Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

xorg vs. xfree Rate Topic: -----

#11 Guest_netcode

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:07 PM

I only tested FreeBSD 4.X on my machine and it's very nice. Looking forward to see FreeBSD 5.X but now Slackware :P

#12 User is offline   gk245 (old) Icon

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:37 AM

does x.org support nvidia drivers?

#13 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 22 June 2004 - 02:34 PM

X.org does support nvidia yes.

Just installed freeBSD and updated it. Frankly it's quite awesome in terms of speed and logical organisation. Will also get you a few additional fps in urban terror apparently :)

#14 Guest_netcode

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

Xorg supports nvidia and some drivers from ATI ( the Xfree 4.3 one's ).

#15 Guest_crache

Posted 23 June 2004 - 07:44 AM

Nice to see all the slackware users. I would try out freebsd on my main machine, but the linux kernel has had a lot of recent nforce2 updates and usually freebsd lags behind on new things like that for a while, so best to wait. I'm sure the biggest problem would be getting the optical output to work, which is not exactly a showstopper.
-running slackware current weekly since 8.1

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

writing this with Slack 10...on xorg ;)
fps really seem to be a bit higher here
still need to get everything running like b4 tho before i can scrap my mdk partitons

#17 User is offline   gk245 (old) Icon

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

if anyone needs help installing this, check this thread out:

http://episteme.arst...&m=897003555631

#18 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:58 PM

I can't seem to make up my mind. Back on gentoo and got rid of freeBSD partition since I can't find the time to learn freeBSD to the point where I can alter it as easily as linux.
Installed X.org and frankly I don't notice any difference in terms of speed or memory footprint. Even urban terror runs the same, with the sensitivity now being a lot higher at same sens value. Ow well, tomorrow we'll see Xorg 6.8 and since I'm an eye candy enthousiast, more is better :)
Already ran the composite thingie on keith P's framebuffer x-server freedesktop without any acceleration and it still was reasonably fast. Can't wait for a transparent movie playing on top of urban terror :twisted:

#19 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:19 PM

Just installed new X.org (the pre 6.8.0) and the nice features seem to work just fine :)

http://wilma.vub.ac....tommel/pwnt.jpg

#20 User is offline   gk245 (old) Icon

Posted 30 August 2004 - 11:06 PM

installed X.org and frankly I don't notice any difference in terms of speed or memory footprint. Even urban terror runs the same, with the sensitivity now being a lot higher at same sens value.

I think the only benefit of installing it right now is that you will have x.org instead of xfree86...this matters because almost the entire linux community is going towards x.org, so you're gonna have to install it sooner or later.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942