• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Psychology behind the player. Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#22 User is offline   I -Q- I Icon

• Account: iqi

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

sry I would rather choose Frankie as my therapist then you :rolleyes:

but I must disagree about what I think was just a geenral opinion about players "motives"

I don't see this game as violent :blink: I dont look on any game as violent :wacko: I think game is game .. I believe everyone from anywhere understand when they hear the word what it means .. I never killed no1 lol .. I don't want to hit or kill no1 .. I don't even want to insult no1 ... ftw am I playing the game? :smile: .. it's bloody fun for me :laugh: .. I mean check the animation of players movements .. I don't know maybe I'm just thinking .. and I started with 4.0 so .. dunno what was the origin motives of first makers .. but I can say as I see it from my point of view it a fun on square and no1 is ingured during the process .. ffs must be why I like it so much .. you can make so many crazy things and no1 can get hurt ..

well we heard about frustration cause of lag .. "mouse illness" .. problems at work :biggrin:

just to make some parallel;

so football player if he is out of "terrain" want's to hit any round shape cause it reminds him or he has a real need to kick something with his leg .. understand?

this is so inoccent it's kinda silly for me to see intelegent ppl making a argument one one hand .. while on other, ppl are REALLY killing each others in RL, around the globe that never seen video game lol ... that's just to much to handle I guess :sleep:

I rest my case :biggrin:

p.s. "freaks" will always find excuse for being "freaks" (would use some other word but its to early .. see there you(I) go .. excuse :tongue: and I find my self as a good guy .. imagine how far can bad guy go :wink: )

This post has been edited by I -Q- I: 12 March 2011 - 07:30 AM

best things in life are free ;)

#23 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 12 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Not all people will see FPS games the same. To some it's just a game, others get involved to the degree they're "living" the game.
Over the years I've seen a few people that were into the game to the degree they took situations on servers and their clan forums more seriously then real life problems.

Some people just don't know where to draw the line and how to separate their gaming life from their real life.
On several occasions we had a chance to see authorities blacklisting certain games cause they were considered a contributing factor in a crime commit by those mentally unstable people.

I don't think those games made them go out and shoot people but did they in a way trigger it, or maybe they helped the individual lose his/hers perspective of what's real and what's a game, perhaps.

Those people were unstable before they played and the game was just one of the things that drove them over the edge. If we took a look at the music they listened to, or movies they watched in the last 2 years I'm sure we'd find more things to blame.

My point is, every person is different. Trying to predict how someone will behave during the game can only be applied to what strategy will he use. Trying to understand how players emotional state will affect his game without being his therapist is nearly impossible.

#24 User is offline   Brainie Icon

• Account: brainie
  • Main tag: psyp.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 12 March 2011 - 01:02 AM, said:

Well I don’t see how you can consolidate the player physiology if you don’t weight who they are in real life.

Oh, I made a big mistake. Sure, there is a lot of things that we could find in that case. But, I don't really know if it could help me a lot in game. In game, I don't have enough possibilities to know about the player's life. So I keep a look about what he does in game.

View PostFrankie V, on 12 March 2011 - 01:02 AM, said:

How would you compare say a player who is a Navy Seal against a 16 year old that kicks his butt?

In Urt, everyone starts at the same level. Age isn't an excuse. The age won't represent how much good is a player. But, the number of years he had played in Urt could make the difference.
Yes, maybe a man who is 30 and plays Urt could use his head more "intelligently" than a kid. But if the age is really an excuse, competitions and leagues should put their players in age categories. Not in what we call "division" (Urban Zone as example...).
Also, it could be very hard to know something about my opponent's life. I won't ask him about his life during the game. But, ragers, ragequit, idiot acts... these terms could mean something about his real life.

Watch out guys. We're leaving the main subject. Keep staying on please.

This post has been edited by Eads: 13 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

Psychologic People - Team Canada - Psychology in Urban Terror
ClanBase Writer and Referee - Ask me if issues

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:12 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 12 March 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

Ah ok I see your more interested in how physiology can be used as a tactic with in the environment rather then what the player brings to the game.

