• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cathedral Challenge Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   nemesis Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Tester
  • Account: nemesis

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

This particular challenge falls under the geometry and lighting category. We want submissions showing your prowess in geometry detail and ability to light up a building, but with no other forms of detailing. You may either do the inside OR the outside of a cathedral.

Use a simple white or grey texture!
http://i49.tinypic.com/2evvxj9.jpg

Submission Requirements:

- The latest .map and a properly packaged .pk3 of your creation.
- If you required inspiration for your creation, submit a link or an image of what you based your creation on.

Make a specific forum post in the competition section for consideration using the following format (Author’s Name – Cathedral) and email your submissions to pizzyre@gmail.com before the 5th of each month for consideration. Good luck!

#3 User is offline   nemesis Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Tester
  • Account: nemesis

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

View PostHappyday, on 06 July 2010 - 10:10 PM, said:

I'm considering to participate but I need some clarification. We are supposed to build a cathedral as detailed as possible, using just one simple texture and then light it up as good as possible? Is a skybox allowed? Does it actually have to be playable? Do fps matter or can it be a 1 million brush structure? I suppose models are not allowed? Does anything else count than the cathedral itself, like a any terrain around it? Are we expected to post wip shots or is the work going to be private until release?
I hope that's not too many questions :smile: . This one might be an interesting competition :smile:

1) We are supposed to build a cathedral as detailed as possible, using just one simple texture and then light it up as good as possible?

Yes.

2)Is a skybox allowed?

This falls under lighting and you may use a skybox when lighting your map.

3) Does it actually have to be playable? Do fps matter or can it be a 1 million brush structure?

It doesn't have to be playable and there isn't a brush limit (you just have to be able to compile it).

4)I suppose models are not allowed?

You may use models, but they may not necessarily factor into how it is judged.

5) Does anything else count than the cathedral itself, like a any terrain around it?

Terrain will not factor into how your cathedral is judged.

6) Are we expected to post wip shots or is the work going to be private until release?

You may report your progress whenever and at whatever frequency you like (as long as a thread detailing your progress is posted before the 5th).

Feel free to ask more questions. :)

#5 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Make a specific forum post in the competition section

Maybe this is a stupid question, but where in the competition section? Under this topic, or one level up right out there in the main section, or start a whole new topic or what? I've been half waiting for someone else to do it so I can just do what they do, but for all I know so is everyone else. Maybe one of you guys could do an example post so we can see how we're supposed to keep this all organized.

This post has been edited by Drewfin: 07 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

1) the assesment criteria is mostly about geometric complexity and lighting. Obvious mistakes like z-fighting are going to be marked down, but you are free to resubmit to fix them as per the rules. We arnt going to be inspecting your map for perfect brushwork, so long as the final result is pretty.

2) No. The Cathederal Challenge stands until someone has 'won the month' three times. So Aug 5th, we judge, theres the first months winner. Then Sep 5th, Month 2's winner - perhaps the same guy. Month three, if its the same guy again, complete winner.

The idea is to promote one-up manship. You see everyones entry and go "I can do better!" or perhaps go "I can fix my entry"

#7 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

View PostTwentySeven, on 07 July 2010 - 04:08 PM, said:

2) No. The Cathederal Challenge stands until someone has 'won the month' three times. So Aug 5th, we judge, theres the first months winner. Then Sep 5th, Month 2's winner - perhaps the same guy. Month three, if its the same guy again, complete winner.

i think it sound slow and kinda boring after a while.. idk but having a new contest every mounth seems better :tongue:
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#8 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

It is slow if theres just one competition, but theres not. We're free to post new challenges as often as we like :) It just takes minumum 3 months for one to wrap up.

#9 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:52 AM

View PostTwentySeven, on 08 July 2010 - 01:44 AM, said:

It is slow if theres just one competition, but theres not. We're free to post new challenges as often as we like :) It just takes minumum 3 months for one to wrap up.

k
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#10 User is offline   Waltergmsurt Icon

• Account: waltergmsurt
  • Main tag:

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

Can i make it all (geometry) on 3ds Max and make it a ASE model?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942