Urban Terror Forums: How many up for another community challenge? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many up for another community challenge? Rate Topic: -----

Gauging interest for another mapping challenge

#42 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:15 AM

I'm getting the .map file as what looks like a text document. No idea what to do with that at this stage... giz a hint or offer a .pk3 with the .map file plz

#44 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

k, ty. No I normally follow the link [left click]

yeah got it looks fine. I dont have the skip texture, can you post it here.

I have gone mainly by trial and error [mostly error] as I learn to map and haven't read any tutorials start to finish. I glance at them for inspiration or an idea and thats about it, looking at mapping makes me want to map and so I get distracted easily. I've seen you have a caulk wall around your map, this is what Im supposed to do too, lol? Does this stop leaks or is it for vis blocking, or both?

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 14 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

I think its a great template and should be used. With 4 door ways it makes for 'too many options', [middle be walled off?] I think we leave it and mappers to choose what they want to do with it. I'd like to see a version for jump maps too? deeper floors, taller roof, such as 512 x 512 x 512.

Then mappers can choose to submit a combat or jump map.

[edit] theme, should be set by each mapper? Santas workshop or box factory? :laugh:

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 14 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

#47 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:34 AM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 14 November 2010 - 10:40 AM, said:

I'm not saying this is like the best template ever but it's the only one we have at the moment I was hoping someone else would make a better one.

I've rebuilt it with the following considerations:

1) Default blocksize is 1024. I rebuilt the template to follow the automatic vis/node divisions so each section is identical from a vis/node standpoint. As such, the template has been moved and resized. It is now slightly smaller.

2) I redid the hallways to follow the blocksize but also to provide a simple way to join them all. All that is needed to join each hallway is proper alignment and then delete 4 brushes (2 detail, 2 structural). Also, the previous version hallways did not allow for good hinting so this has been fixed.

3) Although the current ceiling height matches that of the hallways, I increased the structural brush height to 1024. Again, this follows the blocksize and provides immediate flexibility for mappers to change the interior size.

4) There are hint brushes for each hallway turn. I used the hint shader only since not everyone has the skip shader.

Suggestions for competition:

1) Entry maps must be able to interface with another entry map without leaks, detail brush gaps, or brush overlap. Essentially the structural length and width dimensions are off limits but the height is adjustable.

2) Additional structural and hint brushes for vis blocking within the entry map are allowed but not required.

REMEMBER: When joining, use texture lock SHIFT-T before you move anything to preserve the original texture alignments put in place by the mapper.

competition template - version 5

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by mindriot: 16 November 2010 - 12:43 AM

#49 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 15 November 2010 - 09:09 AM, said:

EDIT - I just noticed there's hint poking out through the structural.

I've edited version 5 the hint is now inside the structural walls.

This edit actually breaks the hinting and vis blocking. I'll explain why later. Also, there is no harm in having hint brushes move through structural brushes. In version 5, the hint brushes are in that position because when you join the templates it sets up proper hinting.

This post has been edited by mindriot: 15 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

#50 User is offline   pss9 Icon

• Account: pss9

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

In mindriot version the hint brush was touching the structural corner.
With your version is touching detail brushes, not structural.
Some ilustrations
Posted Image
Posted Image

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942