Urban Terror Forums: 4.2 Feature Preview - Jump Map Training - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4.2 Feature Preview - Jump Map Training Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   nemesis Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Tester
  • Account: nemesis

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:13 AM

I really like this idea, TY 27 :D

about the map ending before less-skilled jumpers finish, they could just practice offline on their own local server, then go back online to hand out some whoopins  :-)

I'm not really into this whole jumping thing and I will say that I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to its viability, but I do have some comments of my own to make.  I did take the time to watch a server one day and I think more would prefer to be around others when working out how to get through these maps.  I can't speak for others, but it appeared to me that commradere was key to the enjoyment of these maps.  I personally would find it frusterating to have this interrupted by someone much better than I.  I think most of you that have ever entered a foot race don't necessarily quit even though someone has already won and I can see the same thing translates here.

Anyways, I feel that this is a step in the right direction to make this 'mode' more interesting.  I also feel that it would behoove the jumping community to build their community base by making lower level maps.  I'm talking about the lowest level map being no more difficult than jumping the fence on sanc and then moving up to more complex evil misato san creations.  I know that complexity builds currently on a map basis and this is ok, but I wonder how this is any different from playing against a stacked team over and over on a pub.  The newer portion of your community is bound to quit out of pure frustration sooner or later if there is no possibility of winning on a per map basis.  Perhaps a map cycle with with ever increasing difficulty would be more interesting.  If that is impossible, perhaps someone would be willing to kick start a tournament like Rambetter on maps that people can warm up for.

I said before that I'm a bit of a skeptic.  I think again like Rambetter that you will need to constantly adjust your maps to make them more interesting.  I beat single player games in the past and never bothered to play them ever again (ex: pac in time, megaman).  It would also be welcomed if some of you out there would spend more time not making unsightly maps. :)  Perhaps even new player features such as wall sliding would also be of interest (*hint* *hint*).

nem` 

#22 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:27 AM

you're right, it is more fun with others on the server.

#23 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:37 AM

You're right, I'm not completely sold on the idea of the map simply ending when someone collects all the goals.

I'll make it a cvar.

As for the actual usage and design of this in a community setting, it doesn't specifically have to be laid out like a race.

Jump maps currently are done as one big long snake of progressive tricks.

What I actually envision being made now are more "hub" style maps.

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 22 August 2008 - 01:39 AM

27, The way you described it, is exactly how lots of the jump maps in ET are designed.

Thats why i mentioned the trickjump line idea. It was pretty useful for the 'noobs' to get assistance with certain jumps they just fail on.

#25 User is offline   Courgette Icon

•   community dev   
    B3 bot developer
  • Account: courgette
  • Main tag: [B3]

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:16 AM

That's a greet news !

HOPEFULLY this'll allow mappers to update their jump maps to make competitive scenarios - I'd love to hear some feedback on this!

I've developed a 'chrono' plugin for the B3 bot to (guess what) record the time a player take to finish a jump map.
The only reason that this plugin is not public yet is that I had no way of knowing if someone reached the end from reading the log. So at the moment it works based on the trust we put in registered jumpers and with players starting/stopping their own chrono.

The crystal thing is brilliant. I suppose we will find in the log something with the player slot and the number/label of the crystal reached.

Could it be possible to give map dev 2 things :
* a special crystal for the end of the map
* a departure zone that will write to the log file when a player leave it.
That way it would be possible to have bots start/stop a chrono pretty accurately and in a fair manner (no human intervention)

will the score of players represent the number of crystals reached ?

I hope this will allow to start jump competitions :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

Yeah both of those things are already in.
You should be able to track progress via logs very easily.

#27 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

I think he said trigger_hurt and lemmings still kill you...no?

I'm gonna have such a laugh playing godmode exclusively  :roll:

#28 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

I like the jump mode idea but I'd like to see it used on regular maps. I'm not a big jump map fan, I prefer to learn them on the maps I actually play.

#29 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:40 AM

I like the jump mode idea but I'd like to see it used on regular maps. I'm not a big jump map fan, I prefer to learn them on the maps I actually play.

Me too!  - LOL -  but I admit that icyjumps4 has me hooked for the moment. Been stuck on the speedup jump for days now.  :cry:

BF

#30 User is offline   kick52 (old) Icon

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:42 AM

I hope that you've fixed more important things (READ: awful teamkilling bug) before doing this.
But sounds good!

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942