• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion for Mappers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

When the switch is made to Enemy Territory, please name your map files in the following format.

etut_mapname

This will help prevent confusion for players, admins, and map depot hosters.

Using the current format of ut_mapname will cause confusion as to whether the map goes with q3ut or etut.

Just my $0.02

#2 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:02 PM

SID will actually be the ones detirming the naming convention for levels in the mod.

#3 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:11 PM

SID will actually be the ones detirming the naming convention for levels in the mod.

Well for official levels anyway. If SID sticks with the ut_mapname format forr 3rd party maps it might be better to do it this way to avoid confusion.

Think of it this way.

New gamer to Urban Terror comes in, downloads third party maps and cant get any of them to work with ETUT, thinks the mod sucks because no maps work with it other than official maps and leaves.

#4 User is offline   |NV|S (old) Icon

• LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:36 AM

Well for official levels anyway. If SID sticks with the ut_mapname format forr 3rd party maps it might be better to do it this way to avoid confusion.

Think of it this way.

New gamer to Urban Terror comes in, downloads third party maps and cant get any of them to work with ETUT, thinks the mod sucks because no maps work with it other than official maps and leaves.

Im pretty sure this has been taking into account.

#5 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:44 AM

Im pretty sure this has been taking into account.

NP :D
Just thought I'd toss it out. Since the MOD will be ETUT I thought it would make sense to use the same convention for maps.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   tub (old) Icon

• Locationut_abbey

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:12 PM

It's a good idea.

A prefix hasn't been decided upon as far as I know yet but I'll keep it in mind. Really I'd prefer a two character prefix but we havn't got much to work with in that regard.

#7 Guest_Map4Fun

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:05 PM

Wouldnt there be some sort of posibility to make the pk3 files usable for both games. (remembering you include a bsp for et and a bsp for q3)
So you could name the q3 bsp ut_[yoursexymap].bsp and the other one et_[yoursexymap].
Maybe this could be done with the nifty scripting that ET has. Or even sort it out in the .arena file if posible.

This would keep the filenames uniform. My guess is that when ETUT is released the new maps won't be made for q3ut as much as before.

So you could be pretty sure that the 'old' maps wont work on ETUT unless the mapper releases a note stating that he ported the map over to ETUT.

I dont see the use for 4 prefixes, plz keep the filenames like they are now. The game = UrbanTerror no matter what platform it runs on.
Now its Q3 but the filenames arent UTQ3_ so why change it to ETUT just coz the platform changed.

#8 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:28 PM

The game = UrbanTerror no matter what platform it runs on.
Now its Q3 but the filenames arent UTQ3_ so why change it to ETUT just coz the platform changed.

so why call em et_something then?

besides that, the maps wouldnt show difference to et/etpro maps, although game modes etc are different.

#9 Guest_Map4Fun

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

The game = UrbanTerror no matter what platform it runs on.

so why call em et_something then?

besides that, the maps wouldnt show difference to et/etpro maps, although game modes etc are different.

I refered to the internal bsp name as being et or ut to make a difference when using scripts.
The external name still stayes ut_[yoursexymap].pk3

If you read my post again, you would clearly see that i'm against the nameing of maps et_ or etut or any equivalent of that.

Again _old_ maps only work for _old_ ut version unless the creator of that map states different.

And yes on the various mapping sites there should be a different section for ut for q3 and ut for et maps.
Mappers are responsible for making sure the players know if the map is for UTET or _old_ UT.

M4F

#10 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:31 PM

i was more referring to bsp name collisions with et/etpro maps ;)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942