Urban Terror Forums: Step4, a new Tips & Tricks website for UrT - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Step4, a new Tips & Tricks website for UrT Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Step 4, 120 short articles collected on one page

#1 User is offline   brickuz Icon

• Account: brickuz

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi,

This is a tips & tricks page I've been working on for the last months. It's far from perfect, but I think it could be useful for some: http://erik.sajbertown.com/urt.

The page, so far, contains just above 120 "very short articles" spread over subjects like equipment, player tactics, clan management and gaming psychology.

If anyone got time to spare I would really like you to comment on faults, misleading descriptions and even language (I'm not from US/UK). Hopefully, with some help from those of you who are a lot more experienced, this could actually become useful for someone.

Just to clarify: This is not in any way a try to compete with pages like Daily 'Nade. Daily 'Nade is an excellent page with in depth articles about a few well selected aspects of Urban Terror. What I've tried to accomplish is something a lot less detailed and instead more broadly covering, a bit like a reference web page rather than an article web page actually.

Finally I just want to emphasise that I'm not a pro in any way, however, this is not the first time I make something like this and the earlier attempts, in other games, have become very popular so I'm not completely lost either.

Thank you for your time and I hope this is not considered advertising in a bad, rule breaking, way (?)

EDIT

The level on the articles differs a bit from section to section. Equipment for example is only for beginners I would say while Clan Management and Practice are more advanced for example.

This post has been edited by brickuz: 27 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

#2 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

wow, that website really covers every single aspect of playing urban terror, great job! I hope a lot of people will read this but the problem with these websites is that once they become inactive (dailynade.com) people stop visiting, and the incredibly useful information doesn't get viewed as much as it deserves. We have a new site at Urban-zone.org but afaik it has a blog function, if you wanna get more exposure that might be something you wanna think about, or you could put it all into a .pdf and upload it to urban-zone. I'm not saying this to promote urban-zone, I'd just think it would be a shame that this info gets lost as time goes on :)

#3 User is offline   SemteX Icon

• Account: semtex

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Awesome guide!!!! Really complete and I agree to say that it covers a lot of aspects of the game. I would really recommend it to any beginners out there looking to get better in-game!

Awesome job, Cheers!!!

Only thing I would say, is that I was quite surprised to see Counter-Strike images instead of some Urt models :D but other then that, Awesome!!!

#4 User is offline   brickuz Icon

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Seven of Nine, I'll consider both the options. The problem with PDF though is that the guide is maintained directly on the site so making a PDF would require all the data to be extracted and edited manually every now and then to keep the PDF up to date... But that's just a minor .)

Thanks to both of you for all the positive reactions!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   brickuz Icon

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

View PostHappyday, on 22 September 2010 - 07:01 PM, said:

Very nice guide! I put a link on my website right at the top because it's the best I've found so far. Great job, I'll recommend this guide to others.
Cheers

Looking at how many times I've played HappyJumpTutorial and how much I've learned from it (linked in the Practice section if you didn't notice .) it was an easy decision to add your link on my page as well. My jump config ends with: "map ut4_happyjumptutorial_beta3" .)

#7 User is offline   Websey Icon

• Account: websey

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Great Site,

I was thinking if you were to run the site under a joomla / wordpress install you can export all content or individual articles as PDF's :) that maybe an idea

if you would think about going that way ! I would more than happily give you the hosting space on one of my servers ! I would also create a template in the same design maybe jsut with urban terror rather than counterstrike images as SemteX suggested, I have pm'd you my email ! give me a shout with what you think

websey

#8 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

View Postbrickuz, on 22 September 2010 - 11:04 AM, said:

Thanks Seven of Nine, I'll consider both the options. The problem with PDF though is that the guide is maintained directly on the site so making a PDF would require all the data to be extracted and edited manually every now and then to keep the PDF up to date... But that's just a minor .)

Please don't put it into a PDF, a navigable web system is the better option for content like this.

UZ has a Help Guides section which we really don't use enough and adding additional such sections is easy, I could make one just for this begineers guide, but like Seven wouldn't want to come across as trying to ride on the back of your considerable efforts. :)

#9 User is offline   Websey Icon

• Account: websey

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Was that a snipe Kendle ?

to be honest I don't mind if he doesn't take me up on the offer ! it was just an idea that would allow people to view it in many different formats, !

#10 User is offline   brickuz Icon

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

View PostWebsey, on 22 September 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

Great Site,

I was thinking if you were to run the site under a joomla / wordpress install you can export all content or individual articles as PDF's :) that maybe an idea

if you would think about going that way ! I would more than happily give you the hosting space on one of my servers ! I would also create a template in the same design maybe jsut with urban terror rather than counterstrike images as SemteX suggested, I have pm'd you my email ! give me a shout with what you think

websey

I already got a couple of Wordpress blogs up for other reasons but I choosed not to use any system like that this time to give me more flexibility in case I decided to add more functions to the page (for example demo/movie/picture upload and such), but it is a good idea and like I said, it's something I actually considered myself.

Regarding the design I'm open for options (right now it's a slightly modified free web template but I guess that's something you've already noticed .) However, I prioritize readability before design so if anyone would like to make a better design, feel free to do so, but it will have to be at least as as good readability as there are now if you want it to be accepted. I would say design in general is my Achilles' heel so providing CSS and a simple HTML-page with tables/divs/whatever already prepared is a requirement.

The web server is owned and run professionally by a close friend (running a web designing company) so the page will stay there but I really appreciate your offer since good web space sometimes is hard to find.

View PostKendle, on 22 September 2010 - 08:53 PM, said:

Please don't put it into a PDF, a navigable web system is the better option for content like this.

UZ has a Help Guides section which we really don't use enough and adding additional such sections is easy, I could make one just for this begineers guide, but like Seven wouldn't want to come across as trying to ride on the back of your considerable efforts. :)

I agree that PDF is not well suited but with internal links it should be at least manageable. The problem with internal links though is when you deliver a new version since it will probably require quite a lot of manual work... Well think I got some reading up to do when it comes to automatically generate PDFs in PHP if I want that to work .)

Regarding UZ, the link is added to the blog (as you probably have noticed already), if you think it should be moved/added somehwere else, you are free to move/copy it or just contact me (PM/reply/comment) and I'll fix it. I didn't want to put it in the Help Guide myself since I thought that one was only used for UZ related help guides (like page navigation tutorials, rules and such).

EDIT

Updates to the page
Made some various updates based mostly on comments I've got, two more noticeable though:
1) Added damage stats for all weapons (some updates left to do though)
2) Added an article about how to create a dummy target (thanks to InigoMontoya)
Hope you enjoy it!

EDIT2

More updates
1) A complete overhaul of the Equipment section
2) General updates to the page (bug fixes)
3) Added fire rate stats
4) Added a test of SPAS to see how it actually works
5) Added some new articles and updated some existing ones

EDIT3

More updates
1) More details regarding jumping techniques
2) Added boot kick, surviving falls, bomb mode tips, SR8 unzoom script and much more (over 130 short articles now)
3) Added a change log and update marker to make it easier to quickly find what's new/updated.

This post has been edited by brickuz: 10 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942