Urban Terror Forums: Black lines in lagometer - problems strafing - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Black lines in lagometer - problems strafing Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, even if I did start it, but I found the cure to my problem, r_finish 0. No idea why but I had r_finish 1 in my config, changed it to 0 and the jittery movement has almost disappeared, despite still getting some packet loss.

#22 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

View PostKendle, on 15 January 2010 - 09:52 AM, said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, even if I did start it, but I found the cure to my problem, r_finish 0. No idea why but I had r_finish 1 in my config, changed it to 0 and the jittery movement has almost disappeared, despite still getting some packet loss.

Welcome back Kendle ;-)

Drop by more often in #Intribe Posted Image

#23 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

Since it's allready bumped I'll use it to post my current problem instead of making a new thread. Up untill 4 days ago UrT was working perfect for me. But for the last 4 days I've been getting gaps in the green line. I did the search through the forum and nothing i found seems to help. Mitsubishis .exe aint helping, reinstalling everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) didn't help. No matter how high or low my setting are i keep getting the gaps. My config is, Intel 2.5 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, radeon 9600 XT 128 mb, win xp.

#24 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

as I have discovered, gaps on green are freezes of the whole rendering process of the engine, it just 'doesn't work at that time'; it can be reproduced with hitting /screenshot repeatedly (since it had to use the resources + write to disk, it may freeze occasionally for a while).

there are ways to reproduce it differently; since you used my .exe you eliminated the funstuff and radio audio + plus some other audio doing it so it can be something else.

since directly writing or reading to disk - from the engine - seems to be a common reason see if it's related to that; e.g. hitting /screenshot accidentally via a bind may do it.

I suspect buggy drivers or other software related to be affecting it; figuring out WHEN it happens is a key. e.g. I had for a long time gaps that took me a while to figure out it was audio and funstuff affecting it.

oh, /fs_debug 1 shows all writes and reads to disk by the engine; it may be a big hint if a gap happened at that time.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 16 January 2010 - 10:51 PM

#25 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Do you think it could be related to my HDD? If the engine is on an older and slower HDD can that cause it? Can a new external HDD fix this issue?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

The engine itself normally doesn't use the disk at all during gameplay, especially if using my .exe, so it shouldn't be that.

But it could be that if it does use the disk during gameplay, since a newer disk may have faster access.

but again, the engine shouldn't read/write to disk at all during gameplay.

#27 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

I think getting a new graphics card would be the best thing to do.

#28 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

It probably can be anything that engine can do and 'stop for a while to finish it'. The engine doesn't work in parallel almost at all, hence if anything it does will make it stop to finish it, it may produce such gaps.

hm, anything you have 'a lot'? e.g. a lot of maps, a lot of demos, something like that, that could somehow make it take a burden; though still it shouldn't happen during gameplay normally.

#29 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:38 AM

I amde a fresh installation of UrT on my external HDD and it's the same, so too much demos or maps is out. This thing is pissing me off cause it started all of a sudden, one day normal and the other...unplayable.

#30 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:50 AM

run with fs_debug 1 and see if it read/writes the disk when it happens.

how often does it happen? does it freeze the FPS at the time?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942