• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_funnyjumps [jumpmap/final] Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Drezil Icon

• Account: drezil

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

Well well.. it is time. ;)

I made a new jumpmap, but its still alpha. so see this as a sneak prview.
Some of you already jumped it on our server and i got a lot of positive response.

it consists of currently 19 jumps 30 40 45 jumps + 2x 5 +3 additional noob-jumps at spawn, ranging from "easy as pie" to "um .. err.. this is kinda .. hard".
(on a scale from 1-10, where 1 is uberjumps and 10 is dontgetwet (and other hard maps) i would give it a 6-7, but there are more hard jumps coming :D )

Slideshow with (also new jumps) is available here:
http://mission-unkno...ing/funnyjumps/

as said: no real finish (it says "20: speeeeed!" but there nowhere to jump), some bugs and glitches and occasionally telefrags.

maplink:
http://mission-unkno...umps_alpha4.pk3
http://mission-unkno...umps_alpha5.pk3
http://mission-unkno...umps_alpha6.pk3
http://mission-unkno...umps_alpha7.pk3
http://mission-unkno..._funnyjumps.pk3

have fun with it ;)

edit: comments are appreciated ;)

edit2: i dunno if i develop it further or let is as it is and start a new map..

edit3: final version.

#2 User is offline   apath0 (old) Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

ill check it out right now!

well, nice map. i am a little bit disappointed about the overall design. this 'one colored room, colorful lights'-scenario is a little boring i think, there are too much maps using this (noobjumps/dontfall/megajumps/...). i saw you got some skills (u used beam-shaders, crazy patchwork -> this whirly pipe is cool) so why not do a really good looking map ;) this is just my personal opinion about that, if you want to put your focus on constructing jumps, not on making em look pretty thats perfectly fine ;) i think you should at least mark walls that you cant walljump somehow... it's pretty frustrating when you fall down pretty far just because u didnt recognize that u cant jump this or that wall.

about the jumps now: i like most of them (except the slick ones, but thats also just about me ;) ). i like the variety of difficulty, the map is getting pretty hard towards the end, but i think you should tweak the jumps a little better. ~ the first half of the map i failed most of the time because i just went too far on nearly every jump ;)

please dont get me wrong, i'm just trying to be constructive - i see there's already a huge amount of work in this map and i want to encourage you to keep that up ;) i also spent some good time hopping through ;)

feel free to drop me a pm if you want, i think we share the same mother-rongue ;)

edit: omg, i'm smiling too much

#3 User is offline   Drezil Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

well, nice map. i am a little bit disappointed about the overall design. this 'one colored room, colorful lights'-scenario is a little boring i think, there are too much maps using this (noobjumps/dontfall/megajumps/...). i saw you got some skills (u used beam-shaders, crazy patchwork -> this whirly pipe is cool) so why not do a really good looking map ;) this is just my personal opinion about that, if you want to put your focus on constructing jumps, not on making em look pretty thats perfectly fine ;) i think you should at least mark walls that you cant walljump somehow... it's pretty frustrating when you fall down pretty far just because u didnt recognize that u cant jump this or that wall.

well its my first map so most stuff is just trying out things - how to make slick, how to build shaders, how to light, how to use all common/*-stuff correctly etc. pp.
about the slick walls (the one you cant bounce back from): i was thinking about it. they are just the same texture, but with surfaceparm slick on it, so i just need to adjust the shader. Maybe add some slime-effect on it or sth.

about the jumps now: i like most of them (except the slick ones, but thats also just about me ;) ). i like the variety of difficulty, the map is getting pretty hard towards the end, but i think you should tweak the jumps a little better. ~ the first half of the map i failed most of the time because i just went too far on nearly every jump ;)

well.. jumping short is a skill, too :D
if i make them harder all the noobs will complain - so they stay that way and ill add some more at the end :D

about the slick jumps: that are just fun jumps for "in between" ;) the arent that hard at all (and you use them yourself! :D jumptheshark jump 17 the orange-slices and the slide, jump 18 the spiral and jump 19 the long yard..).

please dont get me wrong, i'm just trying to be constructive - i see there's already a huge amount of work in this map and i want to encourage you to keep that up ;) i also spent some good time hopping through ;)

nono .. thats the critic i wanted. If i dont know whats wrong i cant improve it ;)

feel free to drop me a pm if you want, i think we share the same mother-rongue ;)

komm auf unseren ts-server oder unseren mumble-server. daten stehen bei uns im channel-topic (#the.saints im qnet)
da kannste mich auch direkt anlabern.

edit: omg, i'm smiling too much

umm.. no.. im a happy being, too :D

#4 User is offline   Cene (old) Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

Great map, though there's two things that I'd like to see.. "fixed".

