• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Recover old good maps. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Yoorrikab Icon

• Account: yoorrikab

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

I have already started this discussion in the wrong section, so I continue here ...

So, after the last upgrade, the game lost 200 MB of textures, so some maps depict a flag instead of textures.
This error is easily fixed. 15-30 minutes is enough. You just added some deleted textures from the old archive of the game UrT to the "textures" folder of this map. Usually after this the card slightly increases its size by 2-10%.

Of course, you should not change the name of the map, but only add an index to the name of the map, for example, "f", which means "fixed textures" and add information to the txt-file of it map, that you just added the lost textures, but you are not the Author of the map.

Of course, we want the Authors of the maps to restore their maps ... but almost all the good maps were built 10-20 years ago, now many Authors of the maps have forgotten UrT ..

As already said, this is a very simple action to add textures to the old map.

Big problem: many good old maps have low brightness on UrT 4.3.4

Why is this so?
I have no answer, but I can say that the maps from "Quake 3" it is low brightness, but the maps from "Elite Force" it is normal brightness on the UrT 4.3.4 ..

Changing the "r_gamma" parameter does not solve the problem, the brightness increases, but the color and contrast deteriorates.

For example, compare these good old (edition year 2000) maps padgarden.pk3 and padkitchen.pk3 from "Elite Force" for UrT 4.3.4
http://www.mediafire...den_f1.pk3/file
http://www.mediafire...hen_f1.pk3/file

Posted Image

... and these are maps padgarden.pk3 and padkitchen.pk3 from "Quake 3" for UrT 4.3.4
http://sebsauvage.ne...4/padgarden.pk3
http://sebsauvage.ne.../padkitchen.pk3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Yoorrikab: 11 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

#2 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

I believe to play to old maps you need to use the version of UrT they where intended for, solving the texture and lighting issues.

And that lighting levels have been changed in recent versions of UrT to allow map makers greater freedom with subtle lighting, I support that decision. Lighting is important to making maps look good and to maintain contemporary standards.

You can NOT modify an existing maps lighting unless you are the author or have their permission and even then it isn't a simple fix.

It may be possible to create a texture pack which would fix missing texture issues, though I believe you may need the creators permission, in some cases if it has not already been given, to re-release and re-package their work.

I hope you find some solutions to at least some of the issues, for some of the maps, gl, hf.

#3 User is offline   Yoorrikab Icon

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostSneaks, on 11 May 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

I believe to play to old maps you need to use the version of UrT they where intended for, solving the texture and lighting issues.

And that lighting levels have been changed in recent versions of UrT to allow map makers greater freedom with subtle lighting, I support that decision. Lighting is important to making maps look good and to maintain contemporary standards.

You can NOT modify an existing maps lighting unless you are the author or have their permission and even then it isn't a simple fix.

It may be possible to create a texture pack which would fix missing texture issues, though I believe you may need the creators permission, in some cases if it has not already been given, to re-release and re-package their work.

I hope you find some solutions to at least some of the issues, for some of the maps, gl, hf.

I read your message and I take note of your opinion, but I will use such cards that I like.

#4 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostYoorrikab, on 11 May 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

these are maps padgarden.pk3 and padkitchen.pk3 from "Quake 3" for UrT 4.3.4

Pad maps are from the game "World of Padman" not Quake 3. An old friend of mine converted those around 10 years ago.
The pak0.pk3 file from Quake 3 fixes all the textures from a lot of the old maps. Many of us have used this solution in the past

This post has been edited by TheRealFubar: 11 May 2019 - 04:22 PM

#5 User is offline   rfx Icon

• Account: rfx

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Hey, don't want to hijack this thread at all but I feel out of the loop.

Granted, I haven't been playing for some time and I'm an "old time player", i.e. 15-20 years ago.

My observation was the UrT only incrementally improved over time, i.e. adding wall jumps etc. Of course back then there was this occasional "texture flag" problem when maps where broken by itself or did depend on other maps texture (by accident for example), so I get this.

But I feel I'm missing what happened here in the big picture...

It seems a new version (major version number?) was released which can still load old maps but fails to properly render them because the base game misses textures, is that the gist? And on top of that, the engine was improved for better lighting which _also_ is incompatible with old maps.

Is that a accurate summary or can someone more knowledgeable fill me in?

Much appreciated,
thanks you!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Yoorrikab Icon

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

View Postrfx, on 11 May 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

I think you can easily find the answer to your question.
Download from these archives(approximately 2500 maps) random 20-30 maps, then start your server and view these maps.
https://sebsauvage.net/q3ut4/
https://maps.pro-gam...vers.net/q3ut4/
http://downloads.urb...org/maps/q3ut4/
You will see that from 2% to 5% of the maps will have lost textures ("flags"), and from 40% to 60% of the maps will be dark.
Lost textures (flags) are easy to restore, but it is very difficult to restore proper lighting.
Lost textures and poor lighting are the result of the latest "correct upgrades" UrT.
There is a joke: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. :smile:

This post has been edited by Yoorrikab: 11 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

#8 User is offline   Yoorrikab Icon

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

View PostBladeKiller, on 11 May 2019 - 09:27 PM, said:

The old maps were 3rd party maps that were packaged with the game as a thank you to all the community level designers when the development team thought we were going to quit. We don't have the sources for those maps and can't update them. They were eventually removed from the main game package as well as the textures used by them to make the game download smaller. Some of the separate 3rd party maps look like they depended on the same textures instead of packaging them with their maps.

I can add lost textures to the map, it's just 15 minutes of my time. No problem.
I am interested in the problem of dark maps.
Is it fundamentally impossible to increase the illumination of the map if you do not have the source files?
Specifically, I am interested in the ut_forrest.pk3 map.
This old map was made in 2002 year ...
http://sebsauvage.ne.../ut_forrest.pk3
I’m not a programmer or designer, I’m a simple UrT 4.3.4 server administrator

This post has been edited by Yoorrikab: 11 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

#10 User is offline   z0mb1ebob Icon

• Account: z0mb1ebob

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

View Postrfx, on 11 May 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Hey, don't want to hijack this thread at all but I feel out of the loop.

Granted, I haven't been playing for some time and I'm an "old time player", i.e. 15-20 years ago.

My observation was the UrT only incrementally improved over time, i.e. adding wall jumps etc. Of course back then there was this occasional "texture flag" problem when maps where broken by itself or did depend on other maps texture (by accident for example), so I get this.

But I feel I'm missing what happened here in the big picture...

It seems a new version (major version number?) was released which can still load old maps but fails to properly render them because the base game misses textures, is that the gist? And on top of that, the engine was improved for better lighting which _also_ is incompatible with old maps.

Much appreciated,
thanks you!

I do so delcare that I believe your musings to be somewhat in the manor of correctness good sir! (%_%)
Bomb mode p1st0ls/n@de/spaz/sn1pe /connect zb1.zombieferrets.com

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942