• You cannot reply to this topic

ut4_poland_b8 Rate Topic: -----

A trip to eastern Europe

#1 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Captain's log,9th of January, Beta8 is released.
14th of January - bugfix relase

Features:

Improved design
Whole map has been remade. That means better brushwork, textures, details and decals. Also, thanks to BladeKiller's education map has much better color balance.

Improved gametypes
Map supports all gametypes now. Some new were added:
Bomb Mode: there is some layout and spawns modifications in this gametype, to provide more "urtish" bomb mode, less "counter-strikeish". Thanks Null for advices.

Capture and Hold - 3 flags to rule them all. Every flag requires hard work to capture. No easy ones inside spawn.

Free for All - what is here to say - get them!

Follow the Leader too!

Team Deathmatch - I have implemented Null's theory and made half of the spawns outside of regular spawn area to make this map more interesting in TDM.

Improved performance
Map has been finally hinted (thanks again Null for teaching me how to do it) and every single brush has been reworked in order to get maximum performance. Map was tested with 20 players - no FPS drops.

Competitive playing ready?
Map has won FTWGL Mapping Contest for competitive play map. FTWGL community is pretty happy about it, but they use to play on different settings, so euro players check by yourself.

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Download HERE

Proper way of upgrade is deleting old versions from your q3ut4!

This post has been edited by MajkiFajki: 21 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

#2 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hi majkifajki. :)
As i remember other countrylike maps were based on some real places or architecture.
This one not, i think. :)
Anyway good job.

This post has been edited by Juno: 20 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

#3 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

As i remember other countrylike maps were based on some real places or architecture.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

You should move away from computer from time to time and go for some trip and see your own country:)

#4 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

^Owned haha

#5 User is offline   quit Icon

• Account: quit

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:13 PM

Hi,

speaking as a mapping newbie / long time urt player here. So, after running around the map for a few minutes, the first impression is that the map is very detailed, geometry wise -- although some buildings look a bit boring IMHO (especially the big grey-ish building with multiple identical red windows). I won't comment on texturing, because it's clearly unfinished, but you seem to have done a good job at it already.

The layout is good, but oversized. sr8 will pwn hard in this map, and lr users will be pretty annoyed I guess. This applies especially to the red flag room (the cathedral there is nice, but wide, and the room is ~1/3 wider than that!), to the long right streed leading to it (a long straight section preceded by an obvious camping-friendly ledge) , and to the central room (I can see the whole room standing from either side; I'd either resize it or cut it in a half). I don't think that adding props around will help too much.

Also, the staircases are either steep (1:1 height:length) and made of very small blocks. They aren't very realistic.

As for lighting, avoid point lights entirely. But I guess you already knew that. :-)

Finally, I'd suggest adding _something_ to the base of the buildings to remove the blocky look some parts of the map have (that is, flat horizontal road surrounded by flat vertical facades), like casa, abbey and cambridge (the new edition) do. Also consider adding some height variation to the ground (slightly upper borders).

So, IOW, the map is generally well-thought, except for issues above (this is to be expected by a b2 map anyway). Just my two cents. The comments here (which are just opinions, anyway) are intended to hopefully help you improve the map, because I can see there's quite some potential there.

[ I think it's too late in the mapping process to really change the overall map size (gtkradiant makes resizing complex brush groups far too painful), but I would suggest to either reconsider some portions of the map to be smaller. or just ignore my comments. :-) ]

Cheers!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Thank You for your feedback. Map is still WiP, so it's time to improve it. Facades - some of them are finished, some of them are place holders. So a lot will change. At some places are simple lights - I used them only for creating test map - In the final version there will be no light out of thin air:)

#7 User is offline   Juno Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: juno
  • Main tag: ~SG~

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

View Postmajkifajki, on 20 October 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

You should move away from computer from time to time and go for some trip and see your own country:)

I know that U took buildings from real life... but whole the map looks like made from random puzzles.
i.e. look on last pasted examples.
This maison from Gdansk (i suppose) doesnt fit to neighbouring building.
Look on Paris by Clatoo... it looks very coherent. Try to keep style. :)
Remember that U do postcard of Ur country, if U decided to call map that name. :)

This post has been edited by Juno: 20 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

#8 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

majki i like ur brushwork and some textures are really nice :) but atm i dont really like the layout from what iwe seen but i cant wait to see the final result :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#9 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

beta3 released - check first post.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942