Urban Terror Forums: What are the ambitions for Resurgence ? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are the ambitions for Resurgence ?

#22 User is offline   Kirstenwilliamson23 Icon

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:40 AM

View Postscylk, on 27 June 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

I can see why the development pace is being so slow, if this is enough to confuse you.

4 years is the time it took for Battalion 1944 to be released after its Kickstarter campaign. This is an example of what can be done with an UE4 fps when the developers actually try to make something out of it.

10 years is the time in which Urban Terror hasn't made any progress. Yes, it peaked approximatively in 2009 in terms of playerbase and community, which is what really matters.
https://trends.googl...q=%2Fm%2F01r8wt

5 years is the time I thought you've been working on Resurgence, but apparently I was wrong. I've been told that it's actually closer to 7 years by now, as the decision to switch on UE4 was made in fall 2013.

By the way, developers deriding me instead of trying to address my questions actually tells a lot.

What were the problems? Is the industry toxic and not that as exciting as it seems?

#23 User is offline   NoYd Icon

• Account: noyd

Posted 17 December 2021 - 10:18 PM

View PostKirstenwilliamson23, on 08 June 2021 - 05:40 AM, said:

What were the problems? Is the industry toxic and not that as exciting as it seems?

Summary of the industry:
Excuse of passion to actually exploit you.

Worked in sound design there and the industry is very toxic. Indie is nice but requires a lot of dedication because basically you have to do everything so it's a lot of work, a lot of unpaid overtime, you're basically sacrifying your life for your passion with 99% chance of failure. Lots of indie games come out but never make a financial success so basically you worked your ass off for nothing. Just compare it to all the entertainement industry basically. Music industry, film industry, it's all the same. There is so much competition, you have to be better in both development, art, sound design, marketing, everything, and also be very lucky to succeed. How many awesome games I saw just fell into abyss because they just weren't lucky. Good marketing, hell lot of fun playing it, just no luck. The big companies are even worse to me, you may have less overtime but a lot of crush few weeks before you release a game, you have less responsibilites, managers, and your work is more diluted in the grand scheme of things. So all in all it's the same, just corporate culture and all the negative sides coming with it.

I can understand the hard position of FS team and also the disappointment of the community. It's a team of passionate people, doing their best to produce something awesome which seems so simple but is actually so hard to create. When you are just a player you don't understand how hard it is to create a game but also get feedback from your community and especially dealing with the negative one. And it's understandable, I've been there, until I worked in the industry. And now the only thing I'm seeing as a whole in the industry is a lack of transparency and communication. A lack of communication on the difficulty of making a game. I mean it's also understandable, you're not gonna say "wait everyone, it's hard to make a game, please be good with us". People don't really care because they have not been there. Of course for 0.01% of "awesome people" at "awesome studios" it's not "that hard" to create a game, but trust me, a game is a hell of a technology miracle. It requires a lot of team effort, a lot of creativity, a lot of everything. We need everyone, and when one game stands out, it's a pure miracle, it just means everyone is kinda on the same page, on something which is so complex.

So yeah, it's not a lack of ambition. I think FS team really wants to release the most awesome game they can release, and I also think UrT community wants also the best for the game, comparing it to nowadays standards. But please everyone, keep in mind this is hard for everyone, developers and players. It's VERY hard to develop a game. And we should be grateful that we have such a dedicated team still working on the game. I would have abandoned the project personally, and they are still fkn here. WTF? Are you fkn mad still believing in UrT? I stopped believing in it years ago, and you're there working your ass off. WTF? You are insane, and that's what I like about you. Persistence. SO yeah, they are doing their best on their free time and I think we should all respect that. But also devs, you already know this, but thousands of people made great memories on this game. It's like a love relationship, it's been part of player's lives, deeply, in their childhood, teenagers years or even after. UrbanTerror was something awesome at a time. It was friendships, it was clans, it was tournaments, it was jump servers, it was fkn Nations Cup, it was everything. It is not anymore due to impossible competition in multiplayer FPS games. And it's ok, no worries, stay focused. But what's awesome is that there are still people remembering the game coming here to discuss, and people developing a better version of the game on the free time. How??

We're all in the same shit, wanting for something of the past to become something of the present, something awesome we could all enjoy and get the same sensations we had, but even better. But between dreams and reality, there is such a void, and conflicts can happen very fast because of a lack of understanding on both sides. So ffs, please devs, continue to work on this awesome game, even if it doesn't happen it is still worth it because we appreciate your effort, your persistence and your dedication. And ffs players, be mindful of how much it's hard to develop a game. And if you still don't empathize, download UE4, and begin to make a fork of UrT for just 2 weeks. You will understand after that why the game is still in development.

Let's just remember the good days, and the shit fun we had on this game and the shit fun we maybe will have, I hope :)

Love everyone, take care.

This post has been edited by NoYd: 17 December 2021 - 10:44 PM

#24 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:45 PM

I'd argue that it is not necessary to have a game developing experience (sure, for details you need exp, but for a basic concept you don't) to see how hard is to do a game.
A little commonsense and a bit of searching before asking questions can help.
As for seeing the difficulty with explaining one and the same thing to dumb people I can tell you that I've seen that kind of topic way too often for my liking.
The 2nd time you see it it tiring and boring, and I've seen it like 1000.
As of why FS devs always try to answer as if it brand new is beyond me. It is the same old copy-pasted topic. I for instance in their case would do templates.
This and this topic, same question, this template. Loses less time, less annoyance. Why is there an FAQ section? Isn't it for such cases?
It is pretty much a FAQ question. And it is always asked in the very same manner.

