Urban Terror Forums: Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage Rate Topic: -----

100 percent cpu usage

#1 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

• Account: lammesnail
  • Main tag: =KRH=

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Hi there!

Linux expert needed!

I am running multiple urt servers on Ubuntu, every server runs in a different user's name / home directory.
Normally an empty server makes 0.2-1.2 percent CPU usage, but i have a bot server with 12 bots: and about 20% CPU usage.
So I run on this VIRTUAL Ubuntu about 6 servers and about 30-40% CPU load.
(Great part of them are significant empty since they are private and jump servers, etc)

What my problem is: I start a new server (after the above config and 30-40% CPU load)with a different new user and the CPU begins to burn with all the rest percentages.
I tried to copy a complet working server to this user, and I tried to power on a newly downloaded config with total default settings and mapcycle - the same result.

I tried to monitor my linux with oprofile what happens and it seems the kernel is burning the CPU.
http://lbrandy.com/b...fun-and-profit/

I have screenshots from this monitoring with and without starting this problematic server. Trying with other ubuntu user results the same. Waiting for any idea or reply, thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   Zamy Icon

• Account: zamy

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ubuntu it's not the ideal choice for a server...
This is an example of that.

#3 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Dear Zamy,

Thanks for the reply. I use the Ubuntu 10.10 server version. If not that, then what is the ideal environment for running multiple urt servers (+LAMP)?

Is there any idea for the solution on the current system?

Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Runamuk Icon

• Account: runamuk

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

Some basic info is needed to help with this:

System information: CPU, Ram and such.
Dedicated professional server or your home pc?
What other programs are you running at the same time?

I run servers on Ubuntu 10 and have no issues. It depends on your equipment and what the equipment is being made to do.

#5 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Dear Ranamuk,

Thank you for your response.
Here I try to answer your questions as best I can.
Hardware:
oldschool AMD 4400+
4GB RAM (1400MB for the guest machine)
SATA HDD
Intel pro 1000 LAN (paravirt/bridge mode)
integrated VGA

Software:
Win7 prof host (not the best choose i know) :-)
Virtualbox newest today 4.0.6
Ubuntu 10.10 server
Normal LAMP applications next to urt servers (apache2, mysql, exim4) with a minimum load.

About the urt servers: here you can find which servers I run: www.clankrh.hu
2 of them with Mandingo and 3 of them with B3.

Currently I can not power on our private, match and the lowgrav servers with the same effect above described. (They ran before but not all at the same time).

The high CPU load comes even if all servers are empty (if starting a "sick" one).

Guest OS and host OS restart did not help.

Please feel free to ask more questions and thank you very much any response in advance

Oliver

View PostRunamuk, on 05 May 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I run servers on Ubuntu 10 and have no issues. It depends on your equipment and what the equipment is being made to do.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Dear Helpers!

I changed the total server system from the above to this one:
Host: Esxi @ Intel E5700, G41, 8GB DDR3
Guest: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 3GB RAM, dedicated only to run urt servers

But the situation is the same. :-( Running different servers on the same machine under different users (/home/urt/... /home/urt2/...).
But once i wanna start a new server -which ran before- this one begins to burn the full available CPU.
I can run sometimes 7, but sometimes only 4 different urt servers at the same time without having the 100% CPU burn issue.
But once it happens with a user, i can not fix this user/server anymore.

I start the servers with a following (doesn't matter if so raw start it or in screen mode):

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
/home/urt2/urbanterror/ioUrTded.i386 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set dedicated 0 +set net_port XXXXX +set com_hunkmegs 128 +exec server.cfg
echo "server crashed on `date`" > last_crash.txt
done

Any idea? Thanks 4 helping me.

View PostRunamuk, on 05 May 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

#7 User is offline   Runamuk Icon

• Account: runamuk

Posted 30 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostLammeSnail, on 30 May 2011 - 01:22 PM, said:

Dear Helpers!

I changed the total server system from the above to this one:
Host: Esxi @ Intel E5700, G41, 8GB DDR3
Guest: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 3GB RAM, dedicated only to run urt servers

But the situation is the same. :-( Running different servers on the same machine under different users (/home/urt/... /home/urt2/...).
But once i wanna start a new server -which ran before- this one begins to burn the full available CPU.
I can run sometimes 7, but sometimes only 4 different urt servers at the same time without having the 100% CPU burn issue.
But once it happens with a user, i can not fix this user/server anymore.

I start the servers with a following (doesn't matter if so raw start it or in screen mode):

#!/bin/bash
while true
do
/home/urt2/urbanterror/ioUrTded.i386 +set fs_game q3ut4 +set dedicated 0 +set net_port XXXXX +set com_hunkmegs 128 +exec server.cfg
echo "server crashed on `date`" > last_crash.txt
done

Any idea? Thanks 4 helping me.

set_dedicated should be 2 not 0 and your hunkmegs should be set to 256 for ideal. Above that I would guess that it may involve you running a virtual Ubuntu server under Win7. You have 2 OS's using the same resources and Win7 is pretty resource intensive. Your Ubuntu Server isn't getting the full benefit of a clean system. Windows has a lot of background processes that use CPU and such. To run efficient servers you should have a fully dedicated Linux box not running under a virtual system. Virtual Systems should be run on massive machines that can handle the load and they don't involve Windows. At this point my best guess would be your setup of the dual OS's.

