• Account: drewfin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Edited copy-paste of my ideas from from the other topic:

Modelling
  • Street Lamp

Geometry
  • Fountain (water shader optional)
  • Bridge
  • Moving or Interactive elements (using Funcs & Triggers)

Texture/Shader
  • Waterfall (+supporting geometry)
  • Light-emitting signage (Neon, scrolling, light-up billboard, etc.)

And as Happyday mentioned, design challenges focuses less on map detail and prettiness, and more on thinking about map playability concepts such as veriticality and flanking/chokepoints.

#3 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

View PostHappyday, on 26 August 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

I completely agree with that. Every challenge should have a cap on complexity. This restriction has to be discussed for each challenge on it's own but I definately think we need this.

I think we can first gather some ideas and later agree on which challenges we really want to have(maybe a poll?). A few challenge suggestions from me:

Geometry
  • Creating the ruins of a building - a completely destroyed house.
  • A small stadium.
  • A triumphal arch or a nice Gate/Portal

It would also be interesting to create a whole scene by yourself and mix a few categories, for example a street scene. So you need to create a lamp model, build a detailed street, maybe the facade of a building, make your own textures and give the scene a distinct atmosphere by choosing the right colours and lighting. This would be of course a little more complex and you needed a variety of skills for this. But I guess it's doable in 30 days (assuming we keep the same timeframe as before).

Creating the basic layout for a tdm map, including different height levels and adding spawn points. The layout is the first part of the map so I guess this challenge might bring forth a number of very interesting layouts that we could continue on working to eventually have a finshed and playable map. :biggrin:

i like that, the street scene idea, but 30days is a bit long to make something, interest would prob drop, i liked the 9day challange.. (although i only get 5days cos i dont map in weekends - family time), or could be 2weeks. yea the split levels on a map sounds neat as..

also i like the just a street idea as well.. (i know there is already just a street idea for a map), but a multi layered street would be interesting, in that street you could have your street lamp design, mayb a bridge, foutain, and a car in it... also a building in ruins too..

but yea would definatly like to see a good mapping challange/comp/friendly get underway.

This post has been edited by KhaotiK-Lord: 27 August 2010 - 03:46 AM

#4 User is offline   b0n3z Icon

• Account: b0n3z

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:07 AM

sounds good, im in the process of creating a multi level ctf/ts/bomb/ffa map at the moment, would be interesting to see everyone else's work

#5 User is offline   Volt Icon

• Account: volt

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

Another challenge could spring out of the layout challenge, a challenge where you must make the most aestheticly pleasing map using that layout. And if that is too much in one, you could break it up into a detail comp, then a texturing, etc, etc, till we have a finished map.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

cool idea guys :D

idk if mine is good, but its just an idea:
The people who enter the cometition is gonna make a map based on:
lets say. we have 10 pictures of some locations,buildings,objects etc. (the one who is setting up the competition will shoose the pictures)
and the map need to include atlest 5 of the pictures.
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#8 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:03 PM

View Post.v3nd3tta., on 30 August 2010 - 05:10 PM, said:

i would be in, just someone has to start it :P

Everyone is someone.

If nothing happens on the 'official' tip by the time I get around to checking the forums on September 6th, I'll step up and try to get something rolling. So if anyone likes any of the ideas listed so far or has any new ones, bring it up - the more people discuss what they enjoy doing, the more likley I'll be able to pick something enjoyable to the largest group.

#9 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

View PostJustMe..., on 28 August 2010 - 10:48 AM, said:

The people who enter the cometition is gonna make a map based on:
lets say. we have 10 pictures of some locations,buildings,objects etc. (the one who is setting up the competition will shoose the pictures)
and the map need to include atlest 5 of the pictures.

i like this, this is good..

cept does it need to be a map? ie normal game map, spawns etc? or just a scene/area, ie like a street/alley way/park

#10 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:41 PM

View PostKhaotiK-Lord, on 31 August 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

i like this, this is good..

cept does it need to be a map? ie normal game map, spawns etc? or just a scene/area, ie like a street/alley way/park

hmm idk.. i was thinking of a map (with spawns and bomb spots and flags and all), but idk if needed spawn, it could be like a scene map
cause idk about just making an alley, i mean an alley based on 5 pictures that must be/(based on the picture) in the alley is gonna be kinda hard i guess..
but i just came up with an suggestion ur free to mod the suggestion as much u like. :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942