• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Psychology behind the player. Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#11 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:42 AM

Some notes on this:
1. People expect you to behave in a balanced way. Such that you will either be playing defensive, or play offensive. You'll either be rushing, or hanging back. The number one way you confuse people is by being erratic, and as random as possible.
2. Dominating is a big part of urban terror, because of its dynamic health system. If you shoot someone, and they miss you, they're immediately placed in a defensive position, and usually try to run or hide. You can counter act this by chasing someone when they hit you, or setting up traps.
3. Humans are extremely well at deducing things. For instance, we can deduce that if a player is running one way, he will continue running that way or exit the direct route through one of several 'exits' from that route. Rarely will players double back, unless (oddly enough) they're a newer player. (Seems weird, but think about it.)
4. All people are naturally indecisive when it comes to stressful situations. Although the average player wont get stressed enough in a normal first person shooter game to allow for manipulation of decisions, you still can get close. Pressure players to move to guns there less familiar with. If you get a streak of kills in which the player has no chance to get hits, they will probably switch weapons (I believe its something like 70% of the time). Kills in which you knife someone, or get a "dishonorable kill" can also prompt this behavior
5. Position is everything. IMHO position is the most neglected thing in Urban Terror. If your down low, your in a bad position, if your up high your in a good one. Use position to help you. Stay up and you'll do better. (This is by far the basics of position.)

The former was by no means a professional look on gaming, but rather my personal and professional experience with UrT, Cod, Halo, and other first person shooters. Theres a lot of good articles out there on game psychology, finding the right one will be a bit tough. You can start with (http://www.psychologyofgames.com/) or google scholar (http://scholar.googl...game+psychology). I've always wanted to do a study on urban terror, and you may have inspired me to do one ;)

-B1
B1naryTh1ef
:3

#12 User is offline   stewiegriffin Icon

• Account: stewiegriffin

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I am a player that always change from place, when i kill some one i go to other place. But its sometimes to easy yes, some players come back there where i kill them XD. i play UT for now almost 4 years, sho i can expect what players do. But whit 4 years experience its difficult for players to kill me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Hi aim Stewie-Griffin I kill you! :P Visit my server for i kill you
[img]http://cache.www.gam...E1B5_2E3226.png[/img]
[img]http://miniprofile.x...estroyer244.png[/img]

#13 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostAteamrocks, on 25 February 2011 - 07:42 AM, said:

Some notes on this:
1. People expect you to behave in a balanced way. Such that you will either be playing defensive, or play offensive. You'll either be rushing, or hanging back. The number one way you confuse people is by being erratic, and as random as possible

I knew it. I was always saying to myself "improvise more! Don't always do the same thing!" But it is very difficult to do it. To let away ourself's habits... And more difficult to do when you don't have the confiance that it will work. And you have to find what has to be changed. That's a very good point. Thank you. I'll work on it, try to look how it could work in the game.

2. Dominating is a big part of urban terror, because of its dynamic health system. If you shoot someone, and they miss you, they're immediately placed in a defensive position, and usually try to run or hide. You can counter act this by chasing someone when they hit you, or setting up traps.

Seems weird. But also a good point.

3. Humans are extremely well at deducing things. For instance, we can deduce that if a player is running one way, he will continue running that way or exit the direct route through one of several 'exits' from that route. Rarely will players double back, unless (oddly enough) they're a newer player. (Seems weird, but think about it.)

I might be wrong, but I think that newer players double back more because they don't really know Urban Terror's player's habits. So they worry about everything. And some of them wants to be sure of themself before trying to flank or go ahead on the line.

5. Position is everything. IMHO position is the most neglected thing in Urban Terror. If your down low, your in a bad position, if your up high your in a good one. Use position to help you. Stay up and you'll do better. (This is by far the basics of position.)

What is IMHO position?

The former was by no means a professional look on gaming, but rather my personal and professional experience with UrT, Cod, Halo, and other first person shooters. Theres a lot of good articles out there on game psychology, finding the right one will be a bit tough. You can start with (http://www.psychologyofgames.com/) or google scholar (http://scholar.googl...game+psychology). I've always wanted to do a study on urban terror, and you may have inspired me to do one ;)

-B1

I'm happy that it gave you any inspiration! Thank you for your answers, they help me a lot!
Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

#14 User is offline   opium Icon

• Account: opium

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Hrm I already have about 80pages written for my potential thesis.
'psychological studies of FPS gamers'
more or less ive been studying reaction times, watching routes, habits, etc etc
more or less trying to apply a couple general principles to a larger mostly anonymous online community.
ill let you know how it goes.

#15 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion.

Opium, thats awesome, you'll have to publish it and show it off to us!

(Number 3) I was referring to the habit of players not knowing the map enough to be able to move around in an efficient way. Sometimes not knowing a map is okay. Anyone wanna team up on a project to map out player psychology in UrT?

-B1

B1naryTh1ef
:3

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

View Postopium, on 25 February 2011 - 11:28 PM, said:

Hrm I already have about 80pages written for my potential thesis.
'psychological studies of FPS gamers'
more or less ive been studying reaction times, watching routes, habits, etc etc
more or less trying to apply a couple general principles to a larger mostly anonymous online community.
ill let you know how it goes.

I would really love to read it. Show it to us when you'll publish it!

View PostAteamrocks, on 26 February 2011 - 01:44 AM, said:

Anyone wanna team up on a project to map out player psychology in UrT?

Why not? I'm your man!

This post has been edited by Eads: 26 February 2011 - 02:23 AM

#17 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

UP! :D

I'm working of some ideas to try in pcw and other matchs...

This post has been edited by Eads: 11 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

#19 User is offline   klabauterman Icon

• Account: klabauterman
  • Main tag: aI|

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Is Psychology a Science?

:wink:

Or maybe gametheory? Though player do not act necessarily rational
But often it is a simple math thing - no. of targets - line of fire - angle of movement - j/k I mean more bullets at the right time in the right place :laugh:

#20 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 11 March 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

All round player physiology is something that is rather new and most of the work done in that area relates more to how games rot young minds and turns them into homicidal maniacs.

This of course is based on biased research that includes subjects that are more or less predisposed to this kind of behavior and are drawn to violent games as a moth is to a flame. And of course the mainstream media is not helping matters at all.

I would love to see more research based on the player’s point of view with out the need to sensualize the results for the purpose of rebroadcast.

The one aspect I find interesting is how often a player of skill and who to use the environment to their advantage is often accused of cheating.

Well, I don't want to work on "what does the player in his real life". IMHO, I don't care about the player's life. I care about his mind in game and all he does in game. IRL isn't in my todo list.
That's why I'm a little bit in a bad position. It's not easy to find some informations about the field of my "search" (if we could call it like that...). Usually, I'll find something about IRL...

Me and a friend(Ateamrocks) are looking to found a little project in this field. We'd like to make more anylyses. We're currently looking for a "bank" of demos to watch, then we'll take some notes about it. Also, I'm looking for doing a little blog about it. If you have ideas, demos, or just want to work with us, you can tell me. My messagery box is open to you :-) .

- Eads.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942