#8 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:17 PM

Dear Ranamuk,

Thank you for your quick answer.
Maybe I confused you, but in my last post i wrote i changed the earlier Windows7 host to Vmware Esxi, which delivers to the guest system (ubuntu) almost the speed of the host hardware. (I do not have Windows in my system currently).
And i replaced my old hardware as well.

And that is why i don't think this would be the problem of virtualization or any host system.

My last observation: at linux poweron i can run my 7 urt servers, but i stopped 2 of them later. And after some days configuration tried to run them again but both had the above described 100% CPU usage issue at start.

Thanks for any idea!

PS: dedicated 0 was set cause I didn't wanted anyone detect & connect to the server until it isn't fixed.
hunkmegs 128 found on urbanterror.net, but tried 256 as well with no change in my problem.

View PostRunamuk, on 30 May 2011 - 05:34 PM, said:

set_dedicated should be 2 not 0 and your hunkmegs should be set to 256 for ideal. Above that I would guess that it may involve you running a virtual Ubuntu server under Win7. You have 2 OS's using the same resources and Win7 is pretty resource intensive. Your Ubuntu Server isn't getting the full benefit of a clean system. Windows has a lot of background processes that use CPU and such. To run efficient servers you should have a fully dedicated Linux box not running under a virtual system. Virtual Systems should be run on massive machines that can handle the load and they don't involve Windows. At this point my best guess would be your setup of the dual OS's.

This post has been edited by LammeSnail: 30 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

#9 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

View PostZamy, on 05 May 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

Ubuntu it's not the ideal choice for a server...
This is an example of that.

Can I just say...

Dont talk pish!

k thx bye

back on topic: if your running in virtual machine then this is no doubt the problem.

secondly a server with bots will happily chew upwards of 40% on high end intel quads depending on how many players are in with the bots plus the more bots the more cpu is needed. bots are not supported by urban terror for the simple fact that they are extremely buggy and could do with a lot of code clean up.

if your running 6 urt servers off the one server I would start by making sure your fully dedicated first before attempting anything else.

virtual hosts are a problem in themselves simply because it means sharing computer resources such has cpu cycles and I/O throughput and bandwidth too. some server providers also only give you access to 1 core on virtual machines also which would clearly not handle 6 servers

it is also not a question of your hunkmegs as this would automatically adjust if needed, research I have done on this has concluded that a setting of 128 is fine even on 32slot servers with custom maps. if the server required more than 128 it would automatically allocate a further 128 if needed

This post has been edited by nitro: 30 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#10 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Dear Nitro,

Thanks for your kind answer. I try to describe my doubts.

1. Virtual or not, at the beginning runs 7-8 servers without problem, later only less, although no change in server and in urt config either, and have a lots of free memory and CPU %.

2. I am a clan server administrator so we need more then one server (f.e. jump, privat/training, war, public etc). One of them is a BOT server for newbies, here 10 bots "burn" the CPU with 2-8 percent. 2 cores are given to the virtual ubuntu (urt server).

3. About why virtualization: I've been checked my possibilities and Esxi seemed the best solution. I had to give access to users to help managing urt servers but without accessing my web/mail server. So with virtualization i only have 1 hardware.

4. I started this topic because tought not i am the first with own server running multiple urt servers on it. If someone else has experience like mine.

5. About resources again: bad I/O and whatever... I tought as well that my hardware is overloaded and that is why changed the hardware. But is it not the answer since at the linux poweron i can start much more servers then later... :-(

6. I do not have a provider, my server runs at home and have full access.

7. Hunkmegs: thanks for the info.

Waiting for any help and thanks for your efforts guys!

PS: Nitro let me allow the possibility that i ask you again about why you permanently banned me from your server after only 1 playing round and without any explanation? I am a clan server administrator and never cheated.
What i do if i see a suspicious player: warn him, spec him, record him then tempban him.
I am not crying for playing on your server just waited for some explanation because I have a well known, unchanged, old name since years even on UAA servers like Fidelitas etc.

View Postnitro, on 30 May 2011 - 07:16 PM, said:

Can I just say...

Dont talk pish!

k thx bye

back on topic: if your running in virtual machine then this is no doubt the problem.

secondly a server with bots will happily chew upwards of 40% on high end intel quads depending on how many players are in with the bots plus the more bots the more cpu is needed. bots are not supported by urban terror for the simple fact that they are extremely buggy and could do with a lot of code clean up.

if your running 6 urt servers off the one server I would start by making sure your fully dedicated first before attempting anything else.

virtual hosts are a problem in themselves simply because it means sharing computer resources such has cpu cycles and I/O throughput and bandwidth too. some server providers also only give you access to 1 core on virtual machines also which would clearly not handle 6 servers

it is also not a question of your hunkmegs as this would automatically adjust if needed, research I have done on this has concluded that a setting of 128 is fine even on 32slot servers with custom maps. if the server required more than 128 it would automatically allocate a further 128 if needed

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942