• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Building a new comp / need help Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_indo

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

Hooola,
I am currently trying to decide what I should get and how I should put together a homebuilt PC. I have almost no computer hardware experience, so its going to be a slow process. But I feel that building my own system is necessary if I want to be able to experience the new generation games as they should be.

I guess this is just a thread to discuss anything dealing with building PC's.

I'm looking for any links, manuals, sites, help on how to go about the process....also any personal experiences and pictures of custom built PC's

Also, any suggestions on hardware would be much appreciated (I still have no clue about the differences between the four GF 4's)

I'm looking to probably spend between 1300-1800 dollars. So please post anything that will help. Thanks!

#2 Guest_[PoD]Addicted

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Has great info on all hardware, prices, and even a buyers guide.

http://www.newegg.com

Good place to get hardware, good prices, reliable shipping and service.

I love this kinda shizzle man !

I just built mine about a month ago. I'll get you a decent pic soon.

Consider it from the ground up.

Case , the cooling for your Rig is very important and something not taken seriously enough when starting out.

POWER, very important I found this out the hard way. Get a 500 or 550 watt power supply. Steady power to your board and devices is a must.
When you get fans and stuff going it sucks up power faster than you think.

The rest is a long long story, depending on what proccessor family you want (intel or amd) and video card (ati or nvidia )

Then you can build around that.

I'll get u a pic of mah baby .. and I've seen some good rigs in the community .. and people luv this shit ...

So I know I am gonna enjoy this thread !!!!

#3 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 06 April 2004 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

Built completly off of http://www.newegg.com and http://www.zipzoomfly.com...and a little from Fry's Electronics.

Yeah, I'd pick a family of cpus...I personally like AMD. Got a XP 2500+ in mine. What price range are you looking at? You could build a pretty smokin machine for under a grand (USD). My next project is only 1300 bucks right now and thats with an AMD 64 3400+ and all the fixins.

Scroll through the categories in Newegg and check out reviews too.

#4 Guest_Taco

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

http://homepage.ntlw...build/intro.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/ Is a very good site

#5 User is offline   wastedscal (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

ROTFLMAO Taco :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   audioaxes (old) Icon

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:58 PM

6 months ago i woulda recommended the barton 2500 as a cpu to start off with

but now i think it would be worth trying to get an a64 3000 or 3200 in that price range ($210, $270 bucks)

u can get a solid socket 754 mobo for under $100 [use to onboard audio and lan]

i'd get a gig of pc3200 [ddr400] of ram 2x512MB for under $220

and 80 gig HD for $80 or a 120gig for under $100

a 9800pro for $230

an antec true power 430 or higher for around $85

cd-rw for under $40

dont know if you plan to get a new monitor but you can find some very nice ones on ebay for as low as 1/5 retail price [got a nice 21" trinitron for under $250]

a case for under $70 [those eye candy cases are NOT the way to go]
add another $100 for shipping, and other minor accessories

dont feel like doing any math since i just got out my 2hr calc course but i figure thats under $1,500; including a monitor

#7 Guest_indo

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:51 PM

cool....yeah I actually have a nice 21 inch Impression, that I will prolly stick with til it craps out on me, heh, its my pc that needs the revamp!

I will prolly stick with AMD, thats what i've used for 3 years, and I've been very happy with it.

And I also will probably go with ATI for vid card....I've been impressed with cards i've tried on other systems.

other than that....i have no idea how to determine which RAM brand/type is best, which motherboard maker is best, and coolant stuff......I have no idea bout this stuff

#8 User is offline   EnDYmiON Icon

• Account: endymion

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:50 AM

My Kingstons sticks are like 70 bucks...512MB. I lubs my Abit KD7 Mobo, their Live Update BIOS flash program is great! For me, its Abit for Mobos. If you want to drop more cash memory wise go Corsair...o0o0o0o0o, thats what is going in my next project.

#9 User is offline   audioaxes (old) Icon

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:05 AM

having several friends/roommates with PC's.... i could not "see" a difference in speed from lower end [geil] and higher quality ram [kingston hyperX, corsair XMS]

-if you aint some OC enthusiast, dont worry about top of the line ram
but also dont be too quick to grab to cheapest thing on the shelf

#10 Guest_indo

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:30 AM

hell yeah...good info....keep it comin please....i'm searchin for all this shizzy

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942