• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Urban Terror for Ubuntu Rate Topic: -----

It would be great to see urban terror in the Ubuntu Software Center

#1 User is offline   pemibo Icon

• Account: pemibo

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:58 PM

Hello,
it would be really great to see Urban Terror in the Ubuntu Software Center by default.
I know that it is available through getdeb.net but for many Ubuntu newbies this could be a great help. Maybe you could contact Canonical to manage this. I'm sure Urban Terror could gain a lot of awareness in that way.

Sorry for my bad english ;)

#2 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Since Urban Terror is neither open source nor allows redistribution, this won't happen.

#3 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

View PostRylius, on 28 March 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

Since Urban Terror is neither open source nor allows redistribution, this won't happen.

That's not entirely correct. The engine portion of UrT is opensource. That part can make it license wise. The content (game-data, game-code) is allowed to be redistributed if it's electronically distributed. This portion will have to remain in non-free sections. Which non-free repositories are disabled by default.

#4 User is offline   PureFilth Icon

• Account: purefilth
  • Main tag: [#!]

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

Not a good idea.
Well it is but it would not be done well anyway.
I once saw a "getdeb" install of Urban Terror. What. A. Mess. Random files all over the place, some not even locatable.

What is so hard about unzipping the game into /home/username/local/games/
Then creating a symlink to the executable, renaming it "urt" and moving it into /bin/ so you can just terminal + urt or make launchers/menu entries.

At least you know where everything is, and what there is, it literally takes all of 2 minutes.

#5 User is offline   pemibo Icon

• Account: pemibo

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostRylius, on 28 March 2011 - 04:31 PM, said:

But there is other software in the Software Center that is not open source (the multiverse repository)!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Rylius Icon

• Account: rylius
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

http://www.ubuntu.co...buntu/licensing
I've based my post on this, judge by yourself - in _my_ opinion it won't make it :)

#7 User is offline   skandee Icon

• Account: skandee

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostPureFilth, on 28 March 2011 - 09:38 PM, said:

Not a good idea.
Well it is but it would not be done well anyway.
I once saw a "getdeb" install of Urban Terror. What. A. Mess. Random files all over the place, some not even locatable.

What is so hard about unzipping the game into /home/username/local/games/
Then creating a symlink to the executable, renaming it "urt" and moving it into /bin/ so you can just terminal + urt or make launchers/menu entries.

At least you know where everything is, and what there is, it literally takes all of 2 minutes.

Well this don't makes things easier. I agree the deb files from getdeb is a mess, but things like that can be fixed. The point of putting UT into USC is to make the installation far better, easier and without any problems. You see, some of the newcomers to the linux world, have problems to fit in, because tons of things are to complicated.
If it had been added to the USC, it would undoubtedly helped UT with a boost in the number of players (since it is easier to get) and raise the average skill level (because of the number of players will grow). It takes time to learn and understand a new OS if you have convert from windows, it should not be unnecessarily difficult to install a game quality! there's no point in discussing if this is fastest way to do this, you know it!

#8 User is offline   flajaz Icon

• Account: flajaz

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I would like to see *.deb and *.rpm packages of Urban Terror, adding it to USC could be a plus to get more players. Packages would make it better to install, I don't like to see Urban Terror in a folder in Downloads, I prefer having it installed in the right place.

#9 User is offline   MajkiFajki Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: majkifajki

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

Isn't UrT in Playdeb repo?

http://www.playdeb.n...0Urban%20Terror

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942