Urban Terror Forums: Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Some things to say.....about SID, UrT etc.

#61 User is offline   gHOstFaCe (old) Icon

• LocationMiami, FL US

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:37 PM

[quote name='"F for Fragging"] it takes too much time before you die (in 1.27 you had a reasonable chance if you had to fight two opponents at the same time' date=' in 3.x it's a lot more difficult).[/quote']

I disagree, it takes the same amount of time for the enemy to kill you. Sometime when you ambush 3 players medicing each other, you can kill them all, and sometimes they will kill you.

In Turnpike, I ran into the cargo garage to get the blue flag back. 3 reds were in there waiting for an attack, as usual. One was medicing the flag carrier. I charged in with my knife and killed all 3 to return our flag and lived to kill the guy who respawned and came after me for revenge (with the knife again, lol).

Just try to remember the times that someone was bustin caps in your azz, and you turn and killed them. You felt like a champ, right? Well, that goes both ways.

Moral of the story:
The game is balanced and TeH Kn1F3 iz uB3R 1337.
Unless you're using a knife..erm..luck.

#62 User is offline   F for Fragging (old) Icon

• LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:15 PM

[quote name='"illogical"]Since when does being shot in the head not kill you? Besides' date=' a headshot from the MP5K will not kill you if you have reasonable health.[/quote']

I don't care if it should kill you or not, I'm just saying that the game would be more fun if headshots wouldn't be as lethal as they are now, now people just shoot around a bit and get seemingly lucky headshots. And yes, I know that the MP5k requires two headshots.

[quote name='"woekele"]I was serious. I think TrueCombar is a bit too far to the other end though. We should be kind of in the middle. Or prolly a bit more to the urt-side. Problem is when changing this' date=' the entire weapon-balance is f00ked and all hard work on that has to be redone.[/quote']

I agree with you.

[quote="DoctorDominology"][quote="F for Fragging"]And last but not least the waverespawn-on-TDM problem which SID refuses to fix.[/quote]

You mean the waverespawn-on-TDM which server admins don't change.[/quote]

[quote="Oswald"]wave respawn is not broken...we cant force lazy admins[/quote]

Whether it's SID's problem or the admin's problem, the result will be the same, players having less fun in the TDM mode that is.

[quote name='"gHOstFaCe"][quote="F for Fragging"] it takes too much time before you die (in 1.27 you had a reasonable chance if you had to fight two opponents at the same time' date=' in 3.x it's a lot more difficult).[/quote']

I disagree, it takes the same amount of time for the enemy to kill you. Sometime when you ambush 3 players medicing each other, you can kill them all, and sometimes they will kill you.

In Turnpike, I ran into the cargo garage to get the blue flag back. 3 reds were in there waiting for an attack, as usual. One was medicing the flag carrier. I charged in with my knife and killed all 3 to return our flag and lived to kill the guy who respawned and came after me for revenge (with the knife again, lol).

Just try to remember the times that someone was bustin caps in your azz, and you turn and killed them. You felt like a champ, right? Well, that goes both ways.

Moral of the story:
The game is balanced and TeH Kn1F3 iz uB3R 1337.
[size=9px]Unless you're using a knife..erm..luck.[/size][/quote]

Of course it takes the same amount of time for an enemy to kill you, if not this game wouldn't be fair, would it? I meant the difficulty of killing a UrT player in the game. BTW, not everyone is medicing all the time. If those three people are attacking you frontally you practically don't stand a change.

In my opinion, the it's-to-hard-to-kill problem in UrT has three causes:

1. Too much health/weapons don't do enough damage. I know, you can kill someone with an AK-103 with 3 kevshots. This isn't the real cause, but maybe the player health could be lowered slightly or the damage increased slightly.
2. Too hard to hit. Weapons are a bit inaccurate and that's why it requires half a clip/10 bullets to kill someone. In 1.27 we had large hitboxes and then we didn't have this problem. Hitboxes are technically old-fashioned, but it was better for gameplay imho, because you could hit people easier (knife throwing in 1.27 :D !!!).
3. Bullets not penetrating limbs. The best example for this is when you hit someone facing your direction in the hand which holds the gun with a SR-8. The hand holding the gun is just in front of the kevlar vest, but bullets don't penetrate so the player which was hit in the hand stays alive with minor damage. This also happens a lot when your shooting people with autos in their arms. I posted about this before, but SID never replied as far as I know.

I think the best approach for SID to solve this problem I described would be solving cause number 3.

I can also remember knfing people who were medicing each other. It was on casa, I quickly cut their throaths before they could fire a shot :). One of the coolest ways to kill people is using the boot of passion to kick a camper out of the bell tower in rommel :P.

My favorite weapons in UrT:

1. knife/boot/sr-8
2. all the other weapons which don't require as much skill as those three to be used.

#63 User is offline   DoctorDominology (old) Icon

• LocationDouble Six

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:45 PM

And last but not least the waverespawn-on-TDM problem which SID refuses to fix.

You mean the waverespawn-on-TDM which server admins don't change.

wave respawn is not broken...we cant force lazy admins

Whether it's SID's problem or the admin's problem, the result will be the same, players having less fun in the TDM mode that is.

