Tips? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator
  • Account: robdistorted

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:18 AM

View PostYuri, on 08 February 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Here are some tips from my side.

1. Setup a server and play some maps like they where some jumpmaps.
2. Make breaks. Let your eyes and brain rest some minutes.
Eat an apple for energy or look outside the window.
3. Play against people who are slightly better than you. This helps a lot.
4. Play stealth games like thief/deus ex to get a feeling for stealth (helped me a lot)
5. Enthusiasm! Yes, it works!
6. Change your keylayout (Theres already a thread for this called WASD but happens)
7. Analyze the maps you play a lot on.

BTW i prefer magenta as crosshair colour. It's easy visible. (haven't seen a map that has magenta on it).

Nice tips, taking a rest once in a while can really improve your game, gives you brain time to rest a bit. thanks for the suggestions, i am getting better i think.

A short clip while playing against my bro.

#22 User is offline   I -Q- I Icon

• Account: iqi

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

View Postrobdistorted, on 01 February 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hi all, i am in need of some help with UrT

Is there any tips people can give me, or a website that has some that can help me out?

hi :)

I'm sure in one thing only .. time will do the job :wink:

jsut feel free to explore and remember "fun over realism" :biggrin:
best things in life are free ;)

#23 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

8. keep your fingernails short....
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#24 User is offline   thewonderboy Icon

• Account: thewonderboy

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:21 AM

i know this is old thread but, some things are realy just opinions. "Use lower sensitivy" "use dot" "use higher sensitivy" are all up to preference.

1, use sensitivy which feels as natural and non-resistantless is best way to go. When you feel mouse moves smoothly and accurately while still having much space to move your mouse on mouse pad is best way to go. "Natural" feeling is not a "value". You just feel it when you hit the right part of sensitivy bar.

2, use crosshair best for your use and with its properties. I had dot at start of alpha and my aim was horrible, dot was too small and simple, it disapeard from my vision when i was checking corners of my monitor. I use simple cross which will show you spread. Its not complicate but also its not too distracting for me.

3, 60 or 125 fps?
If you feel like few milliseconds better reaction time you gain from 125 fps and lowered gfx are essential then go for it. But if blury textures and plain looking enviroment dont look/feel enteraining and you dont enjoy it then you should put more gfx. Same for picmip. One more thing. 125 doesnt give you any double advantage, maybe slight (note, very small mostly if you have over 60 hz screen, but some have psycological effect, they dont play good if they dont enjoy, some might enjoy good gfx that run well)

You are living in the breakdown of urban terror. Things might change and you might learn new things before pros do, if some new movements are taken in the game.

Lol

- Do different things. Try new routes, new positions,
new strategies
why this sounds so dirty :brignin:

See the lovely Mrs. Search Function?
She wants to make out with you.
~OOM91

Jelly? Yes very jelly... in fact, I am * jam. No amount of sandwich spread can express my emotions.
~IIL_NODERUS

#25 User is offline   RobDistorted Icon

•   former FS member   
    Animator
  • Account: robdistorted

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

View Postthewonderboy, on 14 February 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

i know this is old thread but, some things are realy just opinions. "Use lower sensitivy" "use dot" "use higher sensitivy" are all up to preference.

1, use sensitivy which feels as natural and non-resistantless is best way to go. When you feel mouse moves smoothly and accurately while still having much space to move your mouse on mouse pad is best way to go. "Natural" feeling is not a "value". You just feel it when you hit the right part of sensitivy bar.

2, use crosshair best for your use and with its properties. I had dot at start of alpha and my aim was horrible, dot was too small and simple, it disapeard from my vision when i was checking corners of my monitor. I use simple cross which will show you spread. Its not complicate but also its not too distracting for me.

3, 60 or 125 fps?
If you feel like few milliseconds better reaction time you gain from 125 fps and lowered gfx are essential then go for it. But if blury textures and plain looking enviroment dont look/feel enteraining and you dont enjoy it then you should put more gfx. Same for picmip. One more thing. 125 doesnt give you any double advantage, maybe slight (note, very small mostly if you have over 60 hz screen, but some have psycological effect, they dont play good if they dont enjoy, some might enjoy good gfx that run well)

You are living in the breakdown of urban terror. Things might change and you might learn new things before pros do, if some new movements are taken in the game.

Lol
why this sounds so dirty :brignin:

LOL, that last bit is so funny, i hadn't thought of it as dirty till you said! tsk tsk tsk

About the sensitivity, i thought i was most comfortable with what i had originaly, but i think it was Hoi pointed out[if not Hoi then sorry for not remembering] that my movements were kinda jerky and not smooth at all. lowering my sensitivity meant that i needed to re-adjust how i played and it is taking time for me to get used to the new settings, but my movements are far more smooth now. - time will tell on this, but you are right in the long run, in sticking with what feels right, but what i started off with felt right, so i guess the first thing needed is to first recognise whether your movement is smooth or not, if you are accurate and can still manage to circle jump then no worries. But if your movement is not quitr as smooth then the best thing is to go and change thhose settings, then get re-acquainted with the game.

