• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A new era of Urban Terror Rate Topic: ****- 13 Votes

#11 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

I'll keep it short and sweet before I go to bed, GJ frozensand!

#12 User is offline   FuN Icon

• Account: fun

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

What a surprise! Posted Image

Sounds good. Good job!

I just hope Mac OS X version will be available at the same time as the Windows binaries.
"An apple a day keeps The Doctor away. That's why bananas are so good."
FuN aka Marsupilami

#13 User is offline   n1n Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: n1n

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:12 AM

oh HD is so out... well i have a hint for you for the next version, how about

Urban Terror 3D

no, srsly, HD? come on thats silly rediculous absurd all at once, who calls a game "high def."? somehow i dont get it and have a strange feeling other ppl wont take the name seriously, like "haha HD wuuut? does that game come in 1080p only or wut?".

but yeah, oh well, just "sooner rather than later".
<sXe>

#14 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:15 AM

OK so I'm really confused about several things.

The GPL stuff we’ve made public releases of (IoUrbanTerror 4.1 and IOBumpy) will still have their sources available, but there won’t be another Q3/GPL’d Engine Urban Terror release.

Well duh, of course the source to ioUrbanTerror 4.1 will still be available. It's not like you can retract the source code to that now. When you say "there won't be another GPL'd Engine Urban Terror release", what do you mean by that? In 4.1, the ioquake3 part (I assume this is what you mean by "engine") is of course open source and the game code is not. So what is the bottom line? Will the ioquake3 equivalent in 4.2 be open source or not? If history repeats itself, we know perfectly well that FS is not able to patch all of the server exploits themselves. The community has been doing this. Will all that change in 4.2? Will the community still be able to make minor adjustments in the ioquake "server engine" layer to solve serious issues, security expoits, and the like?

My other concern is this. UrT is currently picking up a lot of popularity in developing nations where good internet connections are available but many people still have older computers. I certainly hope that the system requirements for the new UrT won't be much higher than the current system requirements. 4.1 is already a big CPU hog, where it really does not need to be. I hope it won't be worse.

Team, could you please answer my question about the open-sourcedness of the "ioquake3-or-equivalent" in the new UrT. In particular I'd like to know about that for the server side.

This post has been edited by Rambetter: 04 November 2010 - 12:16 AM

#15 User is offline   FuN Icon

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:18 AM

If FS buy a q3 license they can do a fully-closed source game using original q3 source code, like LucasArt did with Jedi Academy for example.

They can modify the client and server source code without the obligation to release it. With ioQuake3 or GPL'd version of q3 they have to.
FuN aka Marsupilami

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Mickael9 Icon

• Account: mickael9

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:27 AM

So they're going to base their work on the original source code from Quake3 without ioQuake3's modifications ?
Seems like a a huge waste of time... unless they base their code on ioQuake3 (we can't really know if they do though...)

#17 User is offline   FuN Icon

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:46 AM

Yes but I'm not sure it's a waste of time. Because I think this will be hard to add non-gameplay major features into UrT with backwards compatibility with Q3.

And if they use ioQ3, the anticheat system will be inefficient because it should be opensource.

I just hope, that the new engine will not be base on SDL like ioQuake but in cocoa for mac, and gtk for linux, this will be a great performance improvement.
FuN aka Marsupilami

#18 User is offline   DensitY Icon

• Account: density

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:48 AM

View PostRambetter, on 04 November 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

OK so I'm really confused about several things.

Well duh, of course the source to ioUrbanTerror 4.1 will still be available. It's not like you can retract the source code to that now. When you say "there won't be another GPL'd Engine Urban Terror release", what do you mean by that? In 4.1, the ioquake3 part (I assume this is what you mean by "engine") is of course open source and the game code is not. So what is the bottom line? Will the ioquake3 equivalent in 4.2 be open source or not? If history repeats itself, we know perfectly well that FS is not able to patch all of the server exploits themselves. The community has been doing this. Will all that change in 4.2? Will the community still be able to make minor adjustments in the ioquake "server engine" layer to solve serious issues, security expoits, and the like?

My other concern is this. UrT is currently picking up a lot of popularity in developing nations where good internet connections are available but many people still have older computers. I certainly hope that the system requirements for the new UrT won't be much higher than the current system requirements. 4.1 is already a big CPU hog, where it really does not need to be. I hope it won't be worse.

Team, could you please answer my question about the open-sourcedness of the "ioquake3-or-equivalent" in the new UrT. In particular I'd like to know about that for the server side.

well from what I understand from the post

- 4.2/HD will be based on the original q3 engine code, but have implemented the features 27 implemented in his ioquake3bumpy client and other goodies that the team have dreamed up.
- ioUrbanTerror will be left as is and will not be updated for 4.2/HD. its possible it won't work at all with 4.2 due to to FS being able to implement features that might otherwise break backwards support now.
- The new client won't be open source, the reason would be most likely due to the Passport system.

#19 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:55 AM

Will UrT HD alter the 4.1 physics? will the speed and gameplay be modified?

will it work on my athlon 64 3000+ 128mb video onboard :sad: ?

about the passport..., will be any kind of restriction or requirement to servers got it enabled?

I think this are good news... at least knowing when it'll be out. Thanks FS
GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#20 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

View PostDensitY, on 04 November 2010 - 12:48 AM, said:

well from what I understand from the post

- 4.2/HD will be based on the original q3 engine code, but have implemented the features 27 implemented in his ioquake3bumpy client and other goodies that the team have dreamed up.
- ioUrbanTerror will be left as is and will not be updated for 4.2/HD. its possible it won't work at all with 4.2 due to to FS being able to implement features that might otherwise break backwards support now.
- The new client won't be open source, the reason would be most likely due to the Passport system.

Could I please ask that we engineer the game so that the server can run on ioquake3? I think for the community to have some access to server source code is extremely important.

Can we base the server on ioquake3 since it does not need the [closed source] anticheat features in it? The server only needs the auth system, which can very well be open sourced. Then we can open source that part of the game? I say just base the server code on ioquake3 (the latest and greatest, 1.36 or newer) with open source mods to support the differences that UrT HD has (for example the server-side auth system and any other protocol changes).

Also, as far as the anticheat and stuff, will the client work on the following systems:

1. Windows
2. Mac
3. Linux
4. FreeBSD

If the answer is "no" to any of the above I will be very sad.

Um, one last thing. If the dev team needs my help with the ioquake3 server code w/ changes made to support anticheat, or if they need help to get anticheat to run on the above systems, then I would like to offer my help. I have done extensive changes to the ioquake3 server stuff already (especially getchallenge, connect, and auth stuff) so I am pretty experienced in it. I also am a programmer for a game company by profession.

This post has been edited by Rambetter: 04 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

• (49 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942