• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Community Challenge - Bridge Rate Topic: -----

9-day challenge, Saturday the 11th to Sunday the 19th

#1 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:57 PM

A second 5th has come and gone with no updates on the official competition, so as promised in the Challenge Ideas topic, I'm proposing the following community challenge:

Build a bridge of any kind or style, starting work on this coming Saturday the 11th, and stopping by the end of Sunday the 19th (all your local time.)

Details:
There are no hard limits on restrictions to geometry or texture count. You may include models, as long as less than half of the bridge is made up of model parts. You may use moving parts (func_whatever,) bumpy textures (of your own creation), advanced shaders, etc. - basically any technique you want.

Rules:
1. Start a new topic using the title "Bridge Challenge - yourname", where "yourname" is your forum name.
2. Post a link to a working PK3 with a spawn point before the end of Sunday the 19th. The PK3 may be no larger than 5MB.

Voting:
On the 20th, I will start a new topic for voting for the best submission, and anyone may vote on their favorite maps (other than their own). Anyone who has participated in the challenge can cast three votes, anyone who participated but did not finish can cast two, and anyone else who did not participate may cast one vote. Voting ends on Thursday the 23rd, and I will count the votes sometime on the 24th.

Notes:
- While there is no limit on geometry, everyone is encouraged to consider performance when we get to voting. Ideally, when you build something for a game engine, it should be something that could reasonably be used in a playable map.

- While you are welcome to use bumpy/normal-mapped textures, nobody voting is required to view your map using the bumpy executable.

- Please update and comment often - a lot of the fun in these competitions is seeing how people think, seeing their progress, and getting feedback on your design.

- Feel free to start thinking of your design, looking for reference photos/arts, sketching plans, etc. Just please don't start building anything until the competition is officially started. We're using the honor system on this one.

Questions, comments? Let me know as soon as possible - I'm going to keep active watch of this topic, hopefully if I've been unclear or done something that prevents anyone from wanting to participate, it can be addressed/amended before the 11th.

#2 User is offline   KhaotiK-Lord Icon

• Account: khaotiklord

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:44 AM

sounds like a plan :).

but is it *just* a bridge u want done.. or a bit of the sorrounding area.. ie land/road/? the bridge connectes to either end.

water?

or howeva we want to present it, seen its just the bridge we are marking on...

yea ill join and have a stab at this :biggrin:

This post has been edited by KhaotiK-Lord: 07 September 2010 - 02:45 AM

#3 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

I really think its time the 9day mapping competition came back.

Sounds like a great idea, and I'm keen.

Khaotik Lord, I'd say its up to the mapper, It doesn't even need to be a bridge for cars it could be a footbridge. and OFC you can the surrounding, its about lighting + detail + performance not just building brushes :P

#4 User is offline   Rocket Icon

• Account: rocket
  • Main tag: RS|

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

BRUSHES FTW!!! xD
Rofl, but yea, I'm in. Not sure how much time I'll get, but I'll give it a good shot. Brushwork only for me though. I'm sticking with what I know. :laugh:

#5 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

I appreciate it, loved the first 9day comp :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:26 PM

View PostDelirium, on 07 September 2010 - 03:51 AM, said:

Khaotik Lord, I'd say its up to the mapper, It doesn't even need to be a bridge for cars it could be a footbridge. and OFC you can the surrounding, its about lighting + detail + performance not just building brushes :P

Nailed it. The bridge itself is all that's required, but you can build out around it as little or as much as you want beyond that, as long as the focal point remains the bridge. We could have a highly detailed modern bridge that is nothing but brushwork and a few simple textures up against a very simple stone bridge over a tiny stream with carefully designed water and lighting, and that's totally fine - the focus is up to you.

#7 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:44 PM

I will try to create something, because i was thinking long time ago about making map with "S" layout and bridge in center.

#8 User is offline   pss9 Icon

• Account: pss9

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

nice, count me

#9 User is offline   H3NRY Icon

• Account: h3nry
  • Main tag: .um

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

count me in man, i willsee what i can do and we will probably have quite a few of good ones come out of this, or at least some good ideas thrown on paper :)
Urban Mulchers, .um, H3NRY.um
Hacker?, GTFO! we don't care who you are if you hack.

sadly no servers at the moment

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942