Urban Terror Forums: How many up for another community challenge? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many up for another community challenge? Rate Topic: -----

Gauging interest for another mapping challenge

#11 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sure, every time after Nov 30 works fine.

#12 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

View PostRylius, on 04 November 2010 - 04:10 PM, said:

Sure, every time after Nov 30 works fine.

Im in, sooner would be good. I havent speed mapped since I first started mapping. Still recovering from not knowing what the hell I was doing [mid last year?] Looks like a bit of talk, Ill offer something to kick it off and motivate

I suggest an out doors theme like a park or forest, large open area. Include a few conditions, if you may meet all or a few of the conditions, may effect judges decision. I have listed a few basic mapping principles that learners should master. Can someone else offer something more challenging to the list.

Suggested guide lines;
'playable map, includes spawns at least for 2 players ffa'
'include a large open area, which your own computer is capable of consistent 125fps, screen shot required'
'include one model'
'include light emitting sky texture or skybox'
'include a trench'
'include a rock/boulder'

more people throw some ideas out

edit; I want to rebuild my first released map, ut4_mincer :) I didnt even use caulk, lol

'include caulk'

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 05 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

#13 User is offline   Picola Icon

• Account: picola
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:48 PM

View PostSneaks, on 05 November 2010 - 10:07 AM, said:

'include a large open area, which your own computer is capable of consistent 125fps, screen shot required'

My computer isn't actually capable of 125fps, how's that gonna work??
we make your maps so you dont have to.

#14 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

View PostPicola, on 05 November 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

A good point, a hard FPS target on any given computer is arbitrary and artifically limiting to those with lower-end systems.

The way this was handled last time was just to say 'it should run well'. Since everyone who participated was also a judge, anyone was free to not vote for a map that ran poorly. As long as that's still cool with the majority, I would expect to run things pretty much the same way

#15 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

View PostPicola, on 05 November 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

Just dont fulfill that point... Im sure people will still hold your map in regards to what you achieved, not what you didnt achieve

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

View PostSneaks, on 07 November 2010 - 09:11 AM, said:

Just dont fulfill that point... Im sure people will still hold your map in regards to what you achieved, not what you didnt achieve

Also, Im mapping on a laptop so Im very limited with performance, but its the yard stick for me determining if it 'runs well' if I can get at least 125 at most points of the map on an empty LAN server. But I think to not aim for the highest standards each is capable of is aiming too low

edit; what fps can you get in a map that is a single room, one big room/small room?

This post has been edited by Sneaks: 07 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

#17 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

this 125fps is a joke all mappers with weak systems are limited and will be in an massive disadvantage.

It's better to use /r_speeds 1 for this case NuLl recommands an surface count maximum of 3000.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#18 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

how is it a massive disadvantage if no one cares if you can get 125fps... and no not a massive joke, I see it as still perfectly valid, so flame me again

For me, I listed minimum criteria I aim for when mapping, things I needed to learn when I started out, which got something up for discussion. Ive never looked at /r_speeds 1, so Ill start and try that. I learned something else, ty

In the spirit of getting a project started, I propose a stair building project. Since criteria is unpopular; If you want to build just a single step or go all out esher city of stairs, the choice is yours. Im starting this week end, in the meantime I'll be photographing outdoor stairs for inspiration.

#19 User is offline   Diggs Icon

•   verified donator   
  • Account: diggs

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

In the interest of creating a bit of motivation and enthusiasm I would be interested in adding some financial incentive. I'm assuming what you mean by a stair project would end up as a complete polished map ready for game play. I would be all for donating $100 to the competition as a grand prize or maybe $75 for the winner and $25 for the runner up. You guys decide. I am having problems figuring out payment logistics. Not everyone has a PayPal sellers account. Western Union is not well represented in many countries. It's not like I can send a personal check across the world and I'm not sure how bank checks from one country are handled in another (my international banking skills are a bit rusty I'm afraid). If someone figures out the logistics of awarding a cash prize, I am in for the donation.

This post has been edited by Diggs: 09 November 2010 - 01:40 AM

続けてゲーム

#20 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:49 AM

wow, that put some pressure on.

To clarify;
These are usually speed maps that are complete in 9 days, by a variety for people at different skill levels.

The map should be playable at the of 9 days, so needs spawn points.
To add to playability it should include support for ctf and ts game modes.
The map should include stairs, interesting use of stairs recommended.
Map made best as possible with in a 9 day period, and explain what you would add/modify to your map to polish/improve if you win.

This weekend start, suitable Diggs?

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942