Urban Terror Forums: Black lines in lagometer - problems strafing - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Black lines in lagometer - problems strafing Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

I played UrT years ago and have just decided to give it another go, but I'm having a problem that I can't quite seem to crack.

I can't move properly, as in movement is "sticky", especially when strafing side to side. My lagometer shows lots of black lines in the lower green bar, which according to this article :-

http://www.www0.org/...to_Urban_Terror

is due to antilag kicking in. However, apart from being a wall of text that I only vaguely understand doesn't seem to offer any real solutions, or at least none that work for me.

I've tried pretty much all combinations of rate / maxpackets / packetdup / ut_timenudge etc. I can think of, and I've tried alternative builds such as this :-

http://www0.org/urt/ioquake3-urt.zip

and this :-

http://forums.urbant...n-urt-directly/

Nothing seems to help.

I have a good PC (AMD Phenom II Triple Core + 4Gb DDR3 RAM + HD4890 graphics) and a cable 'net connection (20Mb down, 768k up).

I never had this problem when I played before, and back then I had a way worse PC and a much slower connection.

Any suggestions on how I get rid of the black lines in my lagometer?

(note: the game runs smooth as silk on a local server, so I'm pretty sure it's a network related problem)

This post has been edited by Kendle: 25 November 2009 - 08:50 PM

#2 User is offline   Nigel Icon

• Account: nigel

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

View PostKendle, on 25 November 2009 - 08:44 PM, said:

I played UrT years ago and have just decided to give it another go, but I'm having a problem that I can't quite seem to crack.

I can't move properly, as in movement is "sticky", especially when strafing side to side. My lagometer shows lots of black lines in the lower green bar, which according to this article :-

http://www.www0.org/...to_Urban_Terror

is due to antilag kicking in. However, apart from being a wall of text that I only vaguely understand doesn't seem to offer any real solutions, or at least none that work for me.

I've tried pretty much all combinations of rate / maxpackets / packetdup / ut_timenudge etc. I can think of, and I've tried alternative builds such as this :-

http://www0.org/urt/ioquake3-urt.zip

and this :-

http://forums.urbant...n-urt-directly/

Nothing seems to help.

I have a good PC (AMD Phenom II Triple Core + 4Gb DDR3 RAM + HD4890 graphics) and a cable 'net connection (20Mb down, 768k up).

I never had this problem when I played before, and back then I had a way worse PC and a much slower connection.

Any suggestions on how I get rid of the black lines in my lagometer?

(note: the game runs smooth as silk on a local server, so I'm pretty sure it's a network related problem)

1) Defrag your hard drive.

2) Do you have UrT installed on the same harddisk or partition as your OS? I recommend using a separate one.

3) What other programs do you have running? Check your taskmanager to see whats using page file and cpu. Close out what you dont need.

4) Are you on wireless? if so, there could be some issues there.

5) do you use CCC as your graphics management utility? make sure you didnt modify advance filtering or 3d rendering settings.

6) go to system information. check your device IRQ numbers. do any graphics adapters share the same irq as network devices?

--I've included solutions that help the most common problems and causes for black lines. If nothing above helps, then there are other steps that can be taken.

This post has been edited by Nigel!: 25 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

#3 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:30 PM

1) It's a reasonably new PC build, hard drive is pretty clean and doesn't need defragging at the mo'.
2) Yes, but I'm not going to make a new partition just to play a game.
3) Tons of memory / page file and CPU available, system is reasonably well tweaked already.
4) No.
5) Yes, everything is currently default.
6) Device manager says I have a PCIe network card on IRQ18, and my HD4890 is also listed as using IRQ18, but neither claim to conflict with the other and I play many other games with no issues (most recently I've been playing DOD:S on Valve's Source engine). I will however try re-assigning one of them to a different IRQ and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:27 PM

does that occur on all servers? it may be only a particular connection to one. Is the connection in general fine? i.e. will it play ok other games? does it ping other servers ok etc.

btw, that guide may seem vague at that point but there's really nothing more to say at that point; if a server reported 'hey, you were warping' it doesn't say much more than 'i didn't receive enough updates from you'; there's isn't a distinct solution neither a distinct set of solutions; it's a very general issue that could take ages to cover since it's the very general category of networking stability.

#5 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

It varies with server, ranging from "annoying" to "unplayable", but it's only UrT that's giving me problems. I play DOD:S (Source engine), RTCW / ET (modified Q3 engine) and ET:QW / Wolfenstein (idTech4 engine) and they all work fine, no network issues at all.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

hm. have you tried with the config files removed (i.e. in a new installation)?

#7 User is offline   NulL Icon

•   former FS member   
    Level Designer
  • Account: null

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

View PostKendle, on 25 November 2009 - 10:38 PM, said:

It varies with server, ranging from "annoying" to "unplayable", but it's only UrT that's giving me problems. I play DOD:S (Source engine), RTCW / ET (modified Q3 engine) and ET:QW / Wolfenstein (idTech4 engine) and they all work fine, no network issues at all.

Not all games use the same network code.

Black lines are caused when information from you doesn't reach the server in time, most commonly because your upload stream is being saturated by things like uploading torrents or other file sharing software.

Make sure your not running any other software that is uploading or downloading anything, nor do you have any other computers using the internet connection.

#8 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:31 PM

I'm not uploading (or downloading) anything, and at the moment no-one else in the house is using the 'net. Adjusting rate / maxpackets / packetdup etc. does help, a bit, but again only to the extent that on some servers the problem is merely annoying.

I played UrT a few years ago on a 1Mb connection (with 128k upload), and it was fine. I now have 20Mb down / 768k up and it's giving me grief. I have however just run a speed test and although I'm getting 18Mb down I'm only currently getting 296k up, so there might be an issue with my ISP. However that's still double what I had when I last played UrT, and I'd have thought plenty enough now.

I'll continue monitoring my connection, it might just be bad at the moment. Bummer really as I'm bored with DOD:S and there are no decent fast paced, skill based, shooters around these days, game play has been sacrificed for pretty graphics and realism it seems.

#9 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 26 November 2009 - 12:21 AM

The capacity requirements are very short; You basically don't need more than 10KB up / 10KB down (kilobytes/s) virtually at all times. But you do need ping stability and reliability of throughput of course.

If your upload does show issues it's a very possible cause since warping (being reported by the server) specifically refers to you not sending him stuff right.

I'd check other servers, it might be limited to a certain demographic of them.

#10 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:30 AM

*@!# I feel your pain. I know exactly what you mean by getting stuck strafing.

Can you get an admin to increase g_antiwarptol to say 200? See what your netgraph looks like then. You should be seeing a lot of spikes.

Do this...

Run (or the search box on Vista start menu) -> cmd
type in
tracert 91.121.84.189

Paste the results here (right click the cmd window, select all, hit Enter; it's copied now). I assume you're from Europe as you have a .co.uk website in your profile. If you're from NA, use a North American server.

This way we can see which server between you and the game server is lagging. If it's your ISP, there's some stuff you can try before calling them and telling them to fix their shit (which they won't do, but w/e).
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942