Urban Terror Forums: Regular mini mapping competitons every 2-3 months - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Regular mini mapping competitons every 2-3 months Rate Topic: -----

Rules & Info

#1 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:32 AM

The below post is a guideline on the rules yet to be edited.

### Contest Guidelines/Rules: ###

Time:
You have 9-Days to design a scene, no layout required with only 1 spawn
Deadline is <month> <day> 2010. (The final day we'd accept entries)
Contest runs from <month> <day> 2010 - <month> <day> 2010

What To Do:
You must begin a new thread on UrbanTerror mapping competitions Forums.
Title your thread "[WIP] 9 Day Level Design" the creator of the topic will tell us whos map is whos (obviously) and the theme name must be placed into the topic description.
Once you start you have 9 days to complete and create a scene, It would be 2 weekends and 1 week inbetween.

You must update your WIP thread daily or whenever possible.

Create:
What we're looking for is any environment as long as the theme or focus is the same which has been told. You can use any editors you like and as many models/entities/brushes you like(unless specified in that weeks rules). However the /r_speeds cound cannot exceed ~45k (some exceptions given, just don't go OTT)
It is not going to be a released map to play everywhere on servers. So levelshots/minimaps are not nessesary. however an intermission could be nice to show which you think the best view is.

>>>The rules can change for particular weeks but this will be noted in that competitions overview

No voids/HOM or end of the world effects (unless I specify eg. we could be doing a rooftops theme or have a focus point of the _skybox entity)

your map name will be ut4_9day_<# of which 9day competition it is>_<your name> for example, mine would be for the 1st competition ut4_9day_1_delirium and for the 2nd competition ut4_9day_2_delirium (Don't use capitals or symbols in your name, convert them to letters, numbers are ok eg. d3lirium)

Once you have finished your map you will PM me a download link to your .pk3 or email it to me(PM me for my Email address) which will use the correct naming convention(see the rules) I will then make a download link which will include everyone's maps in one .zip to test out

Judges:
With the marking what will happen is a group of mappers will go over and give you an overall mark and feedback, then we will choose the top 3-5(maybe more) maps depending on how many we get, for you(the public) to vote on which you think is the best. The top 3 from this lot will be 1st/2nd/3rd.
The mappers who will be voting will remain Anonymous and will vote out of 10 for these aspects texturing, lighting, theme, geometry(How you construct the map) and effects(func_* entities/particle effects/any other cool looking stuff which doesnt fit into any category).

Prize:
The winner and 2 runner-ups will be featured on the front page in the news section(your little claim of fame) and the satisfaction of completing a scene in 9 days.

Contest/Challenge Tips:
  • Plan ahead. Very important to plan every day of what you are going to do.

• Pick a simple idea that you can execute. Simple environment, one central location. Notice that simple is not easy. Don't pick an easy idea. The main focus here is to get you outside the comfort zone of your
    level design abilities and create something new and something you haven't done before.

• We don't want perfect levels here. We want a nicely detailed level to be done in 9 days. Lit, textured, with all the other elements that are required for your idea.

• Implement quickly. Get it inside the editor and test.

• After deciding what you are going to create, pick a focal point of your map and design around it.

• Make progress everyday. Update your WIP thread with images. Best is to update your thread before the day is over. So the following day you can focus on mapping and collect feedback/comments while you sleep :)

• Guidelines to follow. Modify to fit your idea:

DAY 1:
    Geometry

DAY 2:
    Geometry

DAY 3:
    Geometry

DAY 4:
    Texturing

DAY 5:
    Texturing

DAY 6:
    Lighting

DAY 7:
    Lighting

DAY 8:
    Lighting, FX, Sound, Optimization

DAY 9:
    Beta Release

This post has been edited by Delirium: 05 May 2010 - 11:13 PM

#2 User is offline   Rocket Icon

• Account: rocket
  • Main tag: RS|

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

*raises hand*

#3 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm in, is there gonna be a min/max grid requirement?

Possibly throw together a texture pack for the mini comp. or put links to good textures in the comp thread.

There should be a brush limit. Just cause ure good at detail don't mean the map will flow well(fps wise), unless 27, raed, and apoxel are updating the way vis works.
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#4 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

yes there will be certain limits but only to stop people going OTT but if they wanted to they could convert it into a model or what not, I would probably make it a r_speeds limit instead of brush/model but that will all be decided on once it gets closer to a start

#5 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

I'm in, btw what abot modelling competition? :P I'm not a modeller, but some ppl here are, it will be nice to have more models for maps.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

that could come later =) but i know for a fact that there are more mappers than modelers :P

#8 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

The first one will be an easy one to get everyone started, there might not be limits and im thinking over possible rules now

#9 User is offline   ThatSillyNinja Icon

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

Talas wants to join.

I've played with the q3radiant before.. But not for UrT..

And I'm on ubuntu now.. I'll try setting it up tomorrow.

#10 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:07 PM

Like the idea, I'm in.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942