Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Another Low FPS Thread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   commanderpain Icon

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Ok, I'm a linux noob and just switched over after I corrupted by hard drive. I downloaded and extracted UT and have it all running fine. The problem is the FPS is now as low as 20-25fps while I was able to run at 80-90+ on the same machine on windows. I have pursed all the low FPS threads on here and know my driver is up to date. From what I can tell the driver just sucks and does not work right. I have no idea why this computer would run UT just fine on Windows and suck hard on Ubuntu

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a ThinkPad T-60 with a Centrino Duo 1.83 Ghz processor with 3 GB RAM and a 64 MB ATI graphics chip (I forget the exact model number, 9600 or something like that).

Please help me fix this graphics card issue, I want my UT back!

#2 User is offline   thewonderboy Icon

• Account: thewonderboy

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

LOL AT VIDEOCARD :laugh:

first thing that comes in my mind is that are you running right bit version ? I mean 64x and 86x. I have heard problems like that when people accidentaly run wrong version.

See the lovely Mrs. Search Function?
She wants to make out with you.
~OOM91

Jelly? Yes very jelly... in fact, I am * jam. No amount of sandwich spread can express my emotions.
~IIL_NODERUS

#3 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I'm guessing you're still running on the opensource ATI graphics driver, which is known to under-perform in Linux gaming.

You could try to dig up an old FGLRX driver (9.2) which should work with your Radeon 9600 mobility (look into ATI legacy drivers). But the old FGLRX drivers will (most likely) not work with the composite desktop stuff (or it might work but unstable), it might not even work with the new Xorg architecture.

Last time i used any Radeon 9x00 family product with Linux gaming was back in 2005. No idea how the current state of support is for such deprecated hardware with Linux.

#4 User is offline   commanderpain Icon

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

How would I go about finding and installing those old drivers?

Lol, I should probably just get a new computer, but that's the point of running linux, making my laptop last 6 or 7 years instead of 5!

Its a shame too, I had a completely dope laptop at my last job (ThinkPad T-410s, i5 2.54 quadcore, 64 win 7, 8 gig RAM, 512 MB graphics, 128 GB solid state HD) but they took it away from me when I quit! Oh well, I better just buck up and buy a new one...

#5 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:58 PM

Which Ubuntu version are you using atm?

Also, if you could, try to post your "lspci" and "glxinfo | grep render"* output here (run those commands in Terminal).

* = You might need to issue the command "sudo apt-get install mesa-utils" first to have access to glxinfo command.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

side-topic: if you use aptitude instead of apt-get then on 'remove' it also removes its dependencies. apt-get will leave them. (unless one merged those capabilities lately)

#7 User is offline   Silver Swords Icon

• Account: silverswords

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

may want to try disabling "visual effects"

right click on desktop, "change desktop background", and on "visual effects" tab, set at "None"
Smiles open many doors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942