Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Big linux newb here! Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_.dark|dondon

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:15 PM

I recently installed Mandrake10 on a partition. It is crashing during bootup, when transfering files or doing anything harddrive intensive. I am wondering if the linux partition doesnt like the fact it is living with windows :?

Would getting a seperate drive work better?

Also, I decided to see if quake worked. I got the pk3s installed, then I downloaded the 1.32 patch to get the exe. Everything appears to be there, but when I load quake, my screen goes to 640x480 and nothing happens. What causes this? I don't really need games on linux, but I was curious to see how it faired as a gaming OS.

Should I try a different OS?

Help please!

#2 User is offline   gk245 (old) Icon

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

bleh, Mandrake.

Try this one:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

It has just been released, but its based on debian, which has been around forever. And when you say 'try another OS', that just means trying another distribution of linux. They are all linux, they just do a few things differently.

For very recent experiences with ubuntu, here is a thread worth reading through:

http://episteme.arst...&m=647005316631

Also, are you sure your hard drive is not dying on you? Did you run any diagnostic utility on it recently? Make sure your HD is in good condition first before doing anything.

Here are some very good (probably the best i have seen) instructions on install quake3 on linux:

http://www.linuxgami...o.uk/quake3.htm (yes, you're gonna have to install your graphic drivers first, but thats another story altogether).

Good luck. :)

#3 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:19 PM

maybe your chipset isnt really supported by linux/mdk?

#4 Guest_Batcula

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:53 AM

I wouldnt have windows in the same zip code as my linux box.
Check out mandrakes hcl list to see if everything checks out.
Do you have gl drivers on your mandrake box?
I would try running the game in a konsole window to see what error it spits out.
Anywyas Im probably a day and a dollar short on this topic.
I use redhat btw

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:19 AM

It is crashing during bootup, when transfering files or doing anything harddrive intensive.

Crashing? A more detailed description is needed. Like the exact error message or/and logs.

BTW, I don't think this forum is proper at all for general linux questions.

I am wondering if the linux partition doesnt like the fact it is living with windows :?

no way.

Would getting a seperate drive work better?

unlikely.

Also, I decided to see if quake worked. I got the pk3s installed, then I downloaded the 1.32 patch to get the exe. Everything appears to be there, but when I load quake, my screen goes to 640x480 and nothing happens. What causes this? I don't really need games on linux, but I was curious to see how it faired as a gaming OS.

You just said you can't go past bootup, how did you try quake3?

:?

uhm, just noticed you said about other crashes so I assume you got passed bootup. ok, again more details (error messages) are needed and again, I don't think this forum is the best at all for general linux help.

Should I try a different OS?

All linux distributions are the same os. linux. other oses like freebsd run on pcs but I wouldn't advice it as more user-friendly than linux.

BTW, mandrake is fine for beginners. Avoid fanatics that are 1 year or less on linux and scream "that sucks this rulles" and BS. Other easy distributions to use are fedora core, suse, ubuntu or knoppix to try with only a cd - no installation.

good luck.

ps. I usually google and groups.google linux problems before anything.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   illogical Icon

•   verified user   
    Retired Master Server Administrator
  • Account: illogical
  • Main tag: 6th|

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

The smartass in me wants to quote...

From http://liw.iki.fi/liw/texts/linux-the-big-picture.html ...
[quote]Linux itself is only the kernel of an operating system. The kernel is the part that makes all other programs run. It implements multitasking, and manages hardware devices, and generally enables applications to do their thing. All the programs that the user (or system administrator) actually interacts with are run on top of the kernel. Some of these are essential: for example, a command line interpreter (or shell), which is used both interactively and to write shell scripts (corresponding to .BAT files).

Linus did not write these programs himself, and used existing free versions instead. This reduced greatly the amount of work he had to do to get a working environment. In fact, he often changed the kernel to make it easier to get the existing programs to run on Linux, instead of the other way around.

Most of the critically important system software, including the C compiler, came from the Free Software Foundation's GNU project. Started in 1984, the GNU project aims to develop an entire Unix-like operating system that is completely free. To credit them, many people like to refer to a Linux system as a GNU/Linux system. (GNU has their own kernel as well.)[/quote]

So yeah, it is not a "linux distribution", it's a "GNU/linux distribution".[/quote]

#7 User is offline   HoboHumpinSlut (old) Icon

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:05 PM

i heard http://kernel.org distributes linux

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

I use debian - for ages supporters of the gnu/linux naming - for the past 3 years, but I tend to go with just 'linux' and also call the linux kernel just linux(not that anyone disagrees on the latter though). Not because I hate stallman or anything, I think he's pretty cool and sometimes brave to go out and say what he says about closed code and patents, but that campaign about gnu/linux is an overkill in my opinion. It is also weakened by the fact gnu have not completed their own kernel yet. I doubt they'd insist in calling linux gnu/linux, if just 'gnu' was in linux' working condition and popular.anyway, boring and old discussion this one and insignificant compared to real problems (patent and gpl related international laws).

#9 Guest_Trizt

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

Torvalds linux did "sank" Gnu Hurd a lot, and Hurd is a lot more complex and more difficult to debug, so it's natrually taking a lot longer to finish.

What the GNUs want is to make people aware about them and their products, as it's today quite few know that they are using GNU stuff when they use linux and it seems that not many do know what GNU stands for (not talking about "GNU not unix").

---

Back to the orignal question, there is all to little information for ous to help you, you have to tell what happens in detail, or do you think your local car workshop can tell you whats wrong if you call them and say, "my car don't start, what's wrong?".

#10 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:13 AM

I may want to support the philosophy of free speech for opressed bananas. I won't call my fridge Banana/Fridge just because it contains some bananas in it :wink:

Anyway, neither "linux" or "gnu/linux" is "right" or "wrong". CScience hasn't defined OS clearly enough to know where the "OS" ends and starts being userland.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942