Urban Terror Forums: UrT floods my .xsession-errors file with logs!!! - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

UrT floods my .xsession-errors file with logs!!! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SS (old) Icon

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi...since yesterday it seems that whenever I play UrT my .xsession-errors file gets filled with the logs from UrT. Even watching a demo(say..tutorial) everything that happens in that demo gets recorded in that file. Why is it happening and how do I stop it??

#2 User is offline   Mazter Icon

• Account: mazter

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:45 PM

Well, that's what normally happens, are you sure it wasn't happening before ? AFAIK, on that file ends up all the stdout and stderr output any of aplication that isn't run from a console. For me I have seen always the game output there when I run it from clicking on a desktop icon. But that file gets cleared up every time I log back in to my desktop so I don't worry about that. I'm on Mandriva 2009.

#3 User is offline   SS (old) Icon

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm 100% positive it didn't log anything in there...besides...like you said...that file should log only errors from non CLI apps. Nothing related to UrT should be in there(and in no case the entire log).
I'm not afraid that that file will fill my HDD if I play 24 hours non stop...I'm concerned with the impact such logging has on my system(wich IS pretty noticeable for me).

#4 User is offline   Mazter Icon

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

As I said, AFAIK, on that file gets written ALL the output of an application not run from the command line. I have always seen the log from UrT there. I don't know if this has to do with the X version or the desktop you are running, I have always used KDE and had the behaviour I'm describing. Maybe there's an option in the .desktop files that can avoid writing everything to the log and in your distro at some poing was configured like that, I'm just guessing.

#5 User is offline   r2d2 (old) Icon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

The file is only for error output (as the name suggests, d'oh) and UrT should not be writing the stdout in there. Would be really nice if this could be fixed, it's annoying as hell.
Unnecessary system slowdown and hard drive usage.

I found a fix too. The problem doesn't occur when UrT is started from the terminal. The log is then displayed in the terminal instead of being written to .xsession-errors.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Test if ioquake3 svn still does it. If so, report a bug to them

#7 User is offline   r2d2 (old) Icon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 02:49 PM

I don't really understand, can you elaborate on that?

Update ioquake3? I thought it's merged with Urban Terror. How do I update it and where to get the right version?

#8 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

on www.ioquake3.org you can find the latest released version of ioquake3, or you can check it out from their svn repository. Then you can check if it behaves the same when you use that ioq3 instead of ioUrbanterror that came with 4.1.

#9 User is offline   Mazter Icon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:34 PM

I found a fix too. The problem doesn't occur when UrT is started from the terminal. The log is then displayed in the terminal instead of being written to .xsession-errors.

And what was what I was saying??? (d'oh)

As I said, AFAIK, on that file gets written ALL the output of an application not run from the command line.

#10 User is offline   r2d2 (old) Icon

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:59 PM

on www.ioquake3.org you can find the latest released version of ioquake3, or you can check it out from their svn repository. Then you can check if it behaves the same when you use that ioq3 instead of ioUrbanterror that came with 4.1.

Ok, I'll try that.

Mazter, my posting wasn't directed at you.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942