• Account: fruk
  • Main tag: <GD>

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:04 AM

I'm looking forward to GTV HD.

#22 User is offline   Mercury Icon

• Account: mercury

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:11 AM

View Postmitsubishi, on 03 November 2010 - 10:59 PM, said:

There's no de facto restriction to that now provided the feature is in GPL. This translates to you want to release features out of the GPL or the person that wrote it is confused.

IIRC, it was stated some time back that id allowed SID/FS to keep the mod source closed with a GPL engine so long as the mod remained compatible with idQ3. As the team has apparently acquired a Q3 engine license now, that limitation no longer applies. The team is free to break compatibility with idQ3 while keeping the mod code closed-source and introducing a closed-source engine based on Q3 1.32b.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, the UrT team has provided me with so many years of enjoyment that I dearly wish to see them prosper. On the other hand, it looks to me as if portability and open source code may be sacrificed (unless they come up with an id-like plan to eventually release the code to the public...). I am particularly concerned about the possible loss of the Quake 3 Virtual Machine: with the rise of the "cloud" and ARM/non-x86 processors, allowing the QVM technology to fall by the wayside may not be the wisest move, even if Linux and Mac (x86) compatibility is retained.

Will the game be available out of Windows?

Will it require a fee?

What do you try to accomplish with this?

I too would like to know the answer to these questions.

#23 User is offline   kabam101 Icon

• Account: kabam101
  • Main tag: (BNC)

Posted 04 November 2010 - 01:11 AM

Does this make maps uthd_eagle?

Can't wait :biggrin:

#24 User is offline   Imp Icon

• Account: imp

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:17 AM

So... Will it still work on my crappy computer? One thing I love about UrT is that you don't need a great computer or graphics card to play it.

#25 User is offline   Chirish Icon

• Account: chirish

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:38 AM

DON'T GET RID OF THE SR8 IT IS MY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!
rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Imp Icon

• Account: imp

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:52 AM

As far as I know the FR-F1 is the exact same, just looks different. Also, nice signature.

#27 User is offline   Chirish Icon

• Account: chirish

Posted 04 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

Well, I hope what you say is right.

... and don't worry I'll change it eventually.
rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr (nor)rawr (nor) rawr (nor) rawr

#28 User is offline   malkariss Icon

• Account: malkariss

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:07 AM

Hey Dev's, I'm fairly confident that URTHD will run on MAC OS and and everything else, but, for the sake of seeing it coming from you so there is no doubt, please tell us this is true =D

#29 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

OK here is an email that I just wrote to the ioquake3 mailing list:

=================

Ahh, this is really terrible news. If all parts of the server code are closed source, it means that:

1. The community won't be able to fix exploits in the server code. Frozen Sand does not seem to have their bleep together when it comes to fixing server exploits. The community has taken over this job because of Frozen Sand's lack of interest in this department.

2. The community won't be able to add "hooks" into the server code for additional features such as custom distributed ban lists (where each game server communicates with a "ban server"). There are countless other such features that people have worked on. All of this work will go to waste if we can't use our code for the new Urban Terror. Many hours have been spent writing such code to help us administer our servers.

3. If they are using Q3 1.32b for the server, it means that they won't have all the latest fixes that were made in ioquake3. It's like starting all over again. I bet people will be able to crash the servers the first week the new game comes out by trying old exploits, or doing diffs between old ioquake3 and new ioquake3.

4. Without the source for the server engine, we have to rely on Frozen Sand to compile the server code for each system that servers typically run on. For example FreeBSD 6, FreeBSD 7, FreeBSD 8, Linux, Windows, OpenBSD, MacOSX, multiply that by different architectures and so on and so forth. Well I can say, I expect to _not_ be able to run UrT servers on my FreeBSD servers any longer, unless it's under Linux emulation.

Is it time for me to find a new hobby? It _really_ sounds like this game is going to bleep with their proposed plans. Are there any other cool games like Urban Terror that are leaning more in the open source direction?

- Rambetter

=====================

My serious constructive suggestion to the devs. Use ioquake3 for the server engine, hack it until it's compatible with your client. Release all source code for the server engine (but not the game code).

This post has been edited by Rambetter: 04 November 2010 - 06:40 AM

#30 User is offline   mugumbo Icon

• Account: mugumbo

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:07 AM

I am rather ignorant and excited...I hope this proves fruitful.
Digdug

• (49 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942