Speak for yourself. You're the only one I seem to see complaining about it.

#64 User is offline   Oswald (old) Icon

• LocationWishin' I was in SoCal

Posted 16 October 2004 - 12:21 AM

27 has talked about hit detection at some length for some time now...

#65 User is offline   Paradroid (old) Icon

• LocationScotland

Posted 16 October 2004 - 06:45 PM

[quote name='"Oswald"]WHy? Why do gamers continue to come back' date=' with all the "new games" that are supposed to do a mod like ours in[/quote']

Oz, I didn't play UrT between January - April this year ('cause a friend got me hooked on BF1942 & Vietnam - those helo's are fun).

By April I really missed the fast paced action of UrT, so I came back. The balance of weaponry, nice clean shots, adrenaline pumping small(ish) maps (AQ2 vet here!), medics, quake strafe-jumping, comedy... it has it all!

I think the balance of scale between the maps and the players abilities to move around (game engine?), give it a flow that's probably got some semi-mystical origins (like music that pumps @ or on multiples of your heatbeat, or it incorporates the golden ratio 1:1.618, or, something).

I genuinely believe that new maps will keep UrT alive and kicking.
(But they have to be good!)

8)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#66 User is offline   gHOstFaCe (old) Icon

• LocationMiami, FL US

Posted 18 October 2004 - 04:59 PM

In my opinion, the it's-to-hard-to-kill problem in UrT has three causes:

1. Too much health/weapons don't do enough damage. I know, you can kill someone with an AK-103 with 3 kevshots. This isn't the real cause, but maybe the player health could be lowered slightly or the damage increased slightly.
2. Too hard to hit. Weapons are a bit inaccurate and that's why it requires half a clip/10 bullets to kill someone. In 1.27 we had large hitboxes and then we didn't have this problem. Hitboxes are technically old-fashioned, but it was better for gameplay imho, because you could hit people easier (knife throwing in 1.27 :D !!!).
3. Bullets not penetrating limbs. The best example for this is when you hit someone facing your direction in the hand which holds the gun with a SR-8. The hand holding the gun is just in front of the kevlar vest, but bullets don't penetrate so the player which was hit in the hand stays alive with minor damage. This also happens a lot when your shooting people with autos in their arms. I posted about this before, but SID never replied as far as I know.

I think the best approach for SID to solve this problem I described would be solving cause number 3.

1. The damage caused by the weapons is good as is. That is why UrT has better weapon balance now. Players drop like flies with the way the weapons are set right now. If we were able to kill even faster, no one would be able to move across a map. CTF & TS would be very difficult to play and TDM would have scores through the roof. The Kill/Death ratio in TDM will go from (just an example) 50/20 to 100/60, so the same players will still prevail and lose, so the outcome of the games will not change.

2. Shots are mainly missed because of your aiming, and sometimes because of packet loss or lag, which can be extremely frustrating. But for the most part, it is fairly easy to hit targets in UrT. Try using the laser without spam, it helps.

3. Don't shoot their hands!

#67 User is offline   lucky (old) Icon

Posted 23 October 2004 - 03:29 AM

Yep UrT is still the best mp fps arrount. To bad it's on the old quake3 engine.
I don't think porting to ET at this point will help much of restoring the community. I realy liked the interaction with SID. Always fighting to keep TDM alive :) To bad SID is not considering porting it to the HL2 engine. I play Counterstrike source now and while hating counterstike (buying system, speed, no climbing, strafing, no tdm, no real aries etc) it's such a beautifull engine (graphics and physics) that i feel myself dreaming what if UrT was ported to it? I think it would be the worlds nr 1 mod in notime.
But SID hates halflife so that never will happen. I just keep on dreaming and meanwhile thanking SID for some wonderfull years :D

#68 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 23 October 2004 - 07:58 AM

It not that SID hates HL, more that porting to the Source engine would require massive, and I mean massive, code rewrites (almost the entire codebase in reality). In the end you would find yourself with something that looked Urban Terror, but might not have quite the same feel.

We'll see what happens with ET:UT, about the only thing we can do.

#69 User is offline   lucky (old) Icon

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:18 AM

It not that SID hates HL, more that porting to the Source engine would require massive, and I mean massive, code rewrites (almost the entire codebase in reality). In the end you would find yourself with something that looked Urban Terror, but might not have quite the same feel.

We'll see what happens with ET:UT, about the only thing we can do.

Hmmm last year i got the feeling they just really hate it ;) I did send (also last year) a email to gabe newell from valve asking him to contact oswald for porting urt to the hl2 engine and his reply was (with a cc to a guy named "Chris Bokitch" :

We will.

I never heard if he has contacted os about porting.

#70 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:33 AM

So that means that SID hates HL? You don't even know if the message was sent to Oswald. It's great the Gabe showed interest in having Urban Terror ported to Source, but I question the motives behind that interest, or even if the interest was genuine.

SID chose ET as the target engine because it was based on Q3 (easy to port the code) and the fact that it's free. Sure, maybe you can call them lazy for not wanting to do a lot of work, but it's their mod and they're not getting paid to make it.

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942