Urban Terror Forums: Bumpmapping Modifications - Enthusiastic Mappers Required - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (112 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bumpmapping Modifications - Enthusiastic Mappers Required Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#41 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist
  • Locationseahorse seahell

Posted 11 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

anyone forgot about crazybump?

and very nice 27.

#42 User is offline   pmt3ddy (old) Icon

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

I am no coder, mapper,  or model designer   I am just a PLAYER and i am just expressing my opions on how i feel about the game about and in my opinion what i would like to see come out this game.

I understand what you're saying. Higher quality/sized textures would make a lot of maps much much nicer.
However, as mappers we have to consider the size of the pk3 too. With so many third party maps as Urban Terror has, anything over 50 MB is just crazy (though I have seen bigger file sizes) because there are people who have to auto download them if a server uses them. Downloading times will be insane.

Not to mention that the quake 3 engine is somewhat outdated. Even if you have high quality textures and above 512x512 size , it'll slow the map down considerably because the engine is simply not build for these kind of sizes. Not saying it can't handle it, it can, but with loss of fps as far as I know.

Plus, with this awesome modification, our pk3's will increase in size even more since we need to include double the amount of textures. First the regular texture and then the _n.tga texture.
And as someone already mentioned, mapping for us is a hobby, not a job. We don't get paid by the hour for mapping, however, we do all we can to create fun maps. Realistic looking or not.

#43 User is offline   Nitro (old) Icon

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

However, as mappers we have to consider the size of the pk3 too.

I see what you mean, however i was thinking more along the lines of maps that would be included with future releases of urban terror.  there are somewhat 30+ maps that currently come with urbanterror and i generally usually only ever see about 7-12 of these constantly being played..  would it not be better for future releases to have say 15 better Quality Maps rather than 30 lower quality ones?  and even if this means that the size of Urt doubles  too 1.5GB  its  still reasonable to download since most people nowadays are buying games like Crysis and cod4  online as a download!  i purchased COD4 on download and only  got it at about 200KB/s  but i still got it come the next day.  and you would only have to download this once. yes it would put bandwidth ammounts up too but there are soo many places like file front / gamershell  that can host the files also.  and for those with slow basic broadband speeds the game would be  downloaded with a couple hours.

anyways  it was just a thought and a potential relistic idea  but if the game requires something like a new engine just for better graphics then its not worth it  but if we could double the textures  quality (if not better)  then wouldnt that just push the minimum specifications up a bit?  but  even with the Recommended specs  you can get a pc  out a dumbster  thats  twice the perfornce that whats need to run urt  at high gfxs currently.

let me know what you think..

#44 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

not everyone has the video memory to support really big textures ;)

#45 User is offline   Nitro (old) Icon

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

not everyone has the video memory to support really big textures ;)

Tell me who  ...  the  homeless guy  a the cornor of my street  has a ps3 :S 

lol  joking aside..

just like the  more demanding games like cod4  have higher textures,  it can also be run at lower quality..  so i would assume  it just doesnt render the texture in as much detail there for urban terror could also do this ?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   Dragonne Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: dragonne

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

OK kids, please take the "update the engine to handle higher detail textures" to a new thread. Stay on topic here please.

Good stuff 27. This is likely not a screenie I should be posting but it was my choice of maps to try this on, soooo...

Posted Image

:-o :-D

#47 User is offline   žalost (old) Icon

• vivisectionist

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

i like the flooring to the right. good example of the modifications :)
ricochet ftw

#48 User is offline   ironized (old) Icon

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

i hope the flooring was the only bit of bumpeh mappah, cause i can't see any other...

#49 User is offline   Dragonne Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: dragonne

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:30 PM

It's on the walls too, but VERY subtle. They aren't supposed to be reflective, polished block walls, but instead semi-matte that only take a hint of lighting around them. As you move you can see it in other places in the map on that texture, exactly the way I want it.

Remember, not everything needs specular and/or bumpmapping. A smooth, totally matte surface doesn't need it. Besides, I'm not trying to make glowy, slobbery, spoogy Doom3 maps! :lol:

#50 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

dragonne, plz use 2xaa lol

• (112 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942