• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I feel dirty.... Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   CorlacolII (old) Icon

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:31 PM

After using *nix for over 4 years I find that everything makes sense and it's easy to maintain and install.

Nowadays I have a hard time installing and using windows.

#12 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

Could you come over to my house please then? To install Linux there? Ty.

#13 User is offline   CorlacolII (old) Icon

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:38 AM

You can do it yourself.

Go to the mandrake.org website and download the first iso, burn it, boot with the cd and follow the instructions. :)

#14 User is offline   Aarsbuds0r (old) Icon

• LocationNetherlands, The

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:29 AM

I already had some distro's installed (Debian/Suse) but I just couldnt work with it... Everything is hard to do in Linux (at least for someone who has used windows all his life). I couldnt even get sound-recording to work =]

#15 User is offline   StonedLemming (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:25 PM

I have only recently started using linux.

And with the help of HoboHumpinSlut and alot of googling,i am now sitting behind a fully functional Debian linux.

Quake3,NWN,irc,msn,sound,music downloading stuff,it all works!

I dont think i am ever going back.

I started out with knoppix though,which is a live-cd which basicly gives you a linux OS running in memory,its made for system recovery,but it can also be put on your HD,once installed its basicly debian,and alot of hardware is autodetected(sound for example).
Starting out with knoppix gave me alot more knowledge about the basics,and thus helped me alot with setting up Debian.

And ofcourse its real handy to screw around with before actually changing anything on your HD

http://www.knopper.n...x/index-en.html Oooooh,button :!:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:28 PM

I already had some distro's installed (Debian/Suse) but I just couldnt work with it... Everything is hard to do in Linux (at least for someone who has used windows all his life). I couldnt even get sound-recording to work =]

What versions of those distro's did you use? I recently started using Suse Linux 9.1. The installation was very easy. However, you are right that Linux is sometimes quite complicated. I had to use a special hack (posted on this forum) to get my Logitech Dual Optical working on 800 dpi, and read a howto to get my fourth mouse button working. I also had some other problems, but those were specific to the Suse distribution. The only reason I still have a multiboot with Windows XP (one of the things I really like about a Suse, after the install it automatically configured a boot menu which lets me choose to start Windows XP or Linux after I turned on the PC) is because of the Windows games.

I can understand that you don't like it. My advice to you is that you look at the newbie Linux distributions like Mandrake, Suse, Fedora or Linspire after one year or so. By then they would probably be quite improved, and even more newbie friendly.

#17 User is offline   gk245 (old) Icon

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:26 AM

Debian is getting easier to install, at least:

http://applications....04/08/09/164207

And yes, the learning curve is quite high. I suggest using knoppix as a warmer, then going from there.

#18 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

SuSE is pretty easy yes, I still prefer gentoo due to its source-code based distribution which allows for total customization all over the place.

Solved that dual oss problem (q3 + ts2) by using my on-board soundcard for the TS2 with an earpiece/mic headset and urt just comes through my speakers, works really well that way.

Sure hope doom 3 will use alsa on linux :)

#19 Guest_Trizt

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:51 PM

Does every MSW user start with LFS (linux from scratch) or Gentoo as their first "distro"?

I used to use RedHat (it's called Fedora nowdays) for a quite long time as my first linux distro and everything did work always directly from the box, just a 20 mins installation (compare with the MSW which min takes 30 min).

For me, the three months I was a MSW user, I had a hell, with all the reinstalls and blue screens... but now I'm quite happy with my linux boxes, except that there aren't any powerpc based quake3 server (at least as I have seen)... the only bad thing with linux is that is all to much bound to x86.

#20 Guest_Da3dalus

Posted 16 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Does every MSW user start with LFS (linux from scratch) or Gentoo as their first "distro"?

From what I've seen, most tend to go for the "easy distros" like Mandrake and Red Hat the first time. I've never seen anyone choose LFS as their first distro.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942