Urban Terror Forums: Bumpmapping Modifications - Enthusiastic Mappers Required - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (112 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bumpmapping Modifications - Enthusiastic Mappers Required Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#21 User is offline   ironized (old) Icon

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

8600gt.
ill check on the alpha channel..

edit, tried adding a alpha channel, no new luck

#22 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Just to be clear; my comment was written in response to the Casa screenshot - pmt3ddy made his post while I was writing.

Looking at that it seems like the specular are using the skybox textures for reflection - is that correct? And if so would it be possible to assign something else instead in the shader?

#23 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

Oh!  Forgot one important thing.  The maps need to be vis'd for this to work!

The reflections on the surface are basically an approximation of what the surface sees + some pow() stuff to make it behave like specular lighting.

So, a crate sitting inside a skybox is going to be reflecting mostly sky.  Anything near white or white in the reflection is treated as a lightsource - so big bright white clouds in the skybox = pain.

To be honest, the pow() I used is a little low at 3.0, a higher pow()  of 5.0 or so might be a better choice.  You can edit that in the glsl/world_fragment.cfg

#24 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

jeezuz, im too tired to understand it all, guess ill just download and start poking at it

#25 User is offline   TRaK (old) Icon

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

For those of you who use linux/don't have photoshop, there's a pretty decent plugin for The Gimp that does the same thing as the nvidia plugin.

Trying to generate normal maps from the diffuse texture will almost always give awful results, making your textures look like they're covered in a thick film of semen. Ideally, you should create a 3d model of your texture and use that to produce a normalmap. However, you can also get quite acceptable results (much better than simple batching, without a doubt), by creating a grayscale heightmap from your texture, and applying the normalmap filter to that.

There's a good tutorial on the technique here: http://www.katsbits....from_images.htm

Great work 27, I'll try this on ut4_desolate sometime soonish. Any chance we'll see parallax added eventually?  :-D

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:16 PM

track, i knew such a thing existed but thanks for the bit of more info on it. im getting rusty i need to get back into while i still some of my brain cells left.

#27 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

I know Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion uses this and it doesn't give that ugly shiny look. Must be a difference in the way the engine handles it.

#28 User is offline   codey (old) Icon

• Locationrepublic.stockholm.se

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

Does it take into account light entity and/or surface lights? Bumpmapping specularity with reflections usually makes things slimey-shiny, it would probably look nicer if it simply created 'embossed' highlights and shadows.

#29 User is offline   Dragonne Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: dragonne

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

For those of you without PhotoShop (or like me can't get the NVidia plugin to even load, POS), and don't use linux/Gimp, try this:

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=352085

It's far from the best, but if you make a .jgp greyscale heightmap, you can easily convert it to a normalmap. It's not "awesome" in the results you get, but the main point of it is that the quality of your heightmap is what's important. Spend the time on getting a heightmap that is great, and your normalmap will definitely be better.

#30 User is offline   TwentySeven Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Engine Developer
  • Account: twentyseven

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

Taking entity lights or doing a full three-lightmap radbump pass like hl2, while possible, means a recompile of the whole map.

I wanted to do something at first to see what we could do with the data thats already there.

Lets see how this goes, and if noone can make it look decent, I'll see about doing a full radbump version.

• (112 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942