Urban Terror Forums: Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage Rate Topic: -----

100 percent cpu usage

#11 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

View PostLammeSnail, on 30 May 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

Dear Nitro,

Thanks for your kind answer. I try to describe my doubts.

1. Virtual or not, at the beginning runs 7-8 servers without problem, later only less, although no change in server and in urt config either, and have a lots of free memory and CPU %.

2. I am a clan server administrator so we need more then one server (f.e. jump, privat/training, war, public etc). One of them is a BOT server for newbies, here 10 bots "burn" the CPU with 2-8 percent. 2 cores are given to the virtual ubuntu (urt server).

3. About why virtualization: I've been checked my possibilities and Esxi seemed the best solution. I had to give access to users to help managing urt servers but without accessing my web/mail server. So with virtualization i only have 1 hardware.

4. I started this topic because tought not i am the first with own server running multiple urt servers on it. If someone else has experience like mine.

5. About resources again: bad I/O and whatever... I tought as well that my hardware is overloaded and that is why changed the hardware. But is it not the answer since at the linux poweron i can start much more servers then later... :-(

6. I do not have a provider, my server runs at home and have full access.

7. Hunkmegs: thanks for the info.

Waiting for any help and thanks for your efforts guys!

Hopefully my quote will highlight your issues unless you have an extremely high upload you are not going to get 7-8 servers off your home connection and secondly you can prevent users access to your webserver configs with the need of virtualisation, purely just using virtualisation hardware powered or not its going to affect your game experience (especially when hosted on a client OS such as windows 7.

P.S. What you'll also find is that your home connection will have a bandwidth limit and when you go over that limit your ISP will probably throttle your connection so even if you did have an extremely fast upload it would probably be throttled half way through a month. I host 4 servers and my average bandwidth is about 400 Gigabytes per month.

P.P.S. I unbanned you decades ago, if you weren't rude in your response to me in PM's I might have actually replied to you.

This post has been edited by nitro: 30 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#12 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

• Account: lammesnail
  • Main tag: =KRH=

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

Dear Nitro,

Thanks for your answer again.
As I mentioned before my host system isn't now Windows7, i replaced it with Vmware Esxi 4.1.1.
This kind of virtulazitanion fits the needs even datacenters so i tought would work for me as well.

At home i have a fibre cable internet connection with 75Mbit download and 25Mbit upload bandwidth, I tought it would be enough. Check your ping to my servers (=KRH=) please.
Some hundred Gigabytes per month is not an issue for me since next the server hosting i download lets say family data since years... :-)

About the "abnormal server amount": OK then I search for contacting people who host more then 4 urt servers on one single computer (virtual and NOT virtual).
What is the required hardwer for for example 6 or 8 urt servers with separate B3s each?

Do you have a graph about the load of your 4 servers? Just wanna know what waits for me.

I just want to find solution to my problem. If the CPU is weak i am going to replace it with a Quad Core. If the HDD and I/O is weak, then powerup a Ramdrive or buy an SSD... or whatever... just wanna know what the problem is (since 4 empty urt server "eats" 1-2 percent each, but the fifth takes all the rest to 100% - i don't think it's normal...) :-(

And one more important info: by my experience server with 10 bots does not require more CPU percent then server with 10 online players. Interesting.

Thanks for the unban. I was just asking the reason, since you are the server admin and you can ban anyone. Was i playing suspiciously good? Then you should see my son playing he is member in many clans even in urban zone division 1 participants...

Regards

View Postnitro, on 30 May 2011 - 10:21 PM, said:

Hopefully my quote will highlight your issues unless you have an extremely high upload you are not going to get 7-8 servers off your home connection and secondly you can prevent users access to your webserver configs with the need of virtualisation, purely just using virtualisation hardware powered or not its going to affect your game experience (especially when hosted on a client OS such as windows 7.

P.S. What you'll also find is that your home connection will have a bandwidth limit and when you go over that limit your ISP will probably throttle your connection so even if you did have an extremely fast upload it would probably be throttled half way through a month. I host 4 servers and my average bandwidth is about 400 Gigabytes per month.

P.P.S. I unbanned you decades ago, if you weren't rude in your response to me in PM's I might have actually replied to you.

This post has been edited by LammeSnail: 30 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

#13 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

Is it a specific server that is constantly hitting 100% cpu?, if so try deleting the server excutable and replace it with a freshly downloaded version. there may be a problem with that, if not that then it maybe is specific to what that server is doing... whats the config of the server hittin 100% like? is it the one with bots? how many slots does it have? on average how many slots are full?

