• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I feel dirty.... Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Meat_Popsickle

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

Due to the lack of a 64 bit OS from M$ that isn't a complete joke..... here I sit on my first nix install :o Sadly it can't do everything I need so I'll be a tri booter for god knows how long :x

Man there is a lot to learn here... my head hurts just thinking about it... it's got some cool s|-|ite though.... SUSE 9.1 64bit btw.

#2 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:45 PM

I tried Linux too. Got back to winxp. I dont feel like reading 50page manuals every time I want to get my sound to work. Must everything be so hard in Linux? Djeez...

#3 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:03 PM

multimedia under linux sux. thats the truth (my truth). i was tired of trying to get dmix (alsa software mixing) to work with Q3 and TS2. conclusion: it wouldnt work. so i headed over to ebay to get a cheap emu10k1. put it in the box. loaded the module and started playing Q3 using TS2. (after unmuting the channels of course)

distributions really shouldnt work on fancy installers, but enhancing multimedia support.

#4 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 06 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

I'm gonna agree with that. I'm fine with the Gentoo "installer", so long as they keep working on the code, making that better. All these X based installers give me a head ache.

#5 Guest_Meat_Popsickle

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:53 AM

Now if I could just figure out how to install Q3, so I could then figure out how to install Urban....

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 Guest_Meat_Popsickle

Posted 07 July 2004 - 11:00 AM

The learning curve is why I've never done it before now. I also have an All In Wonder card, guess what? There is nothing mainstream for the tuner (or anything other than the 3d engine) and what you can get http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ is so/so....

Lets just say that I'm extremely irritated with M$ right now... hell I can't even get to the net on their crapware beta 64bit! :evil: I can understand them not having gigbit lan drivers for my onboard NIC, but my GAWD there aren't even drivers for a 3com 10/100 NIC!! :roll:

#7 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:30 PM

to install quake3 just download the PR1.32 from ftp.idsoftware.com and install it.
then copy the pak0.pk3 from your quake3 cd over to baseq3. that is basically it, except you need to enable punkbuster, bla bla bla

#8 Guest_Meat_Popsickle

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:46 AM

You make that sound so easy :lol:

#9 Guest_Meat_Popsickle

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:19 AM

This is what I got when I ran linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

Verifying archive integrity... All Good.
Uncompressing Quake III Arena Point Release 1.32b..........................................
.........................................................................................
You need to run this installation as the super user.
Please enter the root password.
You can also su root yourself and execute the installation again
Password:
This installation doesn't support glibc-2.1 on Linux / x86_64
(tried to run setup)
Please contact Id software technical support at bugs@idsoftware.com, or ttimo@idsoftware.com
The setup program seems to have failed on x86_64/glibc-2.1

Please contact Id software technical support at bugs@idsoftware.com, or ttimo@idsoftware.com
Press Return to lick me...
[]

:( d0h

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

hehe

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942