The other problem is that usually someone who has no basic clue of anything is telling you what to do. Of such people, I really got an allergy.
Why are even popular game developers mentioned?! Like they are good at doing video games.
'' But they are pro '' Like being a professional is some guarantee of quality.
And indeed it is not quality, nor creativity which is desired, but quantity.
They are not even trying to do games in the first place, but a commercial product that earns money.
Copy-Paste next year, the dumb consumer base doesn't mind, not at all.
They've proven for at least 15-16 years that they(pro devs) are nothing, but idiots.
(And the regress started much earlier. Let's not forget that the thing-that-shouldn't-be-named is made in 1999)

If you like even remotely the commercial games go to a psychiatrist. And you need a good one.
If there were not a mass of mindless consumers their so-called ''games'' wouldn't have even a single sell and declare a well-deserved bankruptcy. Not to mention a ruined reputation for life.

As for making a game/games on your own, I forgot to mention that there are already pampered solutions.
So what is really considered as making a valid game?
One can produce relatively easy an application with the most basic functionality that will poorly work 1 of 100 000 times.
The rest of the tryed it will not even start or it will bug badly soon after the program cycle is commencing.
Does that count for real?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#27 User is offline   Txc Icon

Posted 30 January 2022 - 12:15 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 01 January 2022 - 09:28 PM, said:

Because it's not about the question but rather engaging with the community. A personal response is a lot more inviting than a bot generated response.

As in me responding to this question? :D

Because that interaction generates funds to keep the site going and etc.
Not from you don't. I can give you screenshots if you wish. I got reasons to doubt the quality of the next UrT and where the whole thing is going (especially after summer 2018). And of course, one user more or less doesn't affect you, however for me is matter of principle as well as I did learn my lesson decades ago that having low expectations lead to a more positive experience for me. You cannot be disappointed by something youdon't expect much of it ;)

I didn't say outsource the issue to a machine, did I?

And by the way, if you are wondering I don't come here to read the forum or reply to you as a main reason, but check if the new stage of development will got revealed this winter as a FS devs have said that might happen. And yes, it didn't happen which is ok to me and simply will continue to wait.

I said use templates, you can do them yourself. Took a bit of time for a short period when you have such an opportunity and make a perfect template. You can even manually copy-paste it even. You can add stuff to it if there is eventually such a need in some cases (according to my observations there is none most of the time, all that ask you those types of questions do it as if they are clones),but it is the idea that to be your basis of the answer.
Anyway, it is up to you, I am just the one who is providing that suggestion.

As of why I am replying to you now the way I see it you can probably use it and free some time, less annoyance and I hate the loss of information. Have you read ''Terminator''?
Particularly the second book got some interesting bits. I like mostly the part where the Terminator interprets the given information IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE.
I always wanted the information I give to someone to assimilate in such a way. But seems most biological ovens are not so advanced. Such a shame.
Not that this too cannot be enjoyed...
With some pinch of sarcasm, but it is a cheap & annoying type of fun.

Perhaps I should spam like some all the time : ''When you are goin to release it?''
It would've been very personal, very unique, very clone like. Wait, doesn't clone like and unique sound like contradiction? But who am I to tell.

And as e speak about Terminator, do you know that judgement day will happen in 2029?
So not to push you or anything, but it would be kinda good if we got something and like next iteration of Urban Terror take less forever before we got all slaughtered like pigs by those relentless machines.

Or even worst case scenario that everyone got so idiotic. that there is none to play UrT when finally it get out. And there is a serious trend of people becoming idiots for at least 15 years now. I don't know about you but I prefer the variant when we got finished by robots after e got few years of the newest Urban Terror experience (If the said experience is worth it).

Also, it is very possible the robot makers to not be on the needed level and victim of the mass retardization spreading along the globe and fail miserably.
Now this will be more disapointing than UrT failing.

PS Franky V since you enjoy so much personal conversation I could send you some nigerian princes that I got in my mail spam box. And they have a lot of those. How nigerians are able to feed so much nobility is beyond me.

#28 User is offline   Txc Icon

Posted 30 January 2022 - 01:55 PM

And I just a second ago remember that I forgot to mention that a proper interaction would be if one of the conversation partisipants got new information and eventually got pushed to understand new things. It could be just a hint, in fact it is bette saidallr if it is not. Just hint him, not go all the instaed of him.

Let him fail. If he don't understand and find a use of the hint/s, fair enough. It is up to him. Next!

As there was a certain writer back in the day who said: ''The good writer doesn't go to down to the readers level, he pulls the reader up to his level''

#29 User is offline   Frostwarrior Icon

Posted 16 February 2022 - 02:40 PM

I'm not denying all the effort the FS team is doing for the game.
But it's been 8 years now. 4 years since the "Alpha Yet? Over 4 Years Now" topic. Most servers are closed now and most people moved on.

It really feels that there's something wrong with the kind of strategy this project is following.
On one side, it exposes the same behaviour as open source ones on github: "we're doing this for fun, you are not paying us so we do what we want".
On the other side, there's this secrecy akin to a commercial game studios where any info about "progress" is hidden from the public and there's this general precaution of not doing an incorrect release for fear of losing its userbase (even if it's already lost by the sheer amount of time that has passed).

Sorry but it seems like it combines the worst of the two worlds.
Yes it's free. Yes the game was great.
But 8 years is too much time. People already moved on and not only patient ran out, but also expectations died.

And I even wonder how the devs feel about this. I'm a developer myself and I would be tired and frustrated if some project I'm working on takes this amount of time without a public release.

This post has been edited by Frostwarrior: 16 February 2022 - 02:40 PM

#30 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:23 PM

Urban Terror 4.1 still works fine. You may not like it but 4.1 is what the peak of FPS gaming looks like :laugh:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942