• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

HDR in 4.2 Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

HDR makes games seem prettier, but i'm pretty confident that most competitive players will end up turning that off for better visibility. Or just for performance issues for the rest of us.

#12 User is offline   kidx Icon

• Account: kidx

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Why not add SSAO and stuff and anisotropic filtering and more what we wanna do is have the game looking smooth less jagged edges I would say like Classic Nexuiz but thats too much stuff.Just make the game have high res textures 2048x2048 and make it so its more clear and less crappy looking the idea is to go from 1999 looks to present day looks using the Quake 3 Engine am i not correct if COD can do so you can also maybe having ENB series compatible with this if possible if you have ENB series then we can tweak the config our selves but we all want a crisp clean looking game that dont look like somthing old that why this is dying slow but if you do this it might bring it back on top if not I might try a 2048x2048 texture pack High Res for urban Terror.

#13 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Please learn about these things you're talking about before pointlessly requesting all of them in one sentence.
Both SSAO and anisotropic filtering do not smooth any edges at all. That is called antialiasing, which you can force using your video card drivers anyway (same goes for anisotropic filtering).

2048² px textures are bullshit in a game.

#14 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostRylius, on 16 June 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

2048² px textures are bullshit in a game.

Why is that? If you have terrain and want it to look good you want higher resolution of textures. Ideally for terrain you'd use a megatexture of 8k and cover a large surface with it and avoid patterning.
And it definitely isn't that big of a performance issue cause there are games for consoles that use 4k textures and to be honest those games look a lot better than UrT while being ran on machines 10 times slower than an average PC that costs less than the console.
Rage uses 8k megatextures and after few patches the game runs fine. The problem isn't the size of a texture, it's how the engine handles them.
When i play bad company 2 i get better FPS with higher resolution and textures set to high. Post processing kills performance, not geometry and textures.

This post has been edited by Rayne: 16 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

#15 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:18 PM

Megatextures are a different story - ATI cards can rarely handle textures over 2048², Nvidia is mostly maxed at 4096².

Performance isn't a problem either, it just fills the video memory incredibly fast (not getting started on file size even). There are very few points where you actually benefit from jumping from 1024² to 2048².

Terrain MIGHT be suitable for such big textures, but tbh you're better off with perfect tiling smaller textures and lots of decals (that's what Rage does as well).

I was mostly referring to your average wall texture, which really does not have ANY need to be that high-res.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Well....it all kinda depends. Decals are good, yes i agree i use them a lot but our blending of decals kinda sucks. Skyrim showed than you don;t need megatextures to get a game look good. They repeated one and the same texture hundreds of times and still nobody complained that much.

But when you have a 3d model of a house and want to stick all the textures onto just one sheet even 2048 can be small cause of large surfaces.
And ATI sucks with driver support, why they can't handle larger textures well.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942