Urban Terror Forums: [Bug] Weapon Modes Change Out Of The Blue - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Bug] Weapon Modes Change Out Of The Blue Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

It's an old well known bug where weapons change without warning.

However the main reason I'm posting this is to ask what is the reason this happens in case it can be helped by community collaboration, perhaps a client update.

I recall Bladekiller had an idea about it but I can't find the message about it since the wording may have been obscure at that time.

EDIT: Reason and potential solution (needing UrT implementation) has been sourced,

<Timbo> if they're relying on the event system to pass information reliably, that is the problem
<Timbo> as the event system is not supposed to be reliable
<fs-a> can it become reliable, and if not, what should they do?
<Timbo> no, that's not what it's for
<Timbo> use client commands instead

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 03 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

#2 User is offline   Shinigami Icon

• Account: shinigami

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

I have not had this happen to me in years. It has not happened since I went through my key binds and made sure that it was not bound to a button other then the one I had chosen. Originally, It was bound to more then one key.

View Postmitsubishi, on 14 January 2010 - 01:06 PM, said:

It's an old well known bug where weapons change without warning.

However the main reason I'm posting this is to ask what is the reason this happens in case it can be helped by community collaboration, perhaps a client update.

I recall Bladekiller had an idea about it but I can't find the message about it since the wording may have been obscure at that time.

Soon I will sign your name in my book.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

hunting quotes from the past on it,

View PostBladeKiller, on 07 January 2008 - 03:04 PM, said:

I can see removing burst if it's an easy task. It was discussed and decided not to do it long ago due to the work involved. It might be easier to fix io than to remove the modes from urt.

View PostTr!8E�, on 07 January 2008 - 12:58 PM, said:

Solution 1: fix the bug. Problem: BK said it's a Q3 bug that it can't be fixed.
Solution 2: add a cvar (g_defaultFireMode null/auto/burst/semi or sth) that every time weapon mode changes checks it and sets the original firemode cvar to that value.

ah, this is interesting,

View PostDJ Schuby, on 02 January 2008 - 05:20 AM, said:

Say you are using the g36 and you press n to set it to automatic fire. After a few rounds you decide to switch to another gun. While you are using this new gun, you die and you spec someone on your team who is using the g36. He has his g36 set to semi auto. You see that he's kicking some ass with it so you decide to switch back to your g36. You switch back and instead of being on fully auto like you like it to be, it's on semi auto because you speced someone who was using it on semi auto.

this should be the reason, I see it in TS mainly.

View PostBladeKiller, on 02 January 2008 - 03:19 PM, said:

The weapon mode bug is a Q3 engine bug.

now, trying to figure out the exact q3 code affecting it.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 14 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

#4 User is offline   Durandal Icon

• Account: durandal
  • Main tag: [DSG]

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

F1 on spec. I have never had a weapon mode spontaneously change... but what happens is that it takes on the mode of who you are spec'ing. The one that gets Me all the time is if someone is using throwing knives (I almost never do this)... I don't think to check knives... and when I get into a tight spot I switch to knife and there it is in the wrong mode... with the ridiculously long mode change time on the knife... I die heh.

I wouldn't have the first inkling about the code side... but from what I've seen, that is the cause.
"On a long enough time line, everyone's survival rate drops to zero..." --Tyler Durden

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:24 PM

Interesting info,

Bladekiller reports it's related to event bucket being too small with only 2 bits hence it sometimes loses the information.

Timbo from ioq3 reports,

<Timbo> events are not intended to be a reliable transport

oh,

<Timbo> if they're relying on the event system to pass information reliably, that is the problem

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 15 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

I have it happen when alt tabbing, actually. I don't even have a weapon mode key.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#7 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

Bumping this to get more attention; also can someone make sure the dev team looks into this? :

View Postmitsubishi, on 15 January 2010 - 04:24 PM, said:

#8 User is offline   opium Icon

• Account: opium

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

this is the most annoying bug in UrT, its caused me to die countless times
i get it from spec, randomly (as far as i know), and sometimes when i alt+tab

#9 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:50 AM

I don't play TS. Mainly CTF. But i had seen this bug appear (very rarely tho) when picking up another weapon that is normally supposed to be in auto mode suddenly being burst or semi.

#10 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

I think it happens when you dead-spec someone who is using another mode.

Also, I always assumed that when you pick up an enemy's gun, if they were playing in another mode then it's a feature that when you pick it up you're stuck in that mode.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942