Urban Terror Forums: new, ambitious map repo site, help wanted! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new, ambitious map repo site, help wanted! Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

#1 User is offline   thirsty Icon

• Account: thirsty
  • Main tag: FSK405|

Posted 24 June 2021 - 03:02 AM

--- INTRO ---

Cutting to the chase, here's a preview site of things so far: Live site on github pages

I started working on a new map repository website last year. The main purpose of it is to answer the frequent question of: "remember that one map with that one thing? What was it called?" With over 1000 third-party maps available, and most repositories having tiny screenshots that don't really show you much of the map, it can be really hard to track down the map you're thinking of. This could also be a good project for me to flex my new web development skills. But it's too much for me to tackle alone. And the lack of participation from my clan is killing my motivation. So, I'm looking for more people to help with the project in the following ways:

--- WAYS TO HELP ---

We need big screenshots of lots and lots of maps, though a few at a time here and there is all it takes to eventually get things built up. Ideally, each map should have at least 3 representative screenshots, and be gamma adjusted to look good on the web. The main client has a problem with gamma on some people's computers that you can work around through nVidia's control panel, but that doesn't translate into the screenshots. Supposedly there's some jump client that fixes this, but I have no experience with it myself. There's also this: "cg_draw2d will turn off HUD"

We need someone (or maybe more than one person) to do some data entry into a database. Each map has little details and features that need to be entered. I currently have screenshots for like 10 more maps that aren't visible because of no database entries for them.

If anyone else knows React web programming, or at least advanced Javascript, then code contributions would be welcome, too. The project is currently open source licensed, and pull requests would be welcome.

All of these areas come with free training "at no extra cost!" on how to do it well (except where to find that jump client that I'm hoping someone can point to). Interested parties should post here, or pm me. Discord and e-mail are also options for coordination/communication.

--- CURRENT STATUS ---

Clicking the tags works well, instantly filtering on maps matching that feature, and clicking again deselects it. Although you can type in the search bar, it won't match with the tags yet. When you click on a screenshot, it just opens it full size and you have to hit refresh to go back to the main page.

Here's a project management page I set up detailing some of the features being worked on and being planned: Trello project management page link

And here's the github code repository: developer link

--- PHILOSOPHY: why or why not ---

The benefits seem obvious to me and already talked about in the intro a bit. But one reason not to bother is if the new version of UrT finally comes out and all these maps become unplayable and obsolete. On the other hand, maybe that's a reason to do it anyway, as an archival project to help preserve a piece of these maps long-term.

--

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on site features that aren't already in the Trello page, or whatever. Hopefully at least one person that sees this thinks it may be worth helping with, too, or knows someone that might be interested.

#2 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:01 PM

You can have at our repo.

Pretty screenshots here. click thumbnail for big picture.. https://risenfromash...maps/index.html

dl here... https://risenfromashes.us/maps/q3ut4/

#3 User is offline   thirsty Icon

Posted 25 June 2021 - 12:04 AM

RFA's repo is pretty good, looks like 250+ maps, and 1 decent sized screenshot apparently, though at least some look too dark, suffering from the gamma issue. And that might be a good start for what I'm envisioning. But for it to work, we really need someone to help with database editing (which is not that hard, just time consuming). Or, we need someone to help with coding a login and change tracking system so random people can help edit things, sort of wiki style.
I was also thinking we could filter on other criteria, like map play size (looking for small maps only for 2v2?), or author (I know whats-her-name made the one I'm looking for). Or there can be sorting options for like the map's release date (I think the map came out around year X), etc. In order for that sorting and filtering to work, one or more people needs to put all those details into the database.

This post has been edited by thirsty: 25 June 2021 - 12:11 AM

#4 User is offline   TheRealFubar Icon

Posted 25 June 2021 - 06:14 PM

Adding all that info is going to be very, very time consuming because you'll have to load every map. Some old maps have textures missing for some players (The old pak0.pk3 problem from years ago). I have at my disposal one of the biggest indexes of maps from the old Seattle mapps mapps mapps server which was one of the first servers going. Email me if you're interested in the maps, I can't give out the address to just everybody. Good luck with this project!

#5 User is offline   thirsty Icon

Posted 26 June 2021 - 03:16 AM

It may take a while, but in bit size chunks, it will eventually get there. I see no reason to turn down such a link, so, e-mail sent!

This post has been edited by thirsty: 16 July 2021 - 08:02 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 28 June 2021 - 11:01 AM

The site looks really nice.
Filtering for maps without a given tag could be usefull.

#7 User is offline   thirsty Icon

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:44 AM

I'll consider that a +1 vote for that idea. It is mentioned in the Backlog cards on the Trello project management page, meaning it's on the list of ideas already, but hasn't been moved over to the more immediate priority categores of To-Do or Doing.

#8 User is offline   Txc Icon

• Account: txc
  • Main tag: [Sk&Bh]

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:32 PM

View Postdrunkrabbit, on 24 June 2021 - 09:01 PM, said:

You can have at our repo.

Pretty screenshots here. click thumbnail for big picture.. https://risenfromash...maps/index.html

dl here... https://risenfromashes.us/maps/q3ut4/

As pretty as the screenshots might be the map download is not working. I decided to try downloading a map needed for some demos and it doesn't work or I am missing something. Clicking on a map hyperlink returns a page full of gibberish text.

#9 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:44 PM

View PostTxc, on 07 July 2021 - 08:32 PM, said:

Clicking on a map hyperlink returns a page full of gibberish text.

Sounds like your browser is trying to display the map archive file as text for some reason. Do a right click and select "Save link" instead.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#10 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 07 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

View PostIye, on 07 July 2021 - 08:44 PM, said:

Sounds like your browser is trying to display the map archive file as text for some reason. Do a right click and select "Save link" instead.

Sounds like he's using Chrome.. "Right click, save as" works.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942