Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Crouch key in Linux vs. Windows Rate Topic: -----

Why does it act differently?

#1 User is offline   warhammer4k Icon

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

Lately I noticed that although I'm using the same key as "Crouch" when playing Urban Terror under both Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04, it acts differently under the two OS's.

I have Left Control and CapsLock both set as "crouch." In Windows, both act as momentary keys, e.g., I have to hold down Ctrl or Capslock to stay crouched. In Ubuntu, Capslock toggles crouch instead, while Ctrl acts as it does in Windows.

Why does crouch work differently in one OS than in the other? Maybe I have a stray configuration file somewhere that differs? I seem to have two different q3config.cfg files, one used in Windows and the other in Ubuntu, so maybe that's it.

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

It's SDL's default behavior. The linux binary of ioUrT uses SDL (IIRC) but windows is still on the old non-SDL system.

It can change - to what you want - with the environmental variable SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1

e.g. start it with "SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1 ./ioUrt.." or wherever those variables go to remain constantly.

#3 User is offline   lebbra Icon

• Account: lebbra
  • Main tag: bw|

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

View Postwarhammer4k, on 29 October 2010 - 07:24 AM, said:

Lately I noticed that although I'm using the same key as "Crouch" when playing Urban Terror under both Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04, it acts differently under the two OS's.

I have Left Control and CapsLock both set as "crouch." In Windows, both act as momentary keys, e.g., I have to hold down Ctrl or Capslock to stay crouched. In Ubuntu, Capslock toggles crouch instead, while Ctrl acts as it does in Windows.

Why does crouch work differently in one OS than in the other? Maybe I have a stray configuration file somewhere that differs? I seem to have two different q3config.cfg files, one used in Windows and the other in Ubuntu, so maybe that's it.

I guess it depends from how your SO deal the key. I use ubuntu and wine and starting from wine or from ubuntu, my crouch key (Z) always act as momentary.
aka Dead f.S. - aka |CoN|-=V0l3ur=-, Playing UrT from 2001 - RedCap bot Developer

[img]http://www.dead.it/UrT/logop.png[/img]

#4 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

Wine will not use SDL from linux if the win binary doesn't need it.

#5 User is offline   warhammer4k Icon

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

Well what is the deal with the Escape key? I use a program called Easystroke to program some of my mouse buttons as various keystrokes. While some of them work - for instance, the right aux button generates a "z" keypress - some don't. I have the left aux button set to generate an "esc" keypress, but it doesn't work in Urban Terror.

It does work in other programs. For example, if I open a file dialog in gedit, I can press the left aux button and the dialog goes away, same as if I pressed the Esc key on the keyboard.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Scan Icon

• Account: scan

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

View Postlebbra, on 29 October 2010 - 07:46 AM, said:

I guess it depends from how your SO deal the key. I use ubuntu and wine and starting from wine or from ubuntu, my crouch key (Z) always act as momentary.

Why the fu*k would you use wine with urt?

#7 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:31 PM

Ikalizer?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942