• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

I feel dirty.... Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   forever (old) Icon

Posted 24 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

[quote name='"L3mMinG"]Although my knowledge on linux is fairly good (see all my posts here)' date=' I got sick of updating even gentoo since something would go wrong on big updates quite often (some setting got overridden, some compile would fail due to error in ebuild, some ebuild makes a wrong assumption on your setup etc.). [/quote']

Gentoo do not overwrite any of the config files :) It's always Your decision - sometimes wrong when You are too lazy :D

[quote="L3mMinG"]
Guess there just isn't a perfect OS out there...
[/quote]

So true...

However there is one which is on longest way to perfection :D Guess which one :)

#42 User is offline   L3mMinG (old) Icon

Posted 24 January 2005 - 10:43 PM

So true...

However there is one which is on longest way to perfection :D Guess which one :)

Checking what forum this discussion is on I say: LINUX of course :P

Well I imagine linux will go a long way, but to me at the moment the mac os X series (based on freeBSD) get my vote. Why ? Well:
Anyone from pure n00b to hardcore pro can do his or her thing with this at great ease with a very nice interface, from managing holiday pictures to building a database server with distributed openGL rendering :)

Package management: installing apps on osx is just super easy cause they put the whole app directory behind 1 single icon (it's a directory really). I've seen the installer use pre-binding (prelink anyone).

The BSD license has a much better chance of surviving cause it's more free then GPL. So my final vote would be one of the BSD's will make it in the end or apple could release os x (or some future variation) on PC.
I don't think I really care which os would prevail as long as I'm happy with it. Was happy with gentoo, but it's not only the config but constant little quirks because of the uncentralised nature of portage. Moved to freebsd a little while and was happy but sound support wasn't that good. Then I decided a unix that would also let me run commercial apps would be ideal and I got a mac.

#43 User is offline   forever (old) Icon

Posted 25 January 2005 - 08:56 AM

that's a nice point of view... really - however there is one more argument for me to vote for Linux - it's for free (as a free beer) and the community is so big... The developpement is so fast... :D

I found myself in the situation where one piece of hardware was already supported in linux by some group of mianiac - developpers, but the port to BSD familly wasn't functional yet...

So my conclusion (for myself) will be: I stay on gentoo as Linux for now - until something change my point of view... However I don't expect I'll change the os for any M$...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942