Urban Terror Forums: Complete Linux + GtkRadiant + UrT Mapping HOW-TO - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Complete Linux + GtkRadiant + UrT Mapping HOW-TO Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   maximinus Icon

• Account: maximinus

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

How to get gtkRadiant, Urt and Linux all working happily together - the result of *many* hours of work!

This guide has been tested on Ubuntu and Linux Mint, it *should* also work for Debian. The only part that is really specific to another distro is the first bit. If you meet any errors, then let me know. Good luck!

So, you want to map on Linux, right? Well, there are a good few guides out there that tell you how to get gtkradiant set up and working, but there is more to it than that, since you must also get your UrT setup as well. This walk-through details everything you need.

ESSENTIAL: Some time, disk space of 2.6 GB and an internet connection.

The first and most important thing: DON'T USE YOUR CURRENT URT DIRECTORY!!!. Go here http://www.urbanterror.net/page.php?6 and download a fresh version of the zip installer for Linux.
(If you already have a current UrT directory that you havn't modified in any way, you *can* copy this across instead, just make sure the directory name is set to UrbanTerror).

Second, open up a text terminal. We need to install all of the various libs to compile everything. Enter this command (which may take some time to execute, depending on your system):

sudo apt-get install build-essential scons svn libxml2-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtkglext1-dev libjpeg62-dev libmhash-dev

you should be in your home directory, and here we will make a new directory where everything is stored.

cd .
mkdir utmapping
cd utmapping

Now move the UrbanTerror_41_FULL.zip to this folder. Once you've done this, we're back to the command line. First we unzip all the files:

unzip UrbanTerror_41_FULL.zip

You should now have a UrbanTerrir directory. We need to unpack some pk3 files that are in this directory, so to do that:

cd UrbanTerror/q3ut4/
unzip zpak000_assets.pk3
unzip zpak000.pk3

You won't ever be needing the maps that we have in the maps folder, in fact they just add clutter, so lets remove them now:

rm ./maps/*

Now let's go back and install GtkRadiant, firstly by grabbing the code:

cd ../..
svn checkout https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant/GtkRadiant/trunk/ ./GtkRadiant

You may well get a warning about an untrusted certificate here, so just agree and let your machine download everything. Once it's finished, keep on with the downloading and get the UrT mapping info that GtkRadiant needs

cd GtkRadiant/install/installs
svn checkout https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant.gamepacks/UrTPack/trunk/ ./UrTPack

Now we can actually build radiant:

cd ../../
scons BUILD="release"

This part may well take some time, so go get a coffee or something. The next step is testing the compile. You see, as well as radiant, you compiled the map compiler, a very important program with the name of q3map2. On my system though, this file did not work! So let's first see wether yours does. Run this command:

./install/q3map2

If the last output line is Aborted, we need to fix this issue. Quite easy to do though:

cd ..
mkdir newradiant
cd newradiant
svn co https://zerowing.idsoftware.com/svn/radiant/GtkRadiant/trunk .
scons target=q3map2 config=debug

Now test the new q3map2 and check all is ok:

./install/q3map2

You should now get an error about usage, and NOT a crash... this means we are starting to get there!! lets copy over the new file and delete the directory we just created

mv ../GtkRadiant/install/q3map2 ../GtkRadiant/install/q3map2.old
cp ./install/q3map2 ../GtkRadiant/install/
cd ..
yes | rm -R newradiant/

Now we are really close! First of all, we can actually run radiant:

./GtkRadiant/install/radiant.bin

In the box that comes up, UrbanTerror (standalone) should be the only option. Click the ... next to 'Engine Directory' and make sure you choose UrbanTerror (so selction says /home/USERNAME/utmapping/UrbanTerror), then click OK. Click OK again, and now gtkRadiant should be working. Woot!!

However, would you belive we are STILL not finished. If you try to compile a map at this point, one of the shaders will fail. So exit radiant, and enter the following (gedit used as an editor, you can change this if you like):

gedit ./UrbanTerror/q3ut4/scripts/urbanterror_ui.shader

Remove completely lines 29 through to 55, from the the /* to the */. Save and exit gedit.