My server performance stats can be found @ http://nitroservers.co.uk/sysinfo

I run 3 UrT servers, 1 COD2, 1 Minecraft server, Teamspeak, mumble, 3 websites, auto download, mysql, ip2location server and a VPN.

This post has been edited by nitro: 30 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#14 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi there Nitro,

Thanks for your answer.
You have a powerful hardware... especially the CPU... :-)

So again my problem is: I re-run an earlier ran server, and when it is the fifth urt server, it eats all the rest CPU percentage (and it is empty of course).
All other urt servers eat (empty) only 1-2 percent CPU, but the fifth eats 90+ %.
I tried more then one urt servers powerup with the same effect, so it isn't a specific one.

Configuration does not matter, i tried in one case to download and replace a total original config from Frosensand. Happened the same.

I need more urt servers above 4, but they will be 99% empty, since they will be for private training or just jump maps or clan wars. But i can not run them even empty since the CPU begins to run high.

My last tought is if a single (virtual) server can run only 4 urt servers, then i install a second virtual ubuntu to run the rest of the urt servers. ;-)

I am going to inform you about my experience if interested.

Meanwhile i still search for contact with server admins who runs 4+ urt servers on the same machine.

Have a nice day!

View Postnitro, on 30 May 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

Is it a specific server that is constantly hitting 100% cpu?, if so try deleting the server excutable and replace it with a freshly downloaded version. there may be a problem with that, if not that then it maybe is specific to what that server is doing... whats the config of the server hittin 100% like? is it the one with bots? how many slots does it have? on average how many slots are full?

This post has been edited by LammeSnail: 31 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

#15 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

Adding a second virtual machine will probably make it worse, I know you keep on saying that ESXI gets close to dedicated performance, thats great when your talking about sharing resources between lots of users or managing lots of webservers, but what you have to understand is that its virtual and game servers where not design to be run in virtual enviroments.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

View Postnitro, on 31 May 2011 - 11:43 AM, said:

Adding a second virtual machine will probably make it worse, I know you keep on saying that ESXI gets close to dedicated performance, thats great when your talking about sharing resources between lots of users or managing lots of webservers, but what you have to understand is that its virtual and game servers where not design to be run in virtual enviroments.

Dear Nitro,

Thanks for your help so far. I installed a second virtual Ubuntu and this solved my problem, now i can run altogether 8 servers at the same time (7 own + 1 for my friend Szape ). The hardware is powerful enough for this role. Now the router can not handle the amount of little game-packages, i am gonna replace it. :)
Although the mysterious case about running 5+ urt servers and the last eats all the free CPU is still unsolved.

#17 User is offline   Pretender1988 Icon

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

Interesting Case study.
I will try virtual VM with One ubuntu server. How much ram u allocate for say 16 or 12 slot?
I have q6600 @ 2.4 but i can make it 3 or 3.2 ... but have to decide on RAM. :tongue:

Any advice for my experiment is appreciated.

Also @ snail are u using 11.04 or 10.04 server or Ubuntu desktop ? Cos i have all 3 but i think latest server of ubuntu has bug of Grub 2 not getting installed.

Cya on sunday
“Be the change you want to see in the world.”
"Treat Others The Way You Want To Be Treated"
"One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness"
[IMG]http://i1114.photobu...r1988/val-1.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://cache.www.gam...E1B5_2E3226.png[/img]

#18 User is offline   LammeSnail Icon

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostPretender1988, on 01 July 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

Interesting Case study.
I will try virtual VM with One ubuntu server. How much ram u allocate for say 16 or 12 slot?
I have q6600 @ 2.4 but i can make it 3 or 3.2 ... but have to decide on RAM. :tongue:

Any advice for my experiment is appreciated.

Also @ snail are u using 11.04 or 10.04 server or Ubuntu desktop ? Cos i have all 3 but i think latest server of ubuntu has bug of Grub 2 not getting installed.

