Urban Terror Forums: what do you set your field of vision at? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

what do you set your field of vision at? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Poll: what do you set your field of vision at? (257 member(s) have cast votes)

what do you set your field of vision at?

1. 90 (34 votes [13.18%])

Percentage of vote: 13.18%

2. 95 (11 votes [4.26%])

Percentage of vote: 4.26%

3. 100 (35 votes [13.57%])

Percentage of vote: 13.57%

4. 105 (21 votes [8.14%])

Percentage of vote: 8.14%

5. 110 (157 votes [60.85%])

Percentage of vote: 60.85%

Vote

#81 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

there's a problem with zooming fovs (<90) that if they don't remain locked it may create imbalances; e.g. the g36 appears to be like that with its zooming in mind; it ads to it.

#82 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: wolfseye
  • Main tag: FCDE-

Post icon  Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

View Postmitsubishi, on 10 May 2010 - 02:18 PM, said:

there's a problem with zooming fovs (<90) that if they don't remain locked it may create imbalances; e.g. the g36 appears to be like that with its zooming in mind; it ads to it.

That at least sounds like an issue but please don't go into that "ITS A CHEAT" discussion just because one does like to run 90 and one 110.

Next time its unfair for those that have 26" Monitors and run UrT in a insane resolution, that they can see so much more and better than someone with a 17" Monitor and 1280 x 1024 Resolution. When does it stop ?

This post has been edited by Wolfseye: 10 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

#83 User is offline   H0i Icon

•   former FS member   
    Modeler
  • Account: h0i

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Noobs like 90. The enemy is big so they can aim on it easily.
Pro's like 110. They see more and don't really have a problem with the smaller enemies.

It's a matter of choice and it's not really a cheat. Just a config setting. Saying this is a cheat is the same as saying that changing a crosshair, or having a bigger monitor is a cheat, because it is an advantage. People learn that they can change settings when they get better, it's a part of the learning curve.

#84 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

View PostH0i, on 10 May 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

Noobs like 90. The enemy is big so they can aim on it easily.
Pro's like 110. They see more and don't really have a problem with the smaller enemies.

It's a matter of choice and it's not really a cheat. Just a config setting. Saying this is a cheat is the same as saying that changing a crosshair, or having a bigger monitor is a cheat, because it is an advantage. People learn that they can change settings when they get better, it's a part of the learning curve.

Exactly my point. ;)

#85 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostH0i, on 10 May 2010 - 02:52 PM, said:

Noobs like 90. The enemy is big so

That's quite patronizing.

[especially since otherwise the image distorts from normal.]

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 10 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#87 User is offline   Wolfseye Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

View PostRaideR, on 10 May 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

I have no issue with having a fov setting, each to their own. But it should be locked once the game stars. Thus, you need to quit back to the menu in order to set it differently. Thus removing the scripting element.

I'm not about to nazi say no Fov, that would be silly. But having it changeable on the fly with scripts is silly imo.

In my case, I am not using Scripts, mostly because I am too stupid to do it :laugh: but just like you said.

"each to their own."

Because basically everyone could do it with Scripting if they wanted to, so its not unfair to anyone unless someone doesn't know how to do it (which isn't other peoples fault!) or don't want to do it with Scripts. And even in this case it would be just this person's choice, nothing else.

I just don't think UrT needs another locked cvar. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Wolfseye: 10 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

#89 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

locked once the game stars.

that's an interesting idea but i wouldn't care either way myself.

the foving on scripts was a major part of 'zooming with scripts' on q3 since they were able to go below, here's less important.

#90 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

I have no issue with having a fov setting, each to their own. But it should be locked once the game stars. Thus, you need to quit back to the menu in order to set it differently. Thus removing the scripting element.

I'm not about to nazi say no Fov, that would be silly. But having it changeable on the fly with scripts is silly imo.

I'm definitely guilty to what Raider here accuse of. But I can understand what he is trying to get to: uneven playing field where a newbie player doesn't know they can achieve certain feature in the game with client-sided config scripting because the options screen in UrbanTerror doesn't provide them out-of-the-box.
As an urt config scripter. I can't help but to think that this fault lies with FrozenSand not providing these options in their "Controls options" screen. Thus unintended or intendedly hidden these settings from the eyes of a new/unexperienced player.
ioUrT 1.35 that comes with UrT 4.1 even defaults provide you with a script in your q3config.cfg (bind f12 vstr record_demo) but also not available in the controls options screen to change this particular key binding.
In fact, there are more options missing in the Controls, Options and System setup screen which the player actually might want to change the behavior of(such as in_mouse), or some strange options inconsistency. An example of such inconsistency: Under "Game Options" -> "Chat settings" are options where you can set the amount of chat lines and how long they appear, but you can only set the amount of lines for (kill/popup)messages(no,not the bigtext), without the option how long they appear.

Don't get me wrong tho. I'm not just blindly throwing criticism here. I've been recently started again on making a fully documented list of cvars available from all the various ioUrT builds out there and their purpose and value type.
And i would be more than willing to help FrozenSand to improve the setup/options screen UI. With the purpose to expose these features to all the UrT players, not just a select group of players (who care to read and experiment).

If FrozenSand would decide to improve their setup/options screen to include features supported by the game-engine. The argument of "uneven playing field" would not even come up when it comes to topic like FOV toggle and/or other type of scripted toggles.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942