Ok.. just two more things!! Make the UrT binary executable:

chmod +x ./UrbanTerror/ioUrbanTerror.i386

Now go and download this very very simple test map from http://urahost.com/d...php?file=451307. Start up radiant and load this map. Now we are going to compile it. Choose

BSP -> Q3Map2: (final) BSP -meta, -vis, -light -fast -filter -super 2 -bounce 8

You can switch back to the console to see it compile. This took about 20-30 seconds on my machine. It should say something like

Writing $SOME_LOCATION/test2.bsp
Wrote 0.1 MB (105128 bytes)
        3 seconds elapsed
Disconnecting

On the terminal. Now we are REALLY REALLY close.... Exit radiant for the last part. You need to copy the new map to the maps folder in Urt. Look at the first line in the above (where I wrote $SOME_LOCATION). q3map2 will have written the bsp file to wherever you had the original map file. Copy this to the map folder, by changing the value of $SOME_LOCATION:

cp $SOME_LOCATION/test2.bsp ./UrbanTerror/q3ut4/maps/

Now (drum roll please) test it all out:

cd UrbanTerror/
./ioUrbanTerror.i386 +set fs_game iourtmap +set sv_pure 0 +map test2

You should see a map like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

NOW YOU CAN MAP AWAY IN LINUX!!!!

#2 User is offline   maximinus Icon

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

If anyone uses this guide at all, please report back to me how it went. My next stage is to turn this into a script to make things even easier. It would help greatly if I knew of any problems that other people have - I'd like to make this as good as possible!

#3 User is offline   maximinus Icon

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:36 PM

Whilst I hate to bump my own threads, I have to say that in all my years of internet posting (about 18!) this post took the longest to write, test and research... and I don't get a single reply  :cry:

Perhaps I better go troll in the rants and raves forum, eh?  :wink:

#4 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

i have not tested it YET. but i cant cause if i dissconnect from the internet my internet might not work again hahahah (internet has been shut off by the company, but they have not been able to close the connection :D )

#5 User is offline   SS (old) Icon

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

Actually I think you'll need patience with this post...most linux mapers probably have gtkradiant setup and don't want to mess with it yet, so you'll have to wait for some newcomer into the world of radiant under linux to get a reply. A simple question thou...why didn't you use netradiant??? It's suposed to be newer and better.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   kubuist (old) Icon

• LocationUK

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Nice tutorial Maximinus & written for Linux too !!!

I have had Zeroradiant up and running on my PC, but when I upgraded I didn't put it back.

I'll try & give your tutorial a run through over the next couple of weeks and report in on my results.

Don't get disheartened, tutorials aimed at Linux users are few and far between.

This is gold dust ;)

#7 User is offline   maximinus Icon

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

A simple question thou...why didn't you use netradiant??? It's suposed to be newer and better.

I'm testing them all slowly, so netRadiant is up next. I must admit though I'm actually having fun mapping so it might take a little longer.

Thanks fior the responses guys, I wrote the last message late last night .... I was vewy dwunk  :-o

#8 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:14 AM

I read through it, this is how i got it installed. Nice guide.

Mods, please add this to the stickies or sticky this thread entirely, so it really stands out.

#9 User is offline   orbitaldecay (old) Icon

• LocationFrederick, MD, USA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

Thank you for advancing the cause, I had a very difficult time getting GtkRadiant compiled under Linux the first time around and its nice to see more people trying to put together resources on the topic.  I agree, feedback on Linux tutorials is usually slow to accumulate, I wouldn't take it personally :)  I wrote a similar tutorial a little while back, I believe you've covered everything I did and a little more.  http://forums.urbant...c,13504.0.html  Keep up the good work!

#10 User is offline   maximinus Icon

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

I wrote a similar tutorial a little while back, I believe you've covered everything I did and a little more.  http://forums.urbant...c,13504.0.html  Keep up the good work!

Yeh, I did 'steal' a little help from that, thanks.... I just wanted to finish it off! Next job is to maybe write a script to put all of this together.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942