1) Please, please don't force people to listen to one short sample throughout the whole map. About 30 minutes in I just had to turn off all sounds from UrT. When jumping, I usually prefer to listen to music of my own. :)

2) Some jumps (esp. 16) are *way* too dark. I had to do 16 with 0 gravity just because I simply couldn't see where to jump -- even with brightness turned to maximum from options. Maybe I'm going blind or my monitor sucks or something..

Otherwise, it's a very nice map with some great ideas. I liked it.

#5 User is offline   Drezil Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:05 PM

1) Please, please don't force people to listen to one short sample throughout the whole map. About 30 minutes in I just had to turn off all sounds from UrT. When jumping, I usually prefer to listen to music of my own. :)

yeah .. i thought about buttons on all jumps you hear that sound ;)
so player can toggle a music-war :DD

or ill just replace it with some no so loud and aggressive music ;)

2) Some jumps (esp. 16) are *way* too dark. I had to do 16 with 0 gravity just because I simply couldn't see where to jump -- even with brightness turned to maximum from options. Maybe I'm going blind or my monitor sucks or something..

i dont think so. 16 is lightned fine. you dont have more light on sliceyjumps (the s's) either and i like it a bit darker..
although it gets a bit brighter on the final render due to lightbounce (walls reflecting lights partially etc.)

but thats a personal thing ;)

Otherwise, it's a very nice map with some great ideas. I liked it.

thanks.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Cene (old) Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

yeah .. i thought about buttons on all jumps you hear that sound ;)
so player can toggle a music-war :DD

Personally, I'd take it off completely. Or then some quiet and relaxing ambient tone. For that matter, I could recommend an artist called Electro-Smog. It's a german ambient/electronic group and all their releases are freely and legally available on the internet. I just can't remember where.. If you can't find it, give me a nudge and I'll dig up the url for you. :P

#7 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

good job for a first beta

i wouldnt think about releasing it yet cause there are places which you can touch up

good job mate

if you need any help wih anything just gimme a yell

#8 User is offline   Drezil Icon

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Personally, I'd take it off completely. Or then some quiet and relaxing ambient tone. For that matter, I could recommend an artist called Electro-Smog. It's a german ambient/electronic group and all their releases are freely and legally available on the internet. I just can't remember where.. If you can't find it, give me a nudge and I'll dig up the url for you. :P

*doh* .. when i searched for music i didnt came up with the idiea of visiting jamendo, although i knew it..
ill give it a try

for all interested: http://www.jamendo.c...mog.jamendo.net

edit: oh i just saw the exact cc-licence: http://creativecommo...s/by-nc-nd/3.0/ ..
its non-derivative, but i'd have to change it so it loops endlessly .. and i mustnt change the format from mp3 to wav .. :/
ill have to seach for something with a share-alike-licence ..

#9 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:25 PM

I ran your map through my pk3 analyzer, comparing it against all of my other jump maps and against the UrT pk3s.  I found that there is not a single conflict in any of the resources or any of the shaders.  This is really great, thanks for that.

#10 User is offline   Drezil Icon

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

i released alpha5 today and my server is running it 24/7.
/connect jump1.pwning.de:54321

maplink: http://mission-unkno...umps_alpha5.pk3

now featuring 30 crazy jumps.
- I haven't changed jump 1-18. Modified 19 a bit (no more 3 wj :D) and added 20-30. Beware: Jump 30 is nearly impossible - if noone makes it, ill make it easier the next version.
- Jump 20 is a bit bitchy, but cool if you make it :D
- Jump 28 is a bit of "searching where to jump". You cant see the finish of it - you can just jump in it :D
- I reduced the music around jump 4 so it dont pisses you off all the time (you can just hear it from jumps 4, 5, begin of 6, 14, 15, begin of 16).

upcoming for next version:
- more crazy jumps (if you got input, pm me :D)
- more ambient sounds at the right places (no, not such annoying stuff anymore .. just a bit windblowing, firecracking and so on. ambient, not music :D)
- maybe a shortcut "im am teh 1337-jumpaaa" taking you to jump 16 (opinions about such a thing?)
- your wishes ... :D

have fun jumping. comments are welcome.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942