Obviously I would be more interested in who is playing the game but better left for a different topic.

Assuming what is meant is taking action with in the game environment that is secondary to cause and effect for the purpose of an advantage there are a lot of things that one can do usually seen by the results if you can read between the lines.

I would have to say the first question that needs to be answered is the current equipment balanced to the point that it does require a level of skill to be successfully leverage against the power of any given weapon verses a new player who has some level of success yet does not have the necessary level of experience to win the game?

If the answer is yes then the physiological effect is something we see everyday hidden in requests to nerf down the power of a weapon based on individual preferences so in most cases it could be a factor of being “psyched out” by a player with better skills that goes beyond what they load out with rather what is balanced and what is not.

Physiology wise I would say the best advice so far is to be unpredictable, don’t like what you see change the perspective, and the rest will come along naturally and you get your game face on.

Hum... You lost my mind when you talked about "physilogy". Where is the link between "psychology" and "physiology"?

Wanting to know about who is playing the game. That's very intersteting but very hard to do. I mean, it is very difficult to know a part of you're opponent's life while (or before, after) you play. If you can, tell me how ;-) .

"Physiology wise" Can you give me a deffinition of it? I'm french, my english isn't enough completed.

"I would say the best advice so far is to be unpredictable, don’t like what you see change the perspective, and the rest will come along naturally and you get your game face on."
Very nice advice. Hard to do, but very helpful. Human is very good at deducting things. If you try to trick the way he makes deductions, then you made a big step in the game!

I asked the Urt french community about that kind of domain in Urban. Someone said, "Urban Terror is 99% of skill and 1% of brain". Do you agree with that? Personnaly, I dont. But I don't really know how to answer. But, don't take the numbers as real. He was meaning that there's more skill used in urt than brainnage (brain? brainnage? Don't know how to say it).

Thanks guys.

#28 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:10 AM

Lulz. Now I understand better!

#29 User is offline   ObScUrE Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: obscure

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

I asked the Urt french community about that kind of domain in Urban. Someone said, "Urban Terror is 99% of skill and 1% of brain". Do you agree with that? Personnaly, I dont. But I don't really know how to answer. But, don't take the numbers as real. He was meaning that there's more skill used in urt than brainnage (brain? brainnage? Don't know how to say it).

Thanks guys.

A player with only 1% of brain usage will have no skill. :rolleyes:

1. Know your enemy and his mood.
- When a player wins some rounds he will start to do funky things like no scopes or risky rushes and move in very random ways.
- When a player has lost some rounds he will get angry and start to move in straight ways and gets very predictable.

Now you can start to control your own feelings or change the mood of your enemy's, knife'em. :-)

2. Be unpredictable but how?
- Don't let them hear you, try to get behind the enemy's view field.
- Avoid the usual ways, move trough windows and surprise them, use circle jumps & walljumps to get faster trough the map without wasting stamina on sprinting.

BenQ-XL2420T|Filco-Ninja-TKL-MXRed|Logitech-G403|AKG-K70201000010 01101100 01110101 01110100 01010010 01100001 01110101 00100100 01100011 01101000~The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.~

#30 User is offline   Brainie Icon

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:44 PM

View PostObScUrE, on 13 March 2011 - 09:31 AM, said:

A player with only 1% of brain usage will have no skill. :rolleyes:

1. Know your enemy and his mood.
- When a player wins some rounds he will start to do funky things like no scopes or risky rushes and move in very random ways.
- When a player has lost some rounds he will get angry and start to move in straight ways and gets very predictable.

Now you can start to control your own feelings or change the mood of your enemy's, knife'em. :-)

2. Be unpredictable but how?
- Don't let them hear you, try to get behind the enemy's view field.
- Avoid the usual ways, move trough windows and surprise them, use circle jumps & walljumps to get faster trough the map without wasting stamina on sprinting.

Don't take the numbers as real... We wanted to say that Urt requests more skill than brain.

I like what you said about number 1 and 2. Do you use this advices? I was working on it (I do them, but not exactly). I'll try what you said.

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942