Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:18 AM

Oh well i guess Null will just have to write us a tutorial then :D

#42 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:20 AM

Write?
I expect full video tutorial in 1080p and 5.1 Surround.
It's not so simple!

#43 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

Indeed, if he's going to make it he might as well go all the way and make it in HD.
God forbid Loran doesn't sees every detail of a tutorial showing how not to put a map in a big box.

#44 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:21 PM

skaz, with your permission, I'd like to use this map on the league mapcycle
i'm starting an urt league. And I'd liek to present this map in the 2vs2 / 3vs3 mapcycle.

The map is too small for 5 vs 5 imo, sry..

#45 User is offline   loran Icon

• Account: loran

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

View PostRav3n, on 03 April 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

Indeed, if he's going to make it he might as well go all the way and make it in HD.
God forbid Loran doesn't sees every detail of a tutorial showing how not to put a map in a big box.

OK guys, maybe I am blind but it seem no one can find a descent tutorial on it? Tell me I m wrong.
SO there Is a reason to do a map in a box : You can't know how to it well if you arent not named Nul.

I started an office map years ago, created in 3ds max. Works well until there is a lack of cuts in the global model.
The only answer I could get in this forums was : You have to "blablabla" it." (I think its Klingon). After many search over the web I just can't find any descent help, no more in this forum. Generally here, "respectable Knowing people" just answer critics and no explanations.

I am a computer graphics artist and in this community (cgsociety.com), the people who knows just explain clearly and don't answer "there is no reason" without developping.

proove me I am wrong and you will make my day.
scuze me I have a map in a box to finish ;p

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   icarebecauseyoudo Icon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

It's very simple to not make a map inside a giant box: just cap off each exposed area with it's own skybox or with unaccessable details (like a corridor with a corner blocked by a gate.

What you refer to as "blablabla" will generally be explained in the GTK help and reference files (shader manual etc). You shouldn't need a tutorial to show you how to RTFM.

#47 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

First of all he stated why we should NOT put it in a box.
Bloated .bsp file
Extra redundant lightmap data - bloats peoples texture memory
Extra redundant renderable surfaces - slows peoples fps
Reduced VIS accuracy, or no VIS in the case of your map - really fucks up fps

Second, i honestly doubt you know how to configure radiant let alone build a map in it. I don't see how can someone who claims to work in max for years not know THE basic thing in level design for UrT.

This post has been edited by Rav3n: 05 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

#48 User is offline   loran Icon

• Account: loran

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

why are you repeating the same sentences?
We ever read that before. That is NOT what I am asking for. I asking for solutions!
forget it. It seem you don't know what we are speaking about.

I ve done several in-a-box map. One of them is thewall (don't know it?). I 've done it un GTK of course. I want to try building a new map in max like some people do. I had to giveup because the lack of answers in this forum. I am not working in the game industry. My job is not about map creation. I just want some help and only find some bullshit like"there is no reason you don't know".
so again, forget it...

#49 User is offline   Rayne Icon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:32 PM

No i don't know that map ,and judging by the amount of knowledge about level design you poses and lack of familiarity with some of most basic stuff i don't want to know that map.
It's probably some tiny ridiculous map where you throw bombs over a wall (judging by the name) stuck in a box.
You're not repeating one and the same question, you keep bitching how nobody wants to write you a tutorial on something so basic it's beyond ridiculous.
It's something you don't even bother asking. And in the same time it's something Null has been repeating for years. And we all know why is it bad to put a map in a box...well obviously not all.
Now please do us a all a favor, stop raging in a thread started to present someone's map.

I'm all for helping level designers, my signature is a proof of it. But i don't see a point in wasting my time on helping someone who's first words are "You're full of shit Null" cause he expects from us that love level design to use our damn heads and some common sense.

This post has been edited by Rav3n: 05 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

#50 User is offline   icarebecauseyoudo Icon

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

The solution is to cap off all exposed areas with their own skybox or caulk, it's pretty simple. The ironic thing is that I learned that solution from a post that NulL made :rolleyes:

I've played your map (thewall) and it wouldn't be well designed or fun even if you built it properly. I could tell you how to make it better but I wouldn't know where to begin*, and I sure as hell wouldn't expect anybody here to write you a tutorial and hold your hand through the process.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942