• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on? Rate Topic: ***** 3 Votes

#442 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostHappyday, on 26 May 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

Looks quite nice, I like it. It looks very flat though. I'd actually build as 3D object, apply a metal texture and render a texture from that. This way you can also render an ambient occlusion map for a little bit more detail.
Actually, thinking about it: if you just use it somewhere far away in the background you won't notice the difference. :)

Hello Happy, thank you! Yes, you're right, it does look flat, because it is, which is kinda horrible. XD Are you referring to the "use high-poly texture on low-poly model" strategy? Otherwise I didn't understand your suggestion. Thank you. :D

This post has been edited by Kolossus: 26 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

#444 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostHappyday, on 27 May 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

Nope. I mean when you render that model as a texture, you get a slightly more realistic result when you render a 3D object than a flat object. The gate in the texture will look a bit more round, if you render round bars instead of flat stripes. You use an orthogonal camera to make a full render of the gate, including an ambient occlusion pass to get a little bit of extra shadow in the more occluded areas.
But like I said, if it's for something far away, it doesn't matter, nobody will notice the difference. I'm just nit-picking. :)

Ah you're right, that's actually not a bad idea. I'll try it and post results here when I get some. :D Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated!

#445 User is offline   groebnerd Icon

• Account: groebnerd

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hey Guys!

I was a long time ago since i was active here. But now I think my Motivation to create maps is here again...

I love playing Minecraft, and I love playing Urban Terror, so I made a decision - I want to create a UrbanTerror-Minecraft-Map.
[I saw much later, that already somebody had such an Idea and posted already a video on Youtube - I hope he is not angy that I'm borrowing his idea :) ]

But making a map manually for Urban Terror which looks similar to minecraft is a huge effort. And if you'd like to create more of them, its nearly impossible.

So I wrote in Java my own Minecraft-UrbanTerror-Map-Generator.
The Generator needs first a heightMap.jpg. This is a greyscale-Image, every Pixel represents one Block. Dark areas are lower, Bright areas are higher.
The Second file (which has to be in the same size) is the textureMap.jpg. The BlockType in the generated Terrain depends on the Color of the Pixel in this image.

With this Generator I'm able to generate really flexible Terrains.
Things still toDo: Cave/Tunnel-generator, Improving TrisCount by grouping same blocks, Adding Water, and so on...
But enough said - Below are some Screenshots of the current progress.

I already wrote to Mojang for permissions, but I think it wont be a problem...

Greetings from Austria,
groebNERD aka groebsn

Screenshots:
HeightMap
TextureMap
Terrain with Grass and Flowers
Terrain with Flowers, Grass and Trees
Terrain in TrisMode - There is still a lot to improve

This post has been edited by groebnerd: 27 May 2014 - 08:19 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#446 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:26 PM

I think Bill Gates once said, "If you want a job done quickly, give it to the laziest man you have".

Besides, that tris count=unplayable. I would hate to be the guy that has to optimize this map cause i wouldn't know where to start. Also minecraft maps in UrT?
I know the game is popular, i played it didn't see anything special about it, but whatever.
I just can't see minecraft maps picking up, they've been around for a while and i never saw minecraft maps on any servers.

I used to know a guy that ran by name the similar to yours, can't remember where we met tho.

This post has been edited by rayne2: 27 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

#447 User is offline   groebnerd Icon

• Account: groebnerd

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

Hy Rayne, thanks for your reply.
Yeah, I was active for a short time on C.M.M. at the early beginning. But I did not have enough time to map / be active in a cummunity the last years.

Yeah, you are absolute right, the triscount is horrible at the moment, but the algorithm is - like the whole project - not finished yet.

By the way, this project is not a pure mapping-project, because the terrain generator is written in java code.
I wanted to start a project to improve my java-skills, and I remembered urban Terror, so I thought "Why not combining this two cool things". And because I remembered that there was a mapping community I thaught "why not showing them the project progress? It won't be perfect to play, but it will be a lot of fun to create this, and maybe they'll like the work" :)

[aaah way to much written, but a 45 minute bus ride to work is a way to long time :biggrin: ]

greetings
groebnerd aka groebsn

#448 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

I knew i know the name. Right, you were there when the old site was up, before i was kicked out.

Why don't you make a real terrain generator. Something where you can input the size of the terrain, block size, have it automatically split that block into triangle shaped brushes and manually apply phong shader in the generator itself.

Then export both the terrain in .map format and the phong shader to a specific location.

Now that would be a really useful tool.

#449 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

View PostHappyday, on 27 May 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

Nope. I mean when you render that model as a texture, you get a slightly more realistic result when you render a 3D object than a flat object. The gate in the texture will look a bit more round, if you render round bars instead of flat stripes. You use an orthogonal camera to make a full render of the gate, including an ambient occlusion pass to get a little bit of extra shadow in the more occluded areas.
But like I said, if it's for something far away, it doesn't matter, nobody will notice the difference. I'm just nit-picking. :)

Happyday, I've tried your suggestion (really quick) and this is what I get... What do you think? It's still flat and it's clear that it is indeed flat. :P (Yes the gate looks huge in the screenshots but it was just a test.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• (49 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942