• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whos entering the new contests? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

well we could just do a new topic / contest ourselves.. just set a date, time it goes to. and new subject/topic to map.. i'd be keen.
that cathedral one was a nice and simple idea with only 2 textures and lighting for it... even if its not gonna go towards anything exciting ie competition wise, prize or whateva.. could just be posted for others to critique/admire.

bit like the 9day thing that we had. either side of the weekend and the weekday in between.

who wants to suggest date / time goes for / topic?. stuff the rules. just make it dam pretty :)

#22 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

View PostKhaotiK-Lord, on 25 August 2010 - 10:47 PM, said:

well we could just do a new topic / contest ourselves.. just set a date, time it goes to. and new subject/topic to map.. i'd be keen.
that cathedral one was a nice and simple idea with only 2 textures and lighting for it... even if its not gonna go towards anything exciting ie competition wise, prize or whateva.. could just be posted for others to critique/admire.

bit like the 9day thing that we had. either side of the weekend and the weekday in between.

who wants to suggest date / time goes for / topic?. stuff the rules. just make it dam pretty :)

I have a few idea as far as things I think would make good challenges. It might be a good idea to start a new topic for 'Challenge Ideas' that could then be informally discussed and voted on. If more people have a say in what the next challenge is, maybe more will be willing to participate.

Here are a few off the top of my head. The only big overarching rule I would make is that everything should be built as if it were going to be included in a real map, meaning it shouldn't have a ton of tris or other FPS-eating problems:

Fountains - Build a fountain or similar water feature; you could focus on the structure, or on a cool water shader, or both

Bridges - Stone bridges, metal bridges, wood bridges, whatever. This could be restricted to a purely strutural thing with a single white shader ala the Cathedral, or we could leave it wide open/anything goes

Waterfall - Build a cool-looking waterfall in any style

'Func' or 'Trigger' Challenge - Build something with a specified 'func' or 'trigger', i.e. func_door, func_train, func_breakable, etc. It could be more specific, like 'drawbridge', 'death scream', etc.

'Shader' Challenge - Build a shader around a specific theme, i.e. 'metallic', 'light through colored glass', 'neon sign', etc.

'Design' Challenge - for instance: build a fully-functional TDM maping using a few basic textures and only simple brushes, focused on an aspect of good map-making (such as making multiple paths for 'flanking', making a map with at least 3 distinct vertical levels, balancing an asymmetrical map, etc.)

I could go on, but I'm sure once others get their mind going in that direction they'll come up with even better ideas.

#23 User is offline   Picola Icon

• Account: picola
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:30 PM

I like the bridge idea
we make your maps so you dont have to.

#24 User is offline   Rocket Icon

• Account: rocket
  • Main tag: RS|

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Lol, I've actually made a mini draw bridge =P

#25 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

These are all great ideas, problem is we arnt even seeing entrys for the simple things like the texture ones. :/

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Rocket Icon

• Account: rocket
  • Main tag: RS|

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Cus textures are boring xD

#27 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

View PostTwentySeven, on 31 August 2010 - 09:50 PM, said:

These are all great ideas, problem is we arnt even seeing entrys for the simple things like the texture ones. :/

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but I'd say if nobody enters a challenge by the first submission date, delete it and replace it with something else. And maybe before choosing what to replace it with, take an informal poll with a few ideas and get some feedback to gauge interest beforehand.

#28 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

yea agreed... textures are boring. we are here to map stuff. not create textures..

i think there prob is only 1 person that creates textures, that i read on the forums about, oh unless u count the people that make textures for the bumpy stuff, but thats just using a program to create you a _N and _B file.. everyone else either maps or models.

delete the thread and start with a new one that everyone is into.. constructing :biggrin:

This post has been edited by KhaotiK-Lord: 02 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942