetdup 1 helps in dodging bullets somehow... I'm probably wrong, but It feels like that... :P

This post has been edited by bloodlock: 04 June 2020 - 11:14 PM

there is no knowledge that is not power...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
  • (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942