Cya on sunday

Hi there,

Sorry for my late answer, i was away and busy. I have to say i am bit beginner, have no black karate belt in linux area...
First of all i share my config and answers to your questions included:
I hope this helps.

hardware background : Q8300 @ 2.5GHz = 10,000 MHz total
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
Gigabyte G41 MBO
Hitachi 1.5TB SATA3 @ 7200rpm
intel pro1000 desktop PCIe x 3
FSP 350W power supply
2xsilent 12cm case cooler @ 800rpm
CPU cooler CooolerMaster Hyper212 Plus + 12cm cooler @ 800MHz
Power consuption about 60W (measured)

software background
ESXi
1. virtual machine - pf sense firewall
1 core, 512MB RAM
ESXi performance graph: 600MHz CPU

2. virtual machine - my web and mail server (LAMP), Ubuntu 10.04
1 core, 512MB RAM
ESXi performance graph: 30-80MHz CPU

3. virtual machine - urban terror server #1
2 cores, 3GB RAM, Ubuntu 10.04
runs the following urt servers:
- bot, 24 slots, usually half load + B3
- funny, 32 slots, usually half load +B3
- war, 18 slots, minimum load or no usage
- pro jumper, 20 slots, minimum load or no usage
- for my friend, 18 slots, minimum-full load +B3
ESXi performance graph: 600-700MHz CPU, 18 players online (total)

4. virtual machine - urban terror server #2
1 core, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 10.04
runs my experimental DLNA server mediatomb
runs the following urt servers:
- nader-knifer, 18 slots, minimum load or no usage + B3
- private clan training, 18 slots, no load
- uberjumps only, 14 slots, minimum load or no usage
- one as donation for an international kids community, 16 slots, minimum load or no usage
ESXi performance graph: 200-450MHz CPU, 6 players online (total)

5. virtual machine - WinXP
1 core, about 2.5GB RAM
Teamspeak3 server 512 slots, minimum load (about 10-40 slots)
Minecraft Beta
UrbanTerror 4.2 alpha, 22 slots, minimum load or no usage
ESXi performance graph: 800MHz CPU, no online players :)

So that is it, i hope my short list is enough (and very) detailed :)
Did i miss any question to answer? :)

If you still have questions, feel free to write me.

Oliver
=KRH=LammeSnail

This post has been edited by LammeSnail: 28 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

#19 User is offline   Pretender1988 Icon

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:11 AM

No man that was a comprehensive answer.

Sorry i forgot about this thread.
I will share my setup if i do it on permanent basis.
Still u have drawn a good picture for those who dare to go in unknown waters.

Cheers and all the best.
“Be the change you want to see in the world.”
"Treat Others The Way You Want To Be Treated"
"One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness"
[IMG]http://i1114.photobu...r1988/val-1.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://cache.www.gam...E1B5_2E3226.png[/img]

#20 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostLammeSnail, on 05 May 2011 - 10:22 AM, said:

Hi there!

Linux expert needed!

I am running multiple urt servers on Ubuntu, every server runs in a different user's name / home directory.
Normally an empty server makes 0.2-1.2 percent CPU usage, but i have a bot server with 12 bots: and about 20% CPU usage.
So I run on this VIRTUAL Ubuntu about 6 servers and about 30-40% CPU load.
(Great part of them are significant empty since they are private and jump servers, etc)

What my problem is: I start a new server (after the above config and 30-40% CPU load)with a different new user and the CPU begins to burn with all the rest percentages.
I tried to copy a complet working server to this user, and I tried to power on a newly downloaded config with total default settings and mapcycle - the same result.

I tried to monitor my linux with oprofile what happens and it seems the kernel is burning the CPU.
http://lbrandy.com/b...fun-and-profit/

I have screenshots from this monitoring with and without starting this problematic server. Trying with other ubuntu user results the same. Waiting for any idea or reply, thanks in advance!

are you trying to run ioUrTded.x86_64? if so, don't. Its bad bad bad. Run ioUrTded.i386 even on 64bit machines. I was experiencing similar problems and it turns out the 64bit binary is so bum it really causes bad problems. If you need more help, lemme know. I run a few UrT gameservers and have some knowledge about linux.

PS TO EVERYONE: Virtual box's are not a problem, *IF* its a proper setup and decent vm software. I have actually experienced BETTER performance in certain areas with UrT servers running them in a virtual environment.

PS TO NITRO: There are a few custom maps that will require com_hunkmegs to be manually set higher than 128mb. I know this from experience, had a server that kept crashing at 128 hunk megs cause i had a ridiculously huge map in the mapcycle, upped hunkmegs to 256 and all was fine. Imho running a ioUrTded without 256(or even 512) hunkmegs is going to negatively effect performance. (at least from my experiences) I run 512 on all my gameservers, but yes that is overkill. But with 20gb's ram in the server, who cares? lol

This post has been edited by Slackin: 02 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

[img]http://i188.photobuc...n35/urt/sig.jpg[/img]
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
All normal mapped(bump mapped) and specular mapped .|^|.
Just a few of many, and more to come.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942