• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whos entering the new contests? Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I've been considering the lack of participation in the new contests so far (at least as far as I can see,) and have a few comments;

1. I think Delirium's 9-day timeframe was a little less daunting of a commitment than the 30-day rolling thing. And the 9-day starting on Saturday was more 'fair' since people with only weekends to work on maps got 4 days, compared to 5 weekdays, when in a given 30 days there are a lot fewer weekend-days to weekdays.

1a. I would suggest that if the 30-day thing is kept that any contest that fails to attract any contestants be removed after the first 30 days and replaced with something else. (Opening it up for community suggestions for the next contest would be cool.)

2. I think the bump/normal-mapped textures section could stand to be opened up to any and all textures, not just bricks, until a 'release' version of both the bumpy compiler and bumpy-enabled engine binary has been established. Right now to use the bumpy stuff you have to slog through a 100+ page thread of mostly irrelevant information to even get started - and then you have to maintain a semi-separate mapping environment unless you want to trust that the bumpy compiler and binary aren't going to mess with your main environment. As someone who has done this, it's not trivial. When the binary released with the game supports bumpy 'out of the box', as it were, that seems like the time to have more specific challenges. For now, I think anyone who has put the effort into getting bumpy working and making something with it should be able to put up whatever texture they want.

2a. Specific shader or particle contests might be more appropriate until the bumpy stuff is more approachable. There are plenty of cool things that could be done that are already supported in the release engine.

3. Maybe I'm wrong in this, but the ultimate goal of mapping is to hopefully end up with something that either in part or in whole be usable in-game. To that end, I don't really understand the point of making a super high-detailed model or map, since importing into UrT would most likely result in something unplayable. I totally appreciate the skill it takes to create a highly detailed structure or object, but if running it in the game drops the FPS to less than 30 with a single player, it's not useful for play and therefore not really useful. My humble opinion is that all mapping competitions should be designed with the goal of fostering the development of solid playable maps.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to throw in my two cents.

#13 User is offline   ReaperX Icon

• Account: reaperx
  • Main tag: -VA-

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

Goodluck to all , I quite fail on mapmaking , and etc. I need some more experience and i'll probably look forward to future contest instead. Once again , good-luck to all the contestants!
|-DX-|ReaperX|`
DeGenerationX Recruiter.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

View PostHappyday, on 03 August 2010 - 09:49 PM, said:

...My suggestion would be to add a few more challenges of each type so that we can work on more projects at the same time.

I like that idea, more smaller-scale challenges, particularly ones for structures or terrian that can be done in Radiant. I can't speak for anyone else, but my reason for not doing the tree was exactly as you said - a tree seems like it would better be done in a modelling tool, and modelling tools tend to be pretty time-intensive to learn.

View PostHappyday, on 03 August 2010 - 09:49 PM, said:

Well, we haven't seen the results of the first month of the competition yet so I don't think we can draw a final conclusion yet. Maybe there are more participants than we thought.

I hope so, but then if there have been people working on things I wish they would start a thread and show some progress. My favorite part of these things is watching people's progress and process and seeing how everyone takes it in their own particular direction.

#17 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

you can make models in GTK as well, just make it, save it as a map, then its 2 different compile strings to convert to .ase.

to compile to bsp
"c:\dirtoq3map2\q3map2\q3map2.exe" -v -meta -patchmeta -samplesize 0 -v -fs_basepath "C:\pathtomap" -fs_game q3ut4 "C:\pathtomap\mapname.map"

to convert to .ase
"F:\dirtoq3map2\q3map2\q3map2.exe" -v -convert ASE -meta -patchmeta -samplesize 0 -fs_basepath "C:\UrtMapping" -fs_game q3ut4 "C:\UrtMapping\q3ut4\maps\ut4_sidewinder.map"

dont need all the extras in that line. those lines are in 2 seperate .bat files. then actually getting the textures on it is easy instead of 3ds models etc.

yea I agree with the points brung up. I loved the 9day challanges seen I only get the weekdays to map, not the weekends, was small simple and not much required of it, ie build a alleyway, section it off, points for lighting and construction, and also has lots of speed but still look impressive, here is an example go for it... a cathedral in 30days :blink: :blink:.

as for the bumpy thing, i dont wanna make maps/textures, that work in one release of bumpy then dont work in another release, seen this is gonna be the norm for 4.2 where bumpy is going to be involved and used.. rather the challanges keep to using normal non bumpy stuff, gives everyone a level playing field to work on.

This post has been edited by KhaotiK-Lord: 05 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

#18 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

err bump, it died in here :blink:, more like whole category has

#20 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

Man, I hope something happens soon.. it's going to be tough to keep anyone checking back without any updates or activity.

If anyone wants to take stab at any of the other three contest categories, I'll join in just to generate some movement. Even though I don't really dig the current catagories from a philosophical point of view, I'd hate for the whole contest concept to die on the vine.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942