Urban Terror Forums: Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Running multiple servers on Ubuntu causes high kernel usage Rate Topic: -----

100 percent cpu usage

#21 User is offline   Pretender1988 Icon

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

View PostSlackin, on 02 August 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

There are a few custom maps that will require com_hunkmegs to be manually set higher than 128mb. I know this from experience, had a server that kept crashing at 128 hunk megs cause i had a ridiculously huge map in the mapcycle, upped hunkmegs to 256 and all was fine. Imho running a ioUrTded without 256(or even 512) hunkmegs is going to negatively effect performance. (at least from my experiences) I run 512 on all my gameservers, but yes that is overkill. But with 20gb's ram in the server, who cares? lol

Thats some gr8 info.
So 256 is appropriate and 512 if u have it for spare.
What about OS? Any experience on that?
I tried Ubuntu and will experiment in CentOS and FreeBSD.

Cya later :happy:
“Be the change you want to see in the world.”
"Treat Others The Way You Want To Be Treated"
"One of the greatest victories you can gain over someone is to beat him at politeness"
[IMG]http://i1114.photobu...r1988/val-1.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://cache.www.gam...E1B5_2E3226.png[/img]

#22 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostPretender1988, on 02 August 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

Thats some gr8 info.
So 256 is appropriate and 512 if u have it for spare.
What about OS? Any experience on that?
I tried Ubuntu and will experiment in CentOS and FreeBSD.

Cya later :happy:

This is all ubuntu for the real server, I have run many things at home on my slackware boxes with better performance noticed, but slackware for a remote server is lol really. Do not try it. I don't and I know slackware pretty damn well, been using it 13 years now.

NOTE: I might actually try CentOS myself, I think there may be a bit of a performance difference between ubuntu and cent, but this is just a guess-stament as I have no experience with CentOS what so ever. Ubuntu is generally overly generic which is nice for easy, quick, stable, reliable deployment, but can come at a slight cost of performance and customization ability.

As for BSD..... idk, seems like too much work to me. I'm too busy with other stuff to mess with bsd at the moment.
[img]http://i188.photobuc...n35/urt/sig.jpg[/img]
/*----------------------------------------------------------------------
All normal mapped(bump mapped) and specular mapped .|^|.
Just a few of many, and more to come.
----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942