I have found the bug standard crosshair to be most eddective for me, just messed with the colours, might apply a bind to change the colour on the fly. sometimes i find changing the crosshair give me that "fresh" feeling, as if i am trying something new in the game. sounds strange but sometimes changing something small can breathe a breath of fresh air into a game. Can some one help me out with that bind though? :smile:

I play on a 60Hz monitor and personally i dont have an advantage when it comes to rendering those extra frames. but when recording i start with 125fps in game then set fraps to 60 as i want to get the best footage i can.

Yeah, i have found learning how to move really fun and i am looking forward to the jump mode! Just have to dedicate the time to the game.

lol, and for keeping your fingernails short, i see that can benefit your keyboard presses and your guitar playing, both are things i do lol. :laugh:

I just have to keep this whole thing fun and remember why i even play this game. Otherwise there is no point.

After learning the things i have learnt and put in the effort my game has improved, there is another video on the way that i have been thinking of. But that is for another day, for today is my birthday!

IS it right that i am only 24 and i feel so old? ... :laugh:

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

View Postrobdistorted, on 15 February 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

I have found the bug standard crosshair to be most eddective for me, just messed with the colours, might apply a bind to change the colour on the fly. sometimes i find changing the crosshair give me that "fresh" feeling, as if i am trying something new in the game. sounds strange but sometimes changing something small can breathe a breath of fresh air into a game. Can some one help me out with that bind though? :smile:

There's a thread on similar topic (see the last post); for colors, see here.

View Postrobdistorted, on 15 February 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

IS it right that i am only 24 and i feel so old? ... :laugh:

Sonny, you just wait till you turn 25. :biggrin:
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#27 User is offline   thewonderboy Icon

• Account: thewonderboy

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

im so smaaallll :sad: soon 17

Before you start jumping you should check do you have a ghosting keyboard, its pain in the ass learn something you cant do :wacko:

So go in game and press, foward+left+space/jump. If your character dont jump you are in deep shit.

So ghosting disables you to do left circle/strafe but you dont notice it while doing strafe/circle to right. I learned to handle this in 3 months but unfortunately i will never learn level 9 strafe jump :sad:

You have to sync your index and thumb if you try to jump with ghosting. Many people having ghosting instead learned to halfbeat but halfbeat is not as handy (and i dont know does it work in urban terror)

So just before you press jump to perform circle/strafe to left you snap left button and immedaly do switch between jump and left button. But now, you have to push left again immedaly.

Effect to the speed is 20 quake units (urban terror uses quake units for speed i think ?) but percentage to fail increases by like 20%

But how do i wall jump ?

I think part of halfbeat excists in urban terror since i can use circle to right side to perform BOTH wall jump left and right. It has no effect to perfomance of walljump.

I have tried to use normal keyboard but after i learned to deal with this i can not do any normal strafe jump to left lol :tongue: it happens automaticly (finger switch). Ghosting is the limit of your keyboard to give enough imput i think :sleep:

Also B2R In quake 3 is very hard for me (long jump over huge gap from bridge to railgun)

So yeah, make sure you dont have ghosting keyboard :smile:

This post has been edited by thewonderboy: 16 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

See the lovely Mrs. Search Function?
She wants to make out with you.
~OOM91

Jelly? Yes very jelly... in fact, I am * jam. No amount of sandwich spread can express my emotions.
~IIL_NODERUS

#28 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:04 PM

well wonderboy considering your q3 knowledge you could be 100 years old, a wise old man sort of... level 9 strafe jump ?..quake 3 units ... ? ..ghosting keyboard ?... i feel so noobish right now... not a bad feeling actually ...

mouse accel is a huge decision for your gameplay ... especially on mac it is .. (sry if i brought something up that's been talked about before, didn'r read the whole thread)

karl

(fingernails need to be cut for a clean, save and healthy gaming experience and maybe paint your fingernails, little urt logos? ... skulls? ... and personally i need to wear a wig while playing urt... otherwise it doesn't feel right...)

by the way ... people under 35 aren't allowed to feel old... that's our privilege .. you should feel too young ...

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 17 February 2011 - 02:37 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#29 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:59 PM

wait til you hit 40.. it's all downhill from there..

#30 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

View PostKarlMariaSeeberg, on 16 February 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

and personally i need to wear a wig while playing urt... otherwise i doesn't feel right...

omg :laugh:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942