• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Psychology behind the player. Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#71 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

I got a new topic.

Here's a situation: There's a player who came in a forum and asked if he's the only one in his case. When he jumps (in jumping maps, etc), he jumps better when he's not concentrated than if he's concentrated (he's concentrated when he recors a demo, working on a jump, etc). He says that he could work on a jump for a long time and then achieve it when he's talking to a friend on Ts3.
My friend thinks that he plays better when it's natural instead of playing very concentrated.
Some of the people that answered him told that they have the same problem when they're fragging.

"concentrated" means that you're focused on what you're doing. Same meaning as in real life.

I know it might depends on the situation (is it a PCW, Competition, public server, etc).

What do you think about it guys?

I think that we play in a better way when we're concentrated. I don't know if it depends on who you are. I'm thinking about it.

I agree with you Mogul for what you said about the book.

Playing to anticipate the other player seems like a very risky play-style to me,with a high reward though.Care to say more about it?

Yes it can be very risky. Mostly when you're dead and you tell your mate. If you're wrong, it's a big slap on your face because it's your fault if he dies. :D But I usually calculate my toughts (find a "why am i making that supposition", etc).

This post has been edited by Brainie: 21 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#72 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

i think it's not about beeing "not concentrated" if not about beeing "relaxed"

Jumping does not necessarily requieres to "stay focused", so if you jump thinking about naked girls you will may jump better because thinking on other thing also implies beeing "relaxed".

If you try to play a scrim thinking about girls instead of where your team8 are, where the flag carrier goes, atack timing, noise, and aiming on head you will play worse.

If you drink a 2 glasses of beer before playing you will stay focused and relaxed, you will play better, if you drink 4 bottles of beer you will lose your concentration and play worse, works for me, works for you... :laugh: drink beer hahaha

This post has been edited by BRAVO: 04 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#73 User is offline   texmex Icon

• Account: texmex

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

First of all, I love this topic and I appreciate Brainies ambition to make some deeper sense of the gameplay. Got me inspired to play some more (and to read some Sun Tzu).

Just an idea here, since you Brainie seem to be quite keen on conducting observations. Since I got a soft spot for information design I was pondering: would it be possible to get useful data out from the UrT servers? I'm thinking data to help plot movements similar to what is shown here,

Posted Image

but you could come up with a whole other kinds of stats… spots where most shots has occured for instance. Or most deaths. Or you name it!

#74 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

How big is the pool of data you got?
is it one game, one hour or whatever?

Definitely a very interesting tracking tool you built there
Can you make that available somehow?
It seems really nice for getting some statistics from clanwars

#75 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

Hum... I think it depends of what kind of data you want. Much common spots? Much used paths to get to somewhere? What's the most used reaction of players in front of a certain situation?
If it's about the map and you need to ask the Urt server, then i don't know tbh. I know that there's no written log in the server that tells where has been the action and where has been the shoots, etc. The maximum you can get is to how many damage X player made on another player (need confirmation about that).
So I think you'll have to use the humain eyes for that, or an external software that would analyse what's in the screen (better way to do it imo).

Actually if you want to know the common spots of a map or where it would be shooting a lot, it's pretty easy to know it. I mean, common paths are obvious to see and be aware of.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#76 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Writting a document about all this branch. I write it in french first and then translate it to english. It will talk about some specific elements in the game:
  • Strategies in the maps, prepared or not.
  • The adaptation in game (self-adaptation to the opponent).
  • Different playing styles (offensive, deffenive, the balanced way to play as it's been said in the first pages).

Its goal is mainly to describe the actual status of the game for a player but also for the real psychologic way.

I've seen an interesting topic somewhere. The guy asked how to "brain" in game. What's your solution?

The actual topics are:

And more (who knows?).

So as we can see it goes more far than simply making strats and decide where goes our fabulous mate Brian. It has a touch with the behavior of someone (in his consciencious also) and more. At the start I didn't really find any satisfacting content or information for me but I involved in it and I discovered go things and it's enjoyable. I hope this thread will help other people in the same case. We're still searching.

This post has been edited by Brainie: 20 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

#77 User is offline   mogul Icon

• Account: mogul
  • Main tag: |<3|

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

That certainly sound helpful Brainie

If you would like a proofreader for the English translation,feel free to pm me

#78 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

http://forums.psycho...wforum.php?f=19

http://forums.psycho...wforum.php?f=18

or http://forums.psycho...ewforum.php?f=3

I think we've made the point. I decided to make some of our threads open to the public since we're very inactive and probably won't come back on the competition scene.

I can give up now, I made my time ^^ . I hope it will help some of you with your teams/leaders (it's french/english combined sorry we were bilingual o/). Urban Terror has inherited of the mental potentials of Quake3.

Brainie.

P.S: http://www.psycholog.../Conversations/ If you want to know what should be a real competitive team, take a look at convo-e6-aesir.txt and convo-aesir.txt . I've always managed my team in this direction: having a very soft image for the team, serious in playing with competitive spirit, having fun with the mates (but not too much else it would become a bunch of big friends as we did).

This post has been edited by Brainie: 17 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

#79 User is offline   texmex Icon

• Account: texmex

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

On the topic of data plotting it turns out that someone actually tried it!

#80 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

up! Anybody has some news about this thread? Do you still think the mental plays a big part in the game? :)

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942