• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ut4_Happyjumptutorial [Beta] Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#61 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:07 PM

I like this map a lot, but unfortunately I have to remove it from the wTf Non-Icy Jump Zone.  It's because of the "bad command byte" error.  A way to fix this error was to set sv_pure to 0, but let me explain why this is a bad idea.

When you set sv_pure to 0, your client picks up ALL pk3s in your client, not only the ones on the server.  So for example let's say you have a beta of a map, ut4_world_beta1 on your client.  Let's say ut4_world was released, and it has added textures in a shader file.  Regardless of whether the beta1 map is on a server or not, when you play ut4_world on this server, you will get missing textures because the shader from ut4_world_beta1 will override the one from ut4_world (because of alphabetical order of pk3 file names), and the shader in beta1 does not have all the shaders defined that are used in the final.

With sv_pure set to 1, only resources from maps that are installed on the server are picked up in the client, preventing such missing texture issues.

Setting sv_pure to 0 on a per-map basis as was suggested is also not a good idea if vote-calling maps is enabled.  When you call a vote for a map and it passes, the per-map settings in your mapcycle are ignored.

So. mega-sadface.  :-(

#62 User is offline   madpew (old) Icon

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Just an idea (I'm still at work and can't test this here)

instead of putting it into the mapcycle create a config "happyjumps.cfg" containing:

sv_pure 0
map ut4_happyjumptutorial_beta2
wait 100 //Is this line needed?
sv_pure 1

users can then callvote exec happyjumps to start the map.
I don't know if this would work as I don't know what happens when sv_pure is changed while loading a map / while ingame. (is it even possible?)
But I guess it's worth a try.

-madpew

#63 User is offline   Mickael9 Icon

• Account: mickael9

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

Just an idea (I'm still at work and can't test this here)

instead of putting it into the mapcycle create a config "happyjumps.cfg" containing:

sv_pure 0
map ut4_happyjumptutorial_beta2
wait 100 //Is this line needed?
sv_pure 1

users can then callvote exec happyjumps to start the map.
I don't know if this would work as I don't know what happens when sv_pure is changed while loading a map / while ingame. (is it even possible?)
But I guess it's worth a try.

-madpew

I think it says "sv_pure will be changed upon restarting" and that's what a map cycle does

#64 User is offline   V00d00 Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: v00d00
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:49 PM

I like this map a lot, but unfortunately I have to remove it from the wTf Non-Icy Jump Zone.  It's because of the "bad command byte" error.  A way to fix this error was to set sv_pure to 0, but let me explain why this is a bad idea.

When you set sv_pure to 0, your client picks up ALL pk3s in your client, not only the ones on the server.  So for example let's say you have a beta of a map, ut4_world_beta1 on your client.  Let's say ut4_world was released, and it has added textures in a shader file.  Regardless of whether the beta1 map is on a server or not, when you play ut4_world on this server, you will get missing textures because the shader from ut4_world_beta1 will override the one from ut4_world (because of alphabetical order of pk3 file names), and the shader in beta1 does not have all the shaders defined that are used in the final.

With sv_pure set to 1, only resources from maps that are installed on the server are picked up in the client, preventing such missing texture issues.

Setting sv_pure to 0 on a per-map basis as was suggested is also not a good idea if vote-calling maps is enabled.  When you call a vote for a map and it passes, the per-map settings in your mapcycle are ignored.

So. mega-sadface.  :-(

But since you dont any other betas, how does that affect others?

For the most part this can be avoided by using certain mapping techniques, ie, if you release a map with shader x and need to add more shader functions, you must make a new shader file called shader y to create the new changes in.

I understand for the callvote settings though.  I dont allow map vote on mine, so i'll keep running it.  Also i know only about 8 people beta-tested the map before it went to final, so as long as they dont have the old betas there shouldnt be an issue with the shader problem (assuming i get the gist of what you said).

So are you saying, you cant run it because he may change the shader in between betas?  If so drop him an email/pm mentioning how with every release you should make a new shader for any new additions.  I already do this with all my maps, but i dont think a whole load of others do.

#65 User is offline   Haydugjr Icon

• Account: haydugjr

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

I can't get the second ladders! With the backwards wall jump! I always miss them :laugh:
Sorry, Caps-Lock broke there for a minute.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#67 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

Is the "Bad command byte" issue fixed in beta 3?

#69 User is offline   DuTchEr95 Icon

• Account: dutcher95

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

wow cool gonna play it some time!

btw did you do something about the doors?
always when I open a door it make me lagg or fps to 10

are the secrets something in the jumps or something out of the jumps?

This post has been edited by DuTchEr95: 27 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

#70 User is offline   Th3.Sultan Icon

• Account: th3sultan

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

ohh look what I found :]]
Posted Image
(It's a SPAZ)

Don't Worry
Posted Image

Posted Image
(NEGEV)

Posted Image
Lava

Posted Image
Water

Posted Image
SMILE!

This post has been edited by Th3_Sultan: